New to forum, question about nyc paramedic training

MARKC0311

Forum Probie
Hello all, new to the forum, thanks for having me,

Before I get to my question, a bit about myself first. I am currently attending an EMT-B course in NYC. I take my state exams in December. I am an 8 year veteran of the USMC (2002-2010), and through those years have been on 6 combat deployments between Iraq and Afghanistan, so I am no stranger to severe trauma in a kinetic environment. In the Marine Corps, I was a combat lifesaver when I was a regular grunt, then after being accepted into Spec. Ops. was afforded the opportunity to go to Field Med. School, so I am no stranger to treating severe trauma either. Upon leaving the military I attended nursing school, working on a BSN, after earning 90+ credits, I decided that nursing wasn't for me, and wanted to stay on the "front lines" as it were, where I feel that my experience would make me a more valuable asset. During nursing school I was a straight A student except for in Statistics, where I received a D. I completed and aced A&P 1 and 2, microbiology, pathophysiology, genetics, organic & physiological chemistry, 2 psychology classes, and a nutrition class (which, believe it or not, DOES help while assessing a medical patient), along with all the core classes needed. As I said before, I am a vet, and have the Post 9/11 GI Bill to my advantage. My goal upon passing my state exams is to become a paramedic, and I am more than willing and able to pay for paramedic school myself, instead of waiting for FDNY, or other agencies to make it happen for me. So my question, finally is, can anyone direct me in which way to go as far as paramedic training goes? Should I pursue it right after getting my EMT-B cert, if that's even possible. Or should I wait, and get some experience on the street first. Also can anyone recommend a good paramedic program in the NYC area, and if possible, name any of their pre-reqs?

Sorry if this seems a bit long in the tooth, I just want anyone who offers their advice, comments, or help to understand my situation as completely as possible. Thanks in advance for your time and any advice. Stay safe out there and always remember to CYA!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Mark, I'll get a reply to you later in the morning. Meanwhile

Animated-Pony-Cider-Herd-Joining.gif

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You have the experience, LAguardia CC is the place to go for NYC paramedic training followed by BMCC.

My instructor teaches out at St. John's in Queens. John Bray is an excellent instructor.

OP
OP
MARKC0311

MARKC0311

Forum Probie
Thanks Gents,

1> Rocket, does Guiness and Jamo count as "Cider", if so CHEERS!!!

2> FireC, I have been looking into St. Johns, and LGA, both seem to be very solid programs, but they both require street exp. to be accepted, as far as their info an the web goes anyway. Think that's just B.S???

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Thanks Gents,

1> Rocket, does Guiness and Jamo count as "Cider", if so CHEERS!!!

2> FireC, I have been looking into St. Johns, and LGA, both seem to be very solid programs, but they both require street exp. to be accepted, as far as their info an the web goes anyway. Think that's just B.S???

You are/were a combat lifesaver with 6 tours of combat. If true, You have seen more trauma than they have. I am sure that experience will count. Call them and ask. Can't hurt to ask them.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Should I pursue it right after getting my EMT-B cert, if that's even possible.

Yes, do so without delay

Or should I wait, and get some experience on the street first..

No, that is an outdated vocational ideology no longer applicable in today's world. Go to paramedic school without delay. It will increase your chances of getting a job considerably compared to an EMTB, especially if you are willing to relocate.

OP
OP
MARKC0311

MARKC0311

Forum Probie
You are/were a combat lifesaver with 6 tours of combat. If true, You have seen more trauma than they have. I am sure that experience will count. Call them and ask. Can't hurt to ask them.

Very well, your absolutely right. The worst they could say is, "yes you need exp"

OP
OP
MARKC0311

MARKC0311

Forum Probie
Yes, do so without delay

No, that is an outdated vocational ideology no longer applicable in today's world. Go to paramedic school without delay. It will increase your chances of getting a job considerably compared to an EMTB, especially if you are willing to relocate.

Roger that, on both counts, thanks!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Very well, your absolutely right. The worst they could say is, "yes you need exp"

You don't need a year doing dialysis runs. I think the spec ops medic/combat lifesaver represent enough experience treating patients, especially while in combat. Get your medic ASAP and Fdny will teach you the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
MARKC0311

MARKC0311

Forum Probie
You don't need a year doing dialysis runs. I think the spec ops medic/combat lifesaver represent enough experience treating patients, especially while in combat. Get your medic ASAP and Fdny will teach you the rest.

Yea, I would hope so, otherwise that would be a waste of 8 years of my life. The number of tours I have and all the schools I went to are on my DD-214 (release paperwork) wasn't too sure if a civilian EMS agency or school would honor exp gained overseas in such conditions. Going to start making calls at 0900hrs.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey Mark.

First off, thank you for your service to this country. 6 deployments is truly admirable.

My post may be a bit more disappointing to you.

I've been with FDNY roughly 3.5 years now and while it has been a good life experience for me and I attained a free paramedic cert, it doesn't sound like the right path for you. (Mind you my end goal is promotion to firefighter otherwise id be out the door)

The environment you are used to and the environment you are expecting with EMS in NYC could not be further apart on the spectrum. You won't be in the face of danger and rarely will your patient be either.

Let me give you an example of my typical day at work.

1: I come in, sign for narcotics, quick check of the truck and pray my partner for the day isn't an incompetent buffoon.
2: We head to our cross street. Sometimes take a nap, maybe watch a movie or browse the forums like I am now.
3: Maybe an hour passes, maybe two, sometimes 3 before we get a job.
4: Job ends up being a nonsense call that was upgraded to ALS because the people here know the system quite well on what gets them a higher priority.
5: kill time at the hospital, do it all over again until the whistle blows.

I spend most of my day staring at the dashboard or on the Internet reading medical journals and watching movies. It isn't the excitement of the front line you are looking for. Yes, maybe two or three times a month we have a cardiac arrest or a shooting or bad MVA. But they are few and far between.

You mention you have 90 credits towards your BSN. You are on the home stretch pal. Even if you have no desire to work as a nurse, you need to finish that degree. Your starting pay here with FDNY is $44,000 + excellent benefits. As an RN in this area you are looking at $68,000 starting. That's $8,000 higher than your maximum salary as a paramedic. Most of us work two jobs, myself included.

As much as I'm sure it sounds like it, I don't mean to discourage you. If this is what you have your heart on, do it. But realize that you are probably coming on your later 20s and someday soon you are going to want to relax and settle down to a wife and later kids. This isn't a path that allows for comfortable living in this region.

Also as an RN, you can travel to other countries and still be on the frontlines providing care to disaster areas. As a paramedic your options are slim and you really can't leave the country. RNs are internationally recognized and your options are endless.

Again, do what you feel is right but don't make the choice based on the delusion most people have of what EMS in NYC (or anywhere) really is.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey man,
I am also a grunt from the army side of things. I was a riflemen in a line squad trained as our combat life saver. If I was you I would ride that post 911 gi bill gravy train as long as possible. It sounds like your %100 eligible for full benefits status. Since you already have so many college credits I would transfer into a B.S. for Paramedics somewhere in the country and let uncle scam, ugh, I mean "Uncle Sam" pay for it and your rent. Go here and find an accredited BS paramedic program. http://www.caahep.org/

I am a Paramedic but I recently went back to school to finish an undergrad degree with my Post 911, do not let it go to waste! You earned every credit hour of it.

PS: I just want to add there are only 11 Programs found in the country with a B.S. or above.

OP
OP
MARKC0311

MARKC0311

Forum Probie
Hey Mark.

First off, thank you for your service to this country. 6 deployments is truly admirable.

My post may be a bit more disappointing to you.

I've been with FDNY roughly 3.5 years now and while it has been a good life experience for me and I attained a free paramedic cert, it doesn't sound like the right path for you. (Mind you my end goal is promotion to firefighter otherwise id be out the door)

The environment you are used to and the environment you are expecting with EMS in NYC could not be further apart on the spectrum. You won't be in the face of danger and rarely will your patient be either.

Let me give you an example of my typical day at work.

1: I come in, sign for narcotics, quick check of the truck and pray my partner for the day isn't an incompetent buffoon.
2: We head to our cross street. Sometimes take a nap, maybe watch a movie or browse the forums like I am now.
3: Maybe an hour passes, maybe two, sometimes 3 before we get a job.
4: Job ends up being a nonsense call that was upgraded to ALS because the people here know the system quite well on what gets them a higher priority.
5: kill time at the hospital, do it all over again until the whistle blows.

I spend most of my day staring at the dashboard or on the Internet reading medical journals and watching movies. It isn't the excitement of the front line you are looking for. Yes, maybe two or three times a month we have a cardiac arrest or a shooting or bad MVA. But they are few and far between.

You mention you have 90 credits towards your BSN. You are on the home stretch pal. Even if you have no desire to work as a nurse, you need to finish that degree. Your starting pay here with FDNY is $44,000 + excellent benefits. As an RN in this area you are looking at $68,000 starting. That's $8,000 higher than your maximum salary as a paramedic. Most of us work two jobs, myself included.

As much as I'm sure it sounds like it, I don't mean to discourage you. If this is what you have your heart on, do it. But realize that you are probably coming on your later 20s and someday soon you are going to want to relax and settle down to a wife and later kids. This isn't a path that allows for comfortable living in this region.

Also as an RN, you can travel to other countries and still be on the frontlines providing care to disaster areas. As a paramedic your options are slim and you really can't leave the country. RNs are internationally recognized and your options are endless.

Again, do what you feel is right but don't make the choice based on the delusion most people have of what EMS in NYC (or anywhere) really is.

First of all, thanks for the honesty, I really appreciate it. I had no idea that the job would be that monotonous. That being said, I was in no way, shape or form going to stop my education at 90+ college credits, and an EMT-P cert. I was planning on continuing on to PA school, after getting a little salty in the field, and becoming more accustomed to NYS EMS protocol, patient interaction, etc. Just want to conquer My B and P certs before I really started focusing on continuing my degree. One mission at a time, ya know? Also, I may like to jump to the fire side, my options are pretty open.

Btw I'm 33 and not getting any younger... LOL

OP
OP
MARKC0311

MARKC0311

Forum Probie
Hey man,
I am also a grunt from the army side of things. I was a riflemen in a line squad trained as our combat life saver. If I was you I would ride that post 911 gi bill gravy train as long as possible. It sounds like your %100 eligible for full benefits status. Since you already have so many college credits I would transfer into a B.S. for Paramedics somewhere in the country and let uncle scam, ugh, I mean "Uncle Sam" pay for it and your rent. Go here and find an accredited BS paramedic program. http://www.caahep.org/

I am a Paramedic but I recently went back to school to finish an undergrad degree with my Post 911, do not let it go to waste! You earned every credit hour of it.

PS: I just want to add there are only 11 Programs found in the country with a B.S. or above.

Whats up brother, That's a solid copy on all. Thanks for the extra info. If you want, check out my reply to NyMedic, you'll see my plans for the future. No way am I going to waste My GI Bill Gravy train lol...

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
First of all, thanks for the honesty, I really appreciate it. I had no idea that the job would be that monotonous. That being said, I was in no way, shape or form going to stop my education at 90+ college credits, and an EMT-P cert. I was planning on continuing on to PA school, after getting a little salty in the field, and becoming more accustomed to NYS EMS protocol, patient interaction, etc. Just want to conquer My B and P certs before I really started focusing on continuing my degree. One mission at a time, ya know? Also, I may like to jump to the fire side, my options are pretty open.

Btw I'm 33 and not getting any younger... LOL

Unfortunately you just missed the firefighter exam due to your deployment (unless you took it?) and there won't be another for atleast 4 years. Furthermore, you may be above the age by then. The maximum age is 29 but you get back each year you spent active duty military so for you it would be 37 (I think)

You have a few great things in your favor. The first two are that you are a NYC resident and a serviceman. That's 10 points added to your firefighter exam should you take it down the road. 10 points is a deal breaker and will put you ahead of 30,000 people if you do we'll on the test.

That said, now is the time to get your RN or PA. Why spend a year or more in paramedic school when you could be done with your RN or getting into your masters for PA?

What I would do in your position is complete your EMT-B, continue your degree and work EMS for a voluntary agency in NYC. (Not volunteer, voluntary are non municipal ambulances working the FDNY 911 system)

This way you can decide if you even like EMS, bring home a paycheck and utilize the GI bill to complete your degree in a higher field. Few years down the line you apply for the firefighter exam and get lucky. Now you make $180,000 a year working as an RN/PA and firefighter.

Also keep in mind being hired as an FDNY EMT or Medic is a lengthy process. For EMT you have around 1000 applicants ahead of you. Paramedic is a much smaller list but will still take 4-12 months from when you apply and the filing for either only opens a couple times a year. To be hired as an EMT right now could be a 2 year waiting time. (I waited a year)

Lot to think about for you but the choice is yours and there is no wrong choice as long as you are happy. Just keep the future in mind.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
That said, now is the time to get your RN or PA. Why spend a year or more in paramedic school when you could be done with your RN or getting into your masters for PA?

Hey NY, correct me if I am wrong here, but he would be SAVING himself 1 year of college? He want to go on to PA anyway but wants to spend some time as a Paramedic first. It sounds to me like the fastest track to PA in his situation would be to enroll in a university paramedic program as a transfer student with his 90+ credits. He then spends 2 years on the Paramedic major and comes out with a B.S. in EMS or Paramedic. He works as a paramedic and then when he is ready for PA school he apply's?

If he does the BSN route and still wants to be a paramedic all those paramedic credits(at least 1 years worth) go to waste?

OP
OP
MARKC0311

MARKC0311

Forum Probie
Unfortunately you just missed the firefighter exam due to your deployment (unless you took it?) and there won't be another for atleast 4 years. Furthermore, you may be above the age by then. The maximum age is 29 but you get back each year you spent active duty military so for you it would be 37 (I think)

You have a few great things in your favor. The first two are that you are a NYC resident and a serviceman. That's 10 points added to your firefighter exam should you take it down the road. 10 points is a deal breaker and will put you ahead of 30,000 people if you do we'll on the test.

What I would do in your position is complete your EMT-B, continue your degree and work EMS for a voluntary agency in NYC. (Not volunteer, voluntary are non municipal ambulances working the FDNY 911 system)

This way you can decide if you even like EMS, bring home a paycheck and utilize the GI bill to complete your degree in a higher field. Few years down the line you apply for the firefighter exam and get lucky. Now you make $180,000 a year working as an RN/PA and firefighter.

Also keep in mind being hired as an FDNY EMT or Medic is a lengthy process. For EMT you have around 1000 applicants ahead of you. Paramedic is a much smaller list but will still take 4-12 months from when you apply and the filing for either only opens a couple times a year. To be hired as an EMT right now could be a 2 year waiting time. (I waited a year)

Lot to think about for you but the choice is yours and there is no wrong choice as long as you are happy. Just keep the future in mind.

I didn't miss the exam due to deployment, I got honorably discharged in 2010, been going to school ever since. Honestly I'm a bit thunderstruck at the moment, thank God I joined this forum. I like your idea about finishing EMT-B and working a non-municipal bus, and continuing education simultaneously. I was under the impression that I would need at least 1000 hrs of ALS experience before being accepted into a PA program, at least that's what my EMT-B instructor told me he had to due. I got allot of thinking and decision making to do. but first, as you said, complete my B cert first. Thanks again Brother!

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey NY, correct me if I am wrong here, but he would be SAVING himself 1 year of college? He want to go on to PA anyway but wants to spend some time as a Paramedic first. It sounds to me like the fastest track to PA in his situation would be to enroll in a university paramedic program as a transfer student with his 90+ credits. He then spends 2 years on the Paramedic major and comes out with a B.S. in EMS or Paramedic. He works as a paramedic and then when he is ready for PA school he apply's?

If he does the BSN route and still wants to be a paramedic all those paramedic credits(at least 1 years worth) go to waste?

Paramedic credits in NY are essentially worthless. In this region I do not believe a BS in paramedic exists it would be the most worthless degree attainable if it did exist.

He has 75% of his BSN complete te most logical move is to complete that. If he completes his BSN he can simply move to NP or PA as his masters field. PA will require a couple prereq classes.

Paramedic is basically a complete was of time here if you wish to move to a bachelors.

Right now I am exploring my options for bridging paramedic to ADN, and then I have to bridge to BSN from that. It's a total pain.

My medic is worth 39 credits but in reality it is only worth whatever amount of credits the accrediting school will award me. They also need to fit into my degree otherwise they are again, worthless credits. I can have 1000 credits in different fields but if they don't fit into a degree they do nothing for me.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Well regardless of what path he decides, good luck and I share your pain in regards to the below image.

qYfZT.jpg

OP
OP
MARKC0311

MARKC0311

Forum Probie
Lmfao!!!!!!!! That was exactly how i felt in nursing school!!!! And none of them would ever shut the f*@k up!!!! Good stuff...