new here... i have a question

emt4life13

Forum Ride Along
This is so basic and I'm sorry in advance; however, I'm writing a report on a clinical shift i did last night in a hospital setting. The pt was a ROSC in field. My question is this: under some notes someone else took, they wrote that in the field the paramedics did or administered something and the abbreviation is 'RIO'. A google searched showed nothing that sounded right. Juts wondering if someone could shed some light on this abbreviation?

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
This is so basic and I'm sorry in advance; however, I'm writing a report on a clinical shift i did last night in a hospital setting. The pt was a ROSC in field. My question is this: under some notes someone else took, they wrote that in the field the paramedics did or administered something and the abbreviation is 'RIO'. A google searched showed nothing that sounded right. Juts wondering if someone could shed some light on this abbreviation?

(something) interosseous? BTW, if you get heat for asking a basic question, you should be getting the apology, not giving one.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Route via InterOsseous? Would be my guess. Never seen that abbreviation before so I'm only guessing. Or the paramedic is planning on going to RIO this summer.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Maybe they started a R(ight) IO? An IO is an abbreviation for interosseous, a needle which goes into the bone, instead of an IV, which goes into a vein.

Last edited:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Radar Intercept Officer.
5a7904b8b4252672f7bb3a5b7d8c1957.jpg

Joking of course. In all seriousness, IO is a standard abbreviation. RIO, not so much.

It is a totally fair question to ask, OP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
very possible... but WHERE did they do it? right tibia? right humerus?

Some places dont have multiple site options. We only had the tibias until last year I think(may be two).

Anyway, this is why abbreviations as a whole are bad, especially non standard abbreviations. Just write what you mean. You'll save everybody a lot of aggravation.

And yeah, if I had to guess, RightIO.

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
Some places dont have multiple site options. We only had the tibias until last year I think(may be two).

Anyway, this is why abbreviations as a whole are bad, especially non standard abbreviations. Just write what you mean. You'll save everybody a lot of aggravation.

And yeah, if I had to guess, RightIO.

Just pointing out the extra layer of poor documentation.