NREMT Recert Skills Documentation

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
For recertifying my NREMT I understand there is a CE portion and a Skills portion. The CE part is all taken care of, and I'll be doing skills with my FTO (sounds more like an internal requirement).

So, my question is, how do I need to keep record of me getting these skills signed off? That said, what skills does the NREMT need proof of? They offer 3 options for recertifying (online, exam, paper), and I am doing Online, however there is no mention of skills (it was my FTO that brought it up). The paper track (https://www.nremt.org/nremt/EMTServices/emt_re_reg_form.asp), however, does have a section regarding skill sign offs. But why would they want that paper filled out in addition to recertifying online? Or am I just completely wrong, and they are actually looking for the individual NREMT skill sheets to be signed (https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/psychomotor_exam_emt.asp)?

When I get a phone call in 5 years saying "Hey, can you show me your proof of CE and skill sign offs?", what form(s) do I need to provide that verify my skills having been signed off?

I'd call the NREMT, and probably still will, but just can't do so until next week and am trying to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks for the help!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I seem to recall always just having skills signed off on skill sheets and they were kept in a file. In the event you were audited, which seemed to happen to at least one medic I knew every cycle, you would just present them with the material that showed you had completed it.

Both your training officer and your medical director have to electronically sign your forms. Their signatures attest to your competency with skills.

That's why most agencies hold a clinical competency skills day. Everybody gets signed off at once, the training officer has a record that there was a competency assessment session and there's never any question.

With exam, you just have your FTO verify your skills and send in the form. It was quick and easy. (I did a megacode, tubed the head and put a KED on a very unhappy EMT thatt we happened to find in the kitchen.)