Not supposed to happen to people like us...

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Sooooo on my way home from shift the day before Christmas Eve, I was coming through downtown Ft. Worth in the inside lane, when an 18 wheeler came into my lane and pushed me into the concrete wall that was separating oncoming traffic.

A few of you that know me a little more than others know that I am a country girl, and my truck is a tank. Chevy 1500 HD with a 4in lift kit, wide A/T tires, grill guard and bumper. The truck driver was obviously just drifting into my lane & when he did, I hit my horn.... and he kept coming over. That's when I stepped on my brakes and over corrected trying to avoid a collision with him, & hit the concrete wall.

I am okay, but my truck was my baby. My world.

I was still in uniform, but I freaked out. I went from doing 70 MPH to 0.. way too quickly. Witnesses pulled over and came running toward me while I was on the phone with dispatch. MedStar was 1st on scene. I was frantic. My driver door was slammed against the wall so I had to climb out the other way. I hopped over the wall with the EMT and proceeded to walk to the ambulance. Fire had not made scene yet, so people were still flying pass us.

The EMT kept asking if I was okay, I told her I was fine, but I couldn't stop crying and just kept saying... This isn't supposed to happen to people like us..

Bystanders said the truck driver stopped up the road and FWPD went up there, but were unable to find him. :glare:

A wrecker came and picked up my truck, I have a rental now... and now it's just sit and wait to find out if it's totaled or not. :sad:

I'm pretty depressed now. This sucks.

I am very fortunate, and glad that I am okay... but :(
It's not supposed to happen to people like us...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Glad you are ok...

I do not get the "people like us" comment as I have experienced either personally or through my co-workers almost every imaginable call we have ever been on. It happens to ALL OF US...

Stay safe.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I'm really sorry to hear about that, I know how you feel about your truck, I feel the same way about my Mustangs. It sucks when you put so much work into something and it gets wrecked :/

But like flightmedic said, these things happen to all of us, just because we're trained to respond to situations like this, doesn't mean we're immune to it. I'm glad you're ok though :)

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I'm so glad you're o.k. It does happen to people like us all the time. But I'm still really glad you are o.k. I don't understand people simply driving off after causing an accident though. I hope they find him.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
i am really glad you are OK!!!!!!!

WVEmt

Forum Crew Member
glad your ok. makes the 4th forum member in an accident the past few weeks.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
glad your ok. makes the 4th forum member in an accident the past few weeks.

5 forum Members.

You, Me, jtpaintball70, Stephanie, and socalmedic.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
5 forum Members.

You, Me, jtpaintball70, Stephanie, and socalmedic.

I had an accident!!! Oh wait, it wasn't in my car...never mind.

JPINFV

Gadfly
That's what insurance is for...

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Maby your try k can go to car heaven and park right next to my mustang. Seriously there must be something in the water

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Hoping you can get your truck repaired Steph. But I'm glad you yourself are ok!

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
Glad you're ok!! I can't imagine. I almost had a head on once and I'm sure I sounded like a total moron when I called it in. I was so freaked out.