New Medic moving to North Carolina

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
Hello all.

I'm about a month away from finishing up my paramedic program, if all goes well I'll get my national as well. I have a few jobs here in New York, but I'm looking to move down to North Carolina. It's possible I'll have a sort-of inherited house in the south eastern corner of the state, so that'd be my first option - that area of North Carolina or northern South Carolina - but I'm looking into other areas of the state as well.

I've done some research into agencies/departments down there, some seem more top notch than others, as you get anywhere.

What are some places more apt to hire a new medic, especially one moving from states away? I have 5 years EMT experience both volunteer 911, transport for a year, and NYC 911 for about a year. I have no problem earning medic experience here first, but I would like to move as soon as possible. Definitely no more than a couple years down the road.

I find that a lot of work in my area is per diem, is it the same down there, or is there more opportunity for full-time work?

Also, any information on general work environments, camaraderie among co-workers (looking for that real family-like feel), and salary vs cost of living from the standpoint of people in the area. (i find those salary/cost of living websites are never really helpful)

Thanks!

OP
OP
BassoonEMT

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
Www.medic911.com. Based in Charlotte. I moved from so cal to work here. Best decision ever.

How much experience did you have before getting hired? What was the process like, being from out of state? Especially with certification/reciprocity and the like.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
I sent you a PM.

I only had a few years of Dr's apt runs before medic school. Once I finished medic school I applied here and got hired. Process was rigorous but not impossible. Reciprocity was easy. MEDIC staff took care of it while in the new hire academy.