NREMT EXPIRE HELP!

Redwoodbamf7

Forum Probie
So I never ended up getting my California license.... But my nremt expires next march 31... Is that a problem if I never got state license ? I'm confused.. I finished my course December 2016. Is it too late to get the California license?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Just recertify your NREMT as inactive. All you need is enough education hours or retake and pass the written test again.

OP
OP
R

Redwoodbamf7

Forum Probie
So it's considered inactive ?!
Just recertify your NREMT as inactive. All you need is enough education hours or retake and pass the written test again.

So is it considered inactive after expiration ?

Or inactive if I didn't get my Cali license yet

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you let your NREMT expire it is expired and is no longer good. If you want to keep your NREMT you must recertify it but request it to be placed on inactive status since you are not currently working as an EMT.

OP
OP
R

Redwoodbamf7

Forum Probie
If you let your NREMT expire it is expired and is no longer good. If you want to keep your NREMT you must recertify it but request it to be placed on inactive status since you are not currently working as an EMT.

So does have a state license affect this at all

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yes. Without your state license you are not able to recertify your NREMT to active status and must recertify it as inactive status.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ok so technically I'm inactive then since I never got my state license...
Since your NREMT has not expired yet you are still considered active. If you let it expire then it is considered expired or lapsed. If you choose to renew it then it will be considered valid but inactive.
Do I have to retake the whole course or just a refresher
If you let it expire depending on the time frame with maybe required to take a refresher or take the entire course again. If you don’t let it expire you just need to get enough continued education hours to keep it current. Go to the NREMT website and look under EMT lapse and EMT renew and you will find all this information.

OP
OP
R

Redwoodbamf7

Forum Probie
Since your NREMT has not expired yet you are still considered active. If you let it expire then it is considered expired or lapsed. If you choose to renew it then it will be considered valid but inactive.

If you let it expire depending on the time frame with maybe required to take a refresher or take the entire course again. If you don’t let it expire you just need to get enough continued education hours to keep it current. Go to the NREMT website and look under EMT lapse and EMT renew and you will find all this information.

I did but I'm just confused .... What state licensing has to do with any of this.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The NREMT is just used as a way that says you have met the minimum testing requirements to be an EMT and those results are good for 2 years. CA uses the NREMT as their testing process.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ok thank you .so it's not too late to get Cali certified then. What is usually required to do so
Go to the county EMS website for the county you live in or want to work in and follow their process for getting your state license.