NREMT-P exam

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
hey guys,

Finished internship this week and got my authorization to test letter. Have my NREMT-P exam scheduled for Tues and immediately after I am on my first vacation in 2 years! Not really worried about registry....I test pretty good and know my stuff. I was just wondering if anyone had any weird stuff pop up on theirs that maybe I should brush up on. I am the second one from my class to test....my buddy passed his and said there was alot of OB questions and some weird operations type stuff. Just give me some general advice. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Don't be a toolbag!! Haha

Congrats buddy!

I had a ton of respiratory pathophysiology and neurogenic shock questions.

Used EMT-national-training.com and it seemed to help get me used to taking the NREMT style test.

BlackDog62

Forum Ride Along
I took my NREMT-P written on Tuesday and passed the first time. I was sure I had failed because my test did not cut off in that "magic 80-90 question range." I finished my paramedic program in August, tested out my Intermediate in July. I think that gave me a little advantage with Pearson and how the tests work.

My test had a lot of pathophysiology on it, particularly respiratory, drip rate calculations, operations, etc. The test is adaptive so there's no clear cut "what's on the test" answer.

My advice, yes the test is hard, but don't make a monster out of it. Read your questions carefully to make sure you understand what they are asking. I was told that's the number one reason for first time failures.

Best of luck and be confident! Don't second guess yourself!

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but usually if your NREMT exam is heavy on any one subject, it means you are doing poorly in that subject.

The test will continue to assess which category you are underperforming in and slowly give you question of escalating difficulty until you either satisfy the requirement for that category, or fail the category, at which point it will cut you off.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but usually if your NREMT exam is heavy on any one subject, it means you are doing poorly in that subject.

The test will continue to assess which category you are underperforming in and slowly give you question of escalating difficulty until you either satisfy the requirement for that category, or fail the category, at which point it will cut you off.

That's what I thought as well but like I said mine was heavy on respiratory and neuro pathophys and cut me off at 80 questions, another from my class had a similar experience with the same outcome.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
I remember being asked questions about mV, mm/s, size of small box/large box, etc. So, brush up on that before the test. Really, anything is fair game.

FireMedic87

Forum Ride Along
The National Registry CBT for Paramedic is different for every single test taker. The test is not by any means static; the questions administered are directly based off your previous answers in that given category (OB, Peds, Trauma, etc.). So, if you are answering questions at a high proficiency, you're going to get harder questions. If you're answering at a low proficiency, the questions in that area will either remain somewhat static in difficulty, or get lower in difficulty, but you're going to get more of them either way. So if the test seems to focus on one or two particular areas, those are your weak points. Additionally, each test contains approx. 20 to 60 questions that just don't count. NREMT places questions in every test for validation purposes, so when you see a question in which the question's material was most assuredly not covered anywhere in medic school and seems to extend beyond our reasonable scope of practice or knowledge, you're getting one of two things: a validation question or they're testing your powers of deductive reasoning. They want you to be able to deduce the answer to a question by using the knowledge you do have and applying it to the situation presented within that particular question.
Honestly the best thing you can do to prepare yourself is to acclimate yourself to the question style of the registry. Spend money on online test sources like JB Learning. Buy the book full of test questions from Barnes and Noble. Both are investments and will pay off.
And don't always buy into the whole magic number thing. Something like 25% of CBT's administered are going to arbitrarily go to the full 150 questions. So don't focus on how many questions you get, but the level at which the questions were. Lots of hard questions, you probably passed. Lot's of easy questions, you probably sucked and failed.
Also, don't be a tool-bag. Again, something like 25% of medic students who test, test just once, fail, and never test again. You're given 6 opportunities for a reason. This test is designed to fail you. Take absolutely every opportunity to test, don't waste two years of your life and thousands of dollars by being a tool-bag, testing once and failing, and never testing again.
Other than that, good luck! If your program director and program OMD have allowed you to get your letter to test that means they have full confidence in your abilities to pass. If they didn't, they wouldn't let you test, because numbers are important to them and they don't want anyone messing up their pass rate.

Last edited by a moderator: