Newly Hired

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
I had an interview for a central washington agency and within a few minutes of the interview the guy took me for a tour of the facility and hired me on the spot. I am so excited by this and I don't want to slack in any way once I start working thursday so is there anything that newbies do or dont do that would help me?

like washing the ambulance or cleaning the rec room or anything that I could do? rather than sitting on the couch with nothing to do... I know they say there is no stupid questions but what if I ask questions too much?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I had an interview for a central washington agency and within a few minutes of the interview the guy took me for a tour of the facility and hired me on the spot. I am so excited by this and I don't want to slack in any way once I start working thursday so is there anything that newbies do or dont do that would help me?

like washing the ambulance or cleaning the rec room or anything that I could do? rather than sitting on the couch with nothing to do... I know they say there is no stupid questions but what if I ask questions too much?

Every place is a little bit different. Your orientation or training partner would be your best resource.

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
Every place is a little bit different. Your orientation or training partner would be your best resource.

+1

Yeah what he said! bahahaha :rofl:

OP
OP
MexDefender

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
It's relatively small place and my training officer is my actual boss so I don't want to do anything that might reflect in a negative way.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
Participate. If given a task, complete it. Things that shouldn't need saying, but always need saying. If you're partner is working, you should be also. Clean up after yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions, just be aware of situations so that you can ask them tactfully and to the right person.

I find alot of new folks come in and just sit around (sometimes due to a bad example at the station). Don't be that guy. Don't get me wrong, there's normally an inherent amount of downtime in our industry - but if having downtime seems to be more of a priority to you (in the eyes of your boss) than actually getting work done, you most likely won't last long.

Don't show up with holes in your pants, unshaven or red eyed. If you have a uniform to wear, show that you can wear it with pride (especially true if it's a small place).

Most importantly, SHOW UP ON TIME :)

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Participate. If given a task, complete it. Things that shouldn't need saying, but always need saying. If you're partner is working, you should be also. Clean up after yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions, just be aware of situations so that you can ask them tactfully and to the right person.

I find alot of new folks come in and just sit around (sometimes due to a bad example at the station). Don't be that guy. Don't get me wrong, there's normally an inherent amount of downtime in our industry - but if having downtime seems to be more of a priority to you (in the eyes of your boss) than actually getting work done, you most likely won't last long.

Don't show up with holes in your pants, unshaven or red eyed. If you have a uniform to wear, show that you can wear it with pride (especially true if it's a small place).

Most importantly, SHOW UP ON TIME :)

+1

There are jobs nobody likes to. You know the ones. Cleaning toilets, wiping out the fridge, cleaning windows. Volunteer to do them, as the new guy you'll be doing them anyway so score some brownies buy throwing yourself on the grenade so to speak.

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry to get off subject but given the title of this thread I thought it fit in.
I live in la county and got 2 job offers doing IFT. One job pays more by the hour but I hear OT is pretty rare. They also have some form of benefits (401k after a year of employment). The other company pays less ($10/hour) but have 8-12hr shifts with overtime starting after 8 hours. My question is does lack of OT should be considered a bad sign?

OP
OP
MexDefender

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
Is this a transport company or will you be running 911 calls?

running and transport.
12 full hours than 12 on call shift immediately following. I start as a 3rd man on a crew for 3 months.

the call volume averages 2 calls a day for the entire year so its not going to be super busy but no ALS units in the area so more BLS experience.

woodtownemt - I was given the same offer, you can get more money but you are not guaranteed the same hours and no benefits or go with the benefits package and you get less money but with the OT coming in from people leaving it is probably better to go full time with benefits