Newb question on EMT training...

Justin DaRosa

Forum Probie
Hi this is my second post and it's kind of a newbie question so keep that in mind. I was wondering if theirs any difference when it comes to where you actually get your EMT certificates from, In Reno they have REMSA and TMCC both offer EMT classes but one cost's a a lot more and is longer. If i were to be questioned for hiring would a possible employer prefer a certain school over others or is it all the same??

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
its all the same but you want to find out the pass rates for the school you attend by going to your local ems website you will have to take nremt exam and then apply for your license through that state.good luck..www.emtprotraining.com

Just looked at that link...'You do NOT need a high school diploma, GED, driver's license, or US citizenship/green card to enroll in the EMT-Basic training course and earn your certification. However, these and other factors may affect your hiring potential.'

Really? You don't need all those things?

(sorry for the hijack)

OP
OP
Justin DaRosa

Justin DaRosa

Forum Probie
Oh, ok thanks a lot for your reply that helps a lot. I think ill do the REMSA program because they said theirs like 95% pass rate or something like that ill do some more research.

JesterEMS

Forum Probie
Oh, ok thanks a lot for your reply that helps a lot. I think ill do the REMSA program because they said theirs like 95% pass rate or something like that ill do some more research.
Hi Justin,

It's nice to see a local from Reno, NV. Will be in the EMS academy at TMCC.
When I attended orientation for this program, I was told that this will be a commitment not for myself but for the people we will save in the future.
TMCC wants to shape the best EMT's and Paramedics they can for our city.
It's a little nerve racking honestly after stepping out of the orientation, but at the same time consider if maybe the academy was too challenging for some folks causing a higher drop rate.

If anything I suggest you do what's more challenging. I, too, plan to work with REMSA as a career.

OREMT

Forum Probie
Though I just moved out of state I am from Reno and completed the EMT-B course with REMSA in July.

Here's my two cents: If you want to get hired by REMSA in the future, why not take their certification course? You'll spend time with current employees during labs, and you'll be seen around the office, so to speak. If you make a good impression in class, that can go a long way towards them hiring you in the future.

Plus, the instructors I had at REMSA were some of the best teachers I've ever encountered. They run you through some pretty awesome, realistic scenarios every week (i.e. they drive you out to a "scene" on a rig, where you not only assess and treat patients, but call in radio reports/do handoff reports to ALS crews, etc.). Class was so good I wish I was still in it.

Glad to see some Reno folks on here as well.