NOLS/SOLO/WMA WEMT (3-4 week EMT courses)

magsd94

Forum Ride Along
Hello hello! I'm looking into options for EMT school. I've wanted to do it a long time, but I lost my job because of COVID-19 so I finally have a gap in work that's allowing me to go for it. I've been interested in the WEMT programs at SOLO, NOLS, and the like. Does anyone have opinions or know about the reputations of these types of courses? I'll link to the one I'm most interested in as well. It's a course through SOLO Southeastern in Bryson City, NC. The first 3 weeks of the course are strictly EMT and the final week is for the wilderness section. There's also an option to only do the 3 weeks of EMS and hold off on the wilderness training, which is more cost effective. I want to do the wilderness certs at some point no matter (I do a lot of hiking and outdoors things so it's worth it to me).

3 week EMT course - https://southeastwildernessmedicine.com/course/emt-basic/#Dates
4 week WEMT course - https://southeastwildernessmedicine.com/course/wilderness-emt-intensive/

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll make 2 points.

1: Don't cheapen your EMT training. It's not easy if you've never done anything like it. Take your time, do it right. Accelerated courses have a reputation for "pay to pass" and producing EMTs that are alsub-par when they eventually get on the job.

2: Wilderness EMT is not an officially recognized certification. Some very specific jobs require or recommend it, but they are rare. It's not bad information to know, but unless you're looking for a specific wilderness position, it won't get you any extra points.

(I have my Wilderness ALS certificate for perspective. It's cool and fun. Does me no actual good.)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
One of my buddies is an instructor with that program. He actually has good things to say about it (he also works as a paramedic on a 24/72 schedule, and adjunct faculty member as two local community colleges), and thinks it prepares the students well. The student has to be self motivated, as it's a lot of reading, a lot of tests, and a lot of hands on work in class. But you get out of it what you put in. I don't remember what their attrition rate is, but he did say if you fail so many exams, you are dropped from the class.

The WEMT class might be fun, but at @NPO said, it's not going to help you get a job. if your employer was going to pay for you to get it, than I'd say go for it, but otherwise, save your money.

The only time people care about where you got your EMS training is your first job. So if you pass the class, and are able to test for an NC cert, once you get your P number, you can try to get a job. once you get that first job, no one will care if you took a 4 month EMT class, or a 4 week EMT class. However, getting that first job can be difficult.

Good Luck

OP
OP
M

magsd94

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the replies. I'm applying for a local community college program instead, and will hopefully take a wilderness course later on. Appreciate both of you responding!