NREMT Decals On Vehicles

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Is it ok to put the NREMT decal on your car to indicate that you are an NREMT?Is this a duty to act thing or a scope of practice thing? I am not affiliated with an agency yet. But if I come up to an accident with no one on scene yet, I will of course pull over and help. :rolleyes::huh: Please let me know. I know I cannot get EMT-B plates unless I am affiliated with an ambulance agency or rescue squad. That is the protocol in Minnesota.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Duty to Act Info

Dunno if it matters if you have a sticker or not, it says YES, you do have a duty to act in Minnesota.

Pull over if it's safe. Check if there are any injuries, and if they want help too. If so, call 9-1-1.

OP
OP
G

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Yes I agree, because I have worked for a printing plant in Minnesota, I have told them I am an EMT licensed. And if something would have occurred I would need to respond. They said they have their own response team. I said then fire me if I respond, because I have legal obligations to stop and assist. But I don't work for the company no longer. Their safety practices were not up to my specs anyhow. Thanks for the information.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yes I agree, because I have worked for a printing plant in Minnesota, I have told them I am an EMT licensed. And if something would have occurred I would need to respond. They said they have their own response team. I said then fire me if I respond, because I have legal obligations to stop and assist. But I don't work for the company no longer. Their safety practices were not up to my specs anyhow. Thanks for the information.

The company has no duty to alert you. Responding implies that you were told about an incident and went to it, which falls far outside of the "I happened upon it." type situation. You can also stop to assist and be asked to leave no matter where you are, the responding agency is not obligated to utilize you.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

that is freelancing and a big nono.

happening upon something is very different than self dispatching to an incident. This can land you in a lot of trouble and possibly lose your cert.

Each state has different laws so you may want to look into them.
Where I am I have a duty to act if I identify myself as a medic (or am outed by someone else) We also do not have a good Samaritan law.

you mention NREMT.. but are you state licensed? The NREMT cert by itself means you passed a test...nothing more nothing less.. and in no way allows you to practice as an EMT.

Without medical direction (in most states) you can only provide basic first aid.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
The company has no duty to alert you. Responding implies that you were told about an incident and went to it, which falls far outside of the "I happened upon it." type situation. You can also stop to assist and be asked to leave no matter where you are, the responding agency is not obligated to utilize you.

This. There is a difference between driving past and ambulance and responsing to an emergency in a large facility. I would suggest reading what your duty to act laws state. Many states are different. For example, in New Jersey we only have a duty to act in a motor vehicle accident if we are identify ourselves. If we drive buy in an unmarked vehicle and out of uniform, no duty to act.

Also, in most states that I know of, the duty to act only exists in a situation where equal or greater medical aid isn.t present. For example, if the company you worked for had a response team, already in response to the incident, you should not need to respond. Just the same as driving by a motor vehicle accident, medical emergency at a residence/building, fire care with an ambulance already on location. In fact, in all cases that I have had bystanders offer to help (identifying as a medical professional), I ask to leave scene, because I do not truly know their abilities and am not willing to verify their certs.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There are really states out there that require EMTs and Paramedics to act on a medical emergency they happen upon while off duty? What happens when the off duty provider is a Paramedic and the ambulance is a BLS unit? :rolleyes:

Did I miss something in class about donating my life to the cause or something? That's ridiculous.

You sound young bud, I'd be real careful about telling your employer what to do. Thats a great way to get yourself fired and get a black mark on your record which can follow you for the rest of your life if multiple companies tell HR departments that call about you that "no we would not rehire him".

I promise you that plant, that has a response team that you mentioned, knows the laws regarding medical response on their properties than you do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The decal is the size of my NREMT uniform patch.

Again. It depends on the state. If you advertise yourself a an Emt or medic it may be hard use / fall back on the Good Samaritan law.

I have nothing on my vehicle and I rarely wear any ems / fire clothing in public. I have been doing this for a while now and my free time is my free time. I will stop and help when needed but that is pretty rare and I usually never need to identify myself as a medic.
When I was new I had all kinds of stickers as shirts because I was so proud of being a medic. I made a few mistakes and looked like a total idiot in front of responding agencies before I learned my lesson.

We aren't trying to dog pile on you... Just speaking from experience.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Don't the EMT instructors reach about duty to act and freelancing?! I include it in my CPR classes!