Not sure if I should become an EMT

Rohan

Forum Ride Along
I’m currently in high school and I have 2 or 3 years until I finish but I’d like to go to college and become an EMT. The thing is I’m not sure if I can handle seeing everything that EMTs see. Do you get used of it? Thank you in advance.
Rohan

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Some get used to it, some don't. That is an individual question that you can only answer for yourself. For me, it was never the visual aspect that I had a problem with...it was the smells.

OP
OP
R

Rohan

Forum Ride Along
Some get used to it, some don't. That is an individual question that you can only answer for yourself. For me, it was never the visual aspect that I had a problem with...it was the smells.
How do you deal with it?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
To be blunt: suck it up and deal with it. It's not your emergency, it's the patient's and if you can't keep your focus then you shouldn't be in the field.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I don't know about most other people, but for me, those bad gory calls are so rare that I actually get excited when I run them. It's the one time I get to be a paramedic and not just a fancy taxi attendant. Those type of calls tend to seem unreal to me and I am almost in denial that it is happening as I attend to the patient. It is a lot less scary looking in real life than what you see on TV. I definitely cover my eyes watching TV, my dad and friends laugh when I used to do that in the movie theaters, but it doesn't look scary to me in real life. For example, if someone gets stabbed or shot, gun shot wounds tend to look like cigar burns to me and you can't usually tell how big the knife was when someone gets stabbed. Someone could be stabbed with a really large long serrated knife and it'll look like they were barely touched with an exactoknife/box cutter to me, haha. The bleeding tend to not be bad, in my opinion, probably because they don't usually hit major artieres even though that tends to be a concern. Like gun shot wounds will have no "hole", just a black small circle with some oozing, like an old scab was ripped or something, haha. Not bad in my opinion.

OP
OP
R

Rohan

Forum Ride Along
I don't know about most other people, but for me, those bad gory calls are so rare that I actually get excited when I run them. It's the one time I get to be a paramedic and not just a fancy taxi attendant. Those type of calls tend to seem unreal to me and I am almost in denial that it is happening as I attend to the patient. It is a lot less scary looking in real life than what you see on TV. I definitely cover my eyes watching TV, my dad and friends laugh when I used to do that in the movie theaters, but it doesn't look scary to me in real life. For example, if someone gets stabbed or shot, gun shot wounds tend to look like cigar burns to me and you can't usually tell how big the knife was when someone gets stabbed. Someone could be stabbed with a really large long serrated knife and it'll look like they were barely touched with an exactoknife/box cutter to me, haha. The bleeding tend to not be bad, in my opinion, probably because they don't usually hit major artieres even though that tends to be a concern. Like gun shot wounds will have no "hole", just a black small circle with some oozing, like an old scab was ripped or something, haha. Not bad in my opinion.
Thank you. That’s very motivating. I was worried I would see those gory calls everyday. I got my first aid certificate I loved the course so I feel like I would me good becoming an EMT.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank you. That’s very motivating. I was worried I would see those gory calls everyday. I got my first aid certificate I loved the course so I feel like I would me good becoming an EMT.
More important than how you handle gory calls would be how you are around people -- patients, partners, bosses, bystanders. Be dependable.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
only one way to find out....

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Just curious, how do you "have 2 or 3 years until you finish" high school?

Either you have 2 or you have 3, graduation dates are usually set in stone. Unless you are a home schooler or working on graduating early (hope you are not planning on failing a grade LOL).

OP
OP
R

Rohan

Forum Ride Along
Just curious, how do you "have 2 or 3 years until you finish" high school?

Either you have 2 or you have 3, graduation dates are usually set in stone. Unless you are a home schooler or working on graduating early (hope you are not planning on failing a grade LOL).
I’m behind in credits and I’m not sure exactly how long it will take to graduate I haven’t calculated it. My guidance counsellor says 2 or 3 years. But I’m doing a program where I get high school credits to work. Eventually I’ll go back to a real high school to take medical courses though.