New old guy

unclefrey

Forum Ride Along
Just joined this forum, so this is my first post.
I'd like some opinions on my situation. I am a 55 year old, Level II volunteer firefighter who just got my EMT-B. I am unemployed and would like to move to Nashville and get a job as an EMT and work toward becoming a Paramedic. I am 6'2" and 200 pounds of the best shape of my life, so physically I can do it. What do you think my chances are for actually getting a job as a newbie at my age?

Zodiac

Forum Crew Member
Most services in Tennessee will only consider individuals who are licensed EMT-IVs as that is the lowest level of provider in this state. As for the NFD, I can't speak from experience but they aren't known for being the easiest to get on with because they usually have a pretty long waiting list of applicants (but then again, so does everywhere else, lol) A buddy of mine managed to get called in for an interview nearly three years after he submitted his application. Pro-Med might have some opportunities pop up.

Last edited by a moderator:

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't know about anything in TN specifically but I will tell you your age probably won't hold you back in getting a job if you have your cert. They probably won't be willing to pay for schooling because they just won't be able to get the return on their investment. Most larger cities have several private services with unbelievable turnover rates so they're looking for someone with a ticket and a pulse. At 55 you have roughly 10 years left until retirement which is a pretty long term to spend at one company in the modern age of EMS.

OP
OP
U

unclefrey

Forum Ride Along
I really want to thank both of you for taking the time to reply to my post. Your replies have been informative and very helpful.

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
I'd like some opinions on my situation. I am a 55 year old, Level II volunteer firefighter who just got my EMT-B. I am unemployed and would like to move to Nashville and get a job as an EMT and work toward becoming a Paramedic. I am 6'2" and 200 pounds of the best shape of my life, so physically I can do it. What do you think my chances are for actually getting a job as a newbie at my age?

I am 53 and have been precepting medics for about 25 years.Three years ago I had a student who was in his fifties and he did very well. He is now working as a medic in the outer banks. Last year I had a student in his late 40's and he also did very well. He is now working in the system I work for.

Both changed careers later in life and are very happy now.

You can do it.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
You are only as old as you look.....

Or is it as old as you feel?? I was 42 when I started Paramedic school after 15+ years in EMS as EMT-B and EMT-I. Don't let age hold you back. Only you know what you are capable of.

OP
OP
U

unclefrey

Forum Ride Along
Thanks

Thanks Smoke14 and wyoskibum for the words of encouragement. It's just what the doctor ordered. Now I'm torn between staying here in my small town for another year in order to get free training from EMT-B to EMT-P, but get next to no experience or money due to our low call volume, or try to move someplace bigger and get a paying job as an EMT-B and go to night school for Paramedic. I'm broke so I don't know how I can pull off the move, but it seems like it would be more beneficial in the long run if my goal is to get out there and do it. Any thoughts on that?

crazycajun

Forum Captain
The big question is will you be obligated to terms of service for them paying for your school? Some comapnies offer free schooling but demand a certain term of service by binding contract. If you do not have to sign anything stating you will work for them for a certain period, I would take the free training.

OP
OP
U

unclefrey

Forum Ride Along
Yes, I would be obligated to two years of service, but I could at that point pay for the cost of the class, which would be less due to the fact that I am already here and have a place to live.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
IS that 2 years after certification? From your post I gathered there is a money situation. I guess you just have to ask yourself what is more important to your future. Me personally if that were my options I would take the free education. Not to mention you get 2 additional years of experience allowing any future transfer to be easier.

EMTBHillbilly

Forum Probie
Frey, I got my EMT-B cert at age 56 after retiring from a corporate job. I am now a very happy EMT-B working for a 911 agency. Like, you, I'm in good shape and sharp. Follow your dream.

EMTBHillbilly

Forum Probie
Frey, There are problems unique to us old guys starting out in EMS. e-mail me if you get stuck. . . maybe I've been there.

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
nice to see a few old dudes round here' B)

i am 46 and just got my state cert in emt basic, good shape, i have a 6 year old son so he keeps me running

i wanted to do something new for the next 20 or so years of my working life, so emt is for me,

now i just need to find someone crazy enough to pay me for what i do :)

EMTBHillbilly

Forum Probie
I start Paramedic class in Aug. I'll be 59 when/if I get my card.
I don't think about longevity. I just do what looks good in front of me.

flyfisher151

Forum Crew Member
I'm 41 and decided to make a change. January decided to join the VFD. Started EMT-B class January 21. Fisnish August 3rd. Go for it! Hopefully someone will consider our life experiences when looking to hire us? I just found this forum myself and their is a ton of great information here. I fish in East Tennessee a lot and my friend over there said it's pretty tough to get on around Johnson City. I'd like to move over there at some point. I'm like you, just looking for a new route.
Best Wishes

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I took my national registry Paramedic exam on my 40th birthday last year. I made a career change after almost 20 years in broadcasting. You're never too old to make a fresh start!

Strap

Forum Crew Member
This ought to be an inspiration to anyone who thinks they might be tool old to start as an EMT or paramedic:

Agggh! Can't post a link because I don't have five posts.

Wait....B)