New to the job and feeling lost.

cl7539

Forum Ride Along
I'm a new basic and have recently started my first job. I'm feeling really discouraged lately. I've been working for about two weeks and it seems like every shift I do something wrong. Whether I'm having trouble with the stretcher and lifting pts or just navigating around town. I dread every call because I'm afraid to mess up. Works of encouragement and advice would be appreciated. I'm really reconsidering my career right now. I love EMS but I'm just feeling so stressed with it right now.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I was in the same position several years ago. Fresh out of basic school and got hired in an area I have never been in before (my interview was the first time I ever went into the area). It takes effort on your end to learn the area. Sit down and study a mapbook, use Google earth, drive the area, pick 2 areas far apart on the map and trace a route to get there, listen to other calls and locate the address, how you would get there, and how you would get to the hospital.

Practice with the gurney. When you don't have a call practice raising and lowering it. Practice walking with it. Get to know everything about the gurney you use and how to trouble shoot issues.

Normally this is what FTO time is for. You learn what to do and what not to do.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
For learning a new area print off a decent copy of your mapping and highlight only the main roads that run W to E and N to S in one part of your area. Note reference points/points of interest to help you remember where you are. For eg a huge car dealership with all the flags and balloons will stick in your mind. The best way to know an area is to just get out there an do it...if you're planning on making a career in your area then its time well spent...'time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted'

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I felt the same way. I can't count how many times I tried to pull the patient out of the rig with the nasal cannula still attached to the house O2. So many times. So many bent noses. It could've been considered one of my skills.

Don't write yourself off yet. It gets easier with time and you're only in X2 weeks. For me, It gradually got better and after about 2-3 months I was comfortable with most things.

I started in a county where I had no idea how to get around in. I spent a couple nights sitting in with dispatch listening to the calls come in. I'd find the unit's posting location on the map and map myself to the call or hospital. Really helped me get a grasp on where places were and how to navigate between them.

OP
OP
cl7539

cl7539

Forum Ride Along
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I've had a decent night so far and have been driving around trying to catch on.

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
I would recommend mapping yourself throughout the shift even when you're not on the call to get familiar with the area. Then when a call drops you know exactly where you are so it's one less thing to worry about.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
buy a large cup of coffee and drive around to each post and hospital on your off day. Like others have said mapping out what other units are doing while posted can be helpful. Dont be afraid to ask your partner or first responders the best way out of a neighborhood.

For the gurney you could always come in 30 minutes early and ask a supervisor to help you practice. I had this when I was new because a partner reported me for "almost tipping over the gurney". We had to practice with the supe watching us and turns out it was her technique that was wrong, but it was still helpful to have him go over the mechanics again with us.

As for everything else, EMT school does not adequately prepare you for work, it prepares you to be safe at work. The real learning comes on the job. We were all there once, don't sweat it, you'll be fine in a few months.

OP
OP
cl7539

cl7539

Forum Ride Along
I actually almost did tip over the gurney last shift and I was extremely upset about it. I'm not that physically fit so I'm going to start hitting the gym and knock this lifting patients thing off my problem list. Another new employee and I practiced with the stretchers and I think I'm getting better at it. I think a lot of my problem is that I'm getting so worried about my partner thinking I'm awful and get flustered.

I grew up near this city so its not that I am completely new to the area, but my knowledge is how to get to basic shopping centers. I'm working on it though and if all else fails I have GPS on my phone.

I keep telling myself that it will get better but night shift just makes me feel helpless sometimes haha.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I actually almost did tip over the gurney last shift and I was extremely upset about it. I'm not that physically fit so I'm going to start hitting the gym and knock this lifting patients thing off my problem list. Another new employee and I practiced with the stretchers and I think I'm getting better at it. I think a lot of my problem is that I'm getting so worried about my partner thinking I'm awful and get flustered.

I grew up near this city so its not that I am completely new to the area, but my knowledge is how to get to basic shopping centers. I'm working on it though and if all else fails I have GPS on my phone.

I keep telling myself that it will get better but night shift just makes me feel helpless sometimes haha.

Try working in a city/county that is 1,00sq miles 2,000 miles away from your hometown. I was nervous about all that too, but caught on pretty quick, luckly we have GPS in our computers. It helps to drive from your station to the hospitals taking the major routes, you will never learn all the side streets, but you can learn major intersections and things alike.

As far as actually being an EMT, like others have said, you really havent learned anything until you start your first job. 911 creates even more stress because sometimes things are fast paced and chaotic, just learn from your mistakes, we all did and STILL make mistakes, thats why they call it "practicing" medicine even for MDs. Just don't be the guy who has been told numerous times how to do something and fails to fix it, thats a no-go around my parts.

Relax, youll be fine, its simple stuff once you figure things out.

OP
OP
cl7539

cl7539

Forum Ride Along
Try working in a city/county that is 1,00sq miles 2,000 miles away from your hometown. I was nervous about all that too, but caught on pretty quick, luckly we have GPS in our computers. It helps to drive from your station to the hospitals taking the major routes, you will never learn all the side streets, but you can learn major intersections and things alike.

As far as actually being an EMT, like others have said, you really havent learned anything until you start your first job. 911 creates even more stress because sometimes things are fast paced and chaotic, just learn from your mistakes, we all did and STILL make mistakes, thats why they call it "practicing" medicine even for MDs. Just don't be the guy who has been told numerous times how to do something and fails to fix it, thats a no-go around my parts.

Relax, youll be fine, its simple stuff once you figure things out.
Thank you!