Newb EMT question

jjensen

Forum Ride Along
So I am graduating law school next month. I had a great job secured, but my offer was rescinded due to COVID-19 austerity measures. No law firms are hiring, and it will be that way for at least a year.

I need a job quickly, as my savings are running thin. Lucky for me, I have always wanted to be an EMT, and now may be my chance. I need the EMT fastrack: I would like to start working ASAP.

I have looked into Pelham Training, which offers intensive 2-week courses in Indiana. (I live and will work in Illinois). The next course runs from May 7-23, which is perfect for my schedule.

Let’s assume I finish this Pelham course in May. How long until I can actually start working as an EMT in Illinois?
  • From what I understand, I can schedule the NREMT cognitive portion at a Pearson Vue center whenever I want, and get results in about 2 days (is this correct?).
  • What about the psychomotor exam? From what I understand, this is offered together with the course. Is there a delay in getting the official results?
  • If I take the course in Indiana, and get NREMT certified, will it be reciprocal with Illinois?
Thanks all, and any other general advice is also appreciated!

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Be mindful that EMTs make far less than you would expect. If you want to continue in EMS to some degree once you can work as a lawyer that’s great, but if you just want a stop gap job there is a good chance that the time and money aren’t worth the investment.

I don’t know what the actual hiring is looking like in Illinois or the surrounding area, but many of the medical workers across the US are facing reduced hours, reduced pay, or have been furloughed. I would look into that before you consider placing what limited savings you have left into it.

Clinicals may also be difficult. Many schools have stopped clinicals, and many health systems aren’t hosting students.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So I am graduating law school next month. I had a great job secured, but my offer was rescinded due to COVID-19 austerity measures. No law firms are hiring, and it will be that way for at least a year.

I need a job quickly, as my savings are running thin. Lucky for me, I have always wanted to be an EMT, and now may be my chance. I need the EMT fastrack: I would like to start working ASAP.
congrats on graduating law school. have you passed the bar yet? A few of my coworkers graduated law school, and spent 4 months just studying for the bar exam.
I have looked into Pelham Training, which offers intensive 2-week courses in Indiana. (I live and will work in Illinois). The next course runs from May 7-23, which is perfect for my schedule.
sometimes things happen for a reason. will you be commuting, or getting a hotel in indiana for the class? is Indiana quarantining out of state people for 14 days once they cross the border? Have you contacted them to see if there are an issues with the class related to COVID-19?
Let’s assume I finish this Pelham course in May. How long until I can actually start working as an EMT in Illinois?
depends on where you want to work. a better answer would likely be to call up a dozen local ambulance companies, and asking them how long their hiring process is, when will they be hiring next, and what are the chances of you getting hired if you just get your certification.
From what I understand, I can schedule the NREMT cognitive portion at a Pearson Vue center whenever I want, and get results in about 2 days (is this correct?).
yes, however you should check this important message from pearson vue: https://home.pearsonvue.com/nremt/essential-services
What about the psychomotor exam? From what I understand, this is offered together with the course. Is there a delay in getting the official results?
you should know them by the end of the day
If I take the course in Indiana, and get NREMT certified, will it be reciprocal with Illinois?
no idea. however, https://www.dph.illinois.gov/sites/default/files/forms/emsreciprocityapplication.pdf will probably have the answers you see.

good luck.