News: Facebook rant lands US man in UAE jail

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This isn't EMS-related, but I know some of our members are looking for work in the UAE.

Facebook rant lands US man in UAE jail

Helicopter mechanic Ryan Pate wrote the Facebook post while in Florida after arguing with employer Global Aerospace Logistics (Gal) over sick leave.

On returning to Abu Dhabi from Florida, he was arrested for breaking the country's strict cyber-slander laws.

Read more!

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
If you are a US foreigner working abroad it is important to realize that you aren't in America anymore, and you aren't protected or have "rights" as we know them.

It is imperative to lay low, and learn the customs, culture, and laws of the land you are in, and try not to make waves.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Unlike in the USA, in other countries you assimilate to them... They don't assimilate to you.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Sandpit, while I agree...this case is unique and is a precedent I do not think should be set. If I legally post a comment in my own country and then I travel to a different country, they have no "right" to detain me. This is a horrible law to try and enforce, archaic in concept (as it is about protecting reputation) and absolutely ridiculous. The follow through/prosecution of this case is merely someone within the UAE company flexing ego...stupid pissing match.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Oh, I agree.
Consider who we're talking about here.