Nosebleeds?

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
The big question, should you tilt your head forward or backward?

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Tilt head forward. Pinch the fleshy part of the nose if needed.

Tilting your head back just allows the blood to go back down your throat, which is probably not what you want.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Tilt head forward. Pinch the fleshy part of the nose if needed.

Tilting your head back just allows the blood to go back down your throat, which is probably not what you want.

unless youre a vampire.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
unless youre a vampire.

hmmm, I guess I didn't see that in my textbook....

roflcopter.PNG

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No, the true question is, do you want vomit or not?

When you answer that, you'll have your answer to the first one.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
No, the true question is, do you want vomit or not?

When you answer that, you'll have your answer to the first one.

Exactly, Linus.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The big question, should you tilt your head forward or backward?
Neither. Pull out the Defib paddles, set to 360J, and cauterize....:blink:

Seriously, blood has this nasty tendency to cause nausea... and that has a nasty tendency to cause vomiting. So if you want to experience coffee-ground emesis, go right ahead and tilt the head back...

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Blood tastes good.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
ive had chronic nosebleeds for my entire life, usually caused by th seasonal changes that dry out my nasal passages. I always tilt my head back and let the blood run down my throat and i never have a problem with vomiting

Melmd

Forum Crew Member
epistaxis

when epistaxis attacks, pinch the nose for 2-3 minutes tilt the patients head forward then let him/her breath through mouth... A cold compress or ice cubes may be placed on the bridge of the nose (in between the eyes) this may help in the vasoconstriction of the injured blood vessels inside the nose... If symptoms persists hit the ER and let the MD's (otolaryngologist) do the nasal packing...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
My favorite episode was when I had a nosebleed that wouldn't stop dripping... Turns out that the clot was about the size of my nasopharynx. How do I know... when I tilted my head back, the clot slid posteriorly and I felt it go... While I felt nauseated, I didn't vomit it back up... but I sure felt close to it!

Oh, and the dripping stopped after the clot went away... I suspect that it was almost, but not quite completely, congealed.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
ive had chronic nosebleeds for my entire life, usually caused by th seasonal changes that dry out my nasal passages. I always tilt my head back and let the blood run down my throat and i never have a problem with vomiting

The human body can't digest its own blood. Anyone else's is fine, just not its own. It'll either cause nausea and vomiting or it will pass thru the digestive tract and emerge as a black tarry stool.

Best way to stop a nose bleed is to tilt forward, occlude the angular artery by using pressure points on the bridge of the nose, and place a cold cloth/pack on the back of the neck.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've always been taught to tilt the head forward and pinch the nostrils shut and ice the bridge of the nose if needed. Never had a problem stopping a nose bleed using this, and it tends to be a common injury on the ski hill.

depri

Forum Probie
My favorite episode was when I had a nosebleed that wouldn't stop dripping... Turns out that the clot was about the size of my nasopharynx. How do I know... when I tilted my head back, the clot slid posteriorly and I felt it go... While I felt nauseated, I didn't vomit it back up... but I sure felt close to it!

Oh, and the dripping stopped after the clot went away... I suspect that it was almost, but not quite completely, congealed.

Just reading the way you describe it...wow. Makes it sound like it was a delightful event. Haha

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Just reading the way you describe it...wow. Makes it sound like it was a delightful event. Haha
Oh yeah.. highly delightful. So much so that I'd rather not do that again...Though at the time it was a rather odd sensation.