Newbie Introduction

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
Hi Everyone, my name is Evan, and I'm currently taking my EMT-B and riding my schools volunteer ambulance. While my major is meteorology I'm currently taking my EMT-B at school for credit. I've always been interested in EMS, and it runs in my blood. My father used to drive for the local volunteer department. My corp runs three levels of training, Attendant, Driver, and Helper. I'm clearing helper this week, as I've already gotten my perfect call (took vitals, helped with paperwork, helped...) Next would be driver until I get my EMT. I'm trying to decide whether I want to stay at cleared at helper or go into training as a Driver. I'm thinking the experience as a helper might be more up my alley.

I'm really looking forward to becoming an EMT. I've always been interested in helping others. Although I have no previous EMS experience, I'm an Eagle Scout, and have a lot of basic first aid and lifesaving skills. I really like the idea of helping people, as well as having the ability to prove myself.

I'm happy because my EMT pants come this week (even though the unhemmed 37" inseam is about 9" to long...), and I'll really look like my attendant. Right now I'm wearing jeans for my shifts, and sneakers. I got a pair of Herman Survivor Boots today. My dad says he loves his old pair, so I picked some up.

I'm curious if anyone here volunteers as a first responder. My local volunteer fire department (the same one my dad drove for) dropped their ambulance years ago. Now all they have is a first response unit. I want to join there too, so I have a year round EMS involvement. The problem is I go away to school. Do you think the average department would welcome someone like me who is only around for summer and winter?

Right now, it looks like I'm going to have a year to kill after college, unless I get a job because my fiancee is going to school for 5 years (architecture). If I don't get a job in meteorology (its really hard, the national weather service can get 50+ applicants per job offer) then I might go to the local community college for my para-medicine associates. Plus if she gets a job and I get a job, she wins because she'll get payed more anyway (not that it matters to me, but it helps when you're trying to make a living...) So I see it as a plan B. Thought I'd share. Any thoughts?

A lot to swallow, but I figured the point was to explain a bit about myself, so there you go, that's what's on this newbie's mind. I'm sure before my exam I'll be asking plenty of advice, and other things now and then. Looking forward to posting.

Thanks,
Evan

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Non one has "a year to kill". Get a job, start a second major...

Welcome to "EMS World".
Considered meteorology in the (Air) Guard or Reserve? Make sure you get a guaranteed job deal, not just guaranteed training.
Congrats on your Eagle, too!

MRE

Forum Captain
Hi, it sounds like you and I did a lot of things alike. I got my eagle in 02 and although my major in college was electrical engineering, I was able to take my EMT-B for credit. I graduated this past spring and I now volunteer for my local fire dept as a firefighter and EMT.

We are a little less formal than your dept sounds like, you get on the job training as a rookie and very quickly are able to do just about any job on a medical call, and the same for fire, with a longer learning curve. A big reason for this is that we only have 4 active EMTs in town including me, so everyone needs to be able to do any job.

I think most depts would welcome a person like you, even for a seasonal type schedule. Its volunteer so it doesn't exactly cost them all that much.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Welcome aboard.

If your volunteer dept. is anything like the ones I have been on they would kill for ANY help. (Especially during the daytime when most people are working.)

You may find a passion for EMS like I did and continue your education.

Good luck!

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
welcome aboard, bro!!

i run volly at my local dept. and we dont have a QRS unit, or first response unit per say....but we dont have too many EMTs that run down there. so, its more than likely if we get an accident or we DO get toned out for a med. assist call...guess whos going up to bat really quick? lol

But, EMS is a really fun field to get in to. it has it moments and its a**holes just like any other field, but for the most part, it is one big brotherhood.

one piece of advice for you tho.....NEVER stop learning

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to the tribe!!!:):):)

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Welcome! What part of New York? I get up that way a few times a year from the mid-west.

GeekMedic

Forum Probie
Welcome to the family

All I can say, hopefully you'll find this line of work is your passion. good luck!

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I'm almost positive that most departments will gladly take you as a member. For example, Cornell University has a rescue squad on campus, in addition to a volunteer fire department nearby that has many students among its ranks. There are many departments in the upstate NY area that have dwindling member numbers, and any help they can get will be greatly appreciated, even if it is for only a few months a year. The only way you will truly know is to ask the chief of the department.

OP
OP
wxduff

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the welcome.

Karaya, I go to school at SUNY Oswego, but I live east of troy, but work in Albany over the summer and winter.

I recently discovered that the fire department at the other end of my road has an ambulance!!! I was unaware of this. The vol. fire department for my village is the one 3 minutes away, while the town 5 minutes away is near the other end of my road, and they have an ambulance. The thing is then I won't be helping my direct community, but I would be getting ambulance time instead of First Responder Time.

Questions:
What would you do in this situation?
Could I join two volunteer departments? :wacko: