New EMT

Tyrogrs94

Forum Ride Along
I graduated from EMT school in January, but also got knee surgery in January. So now that im all healed up, what should i study up on to be succesful.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
what ISNT particle physics!?!?! Thats the real question you should be asking yourself.

Jesus, you got a long way to go kid.
purity.png

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok. Sarcasm isn’t your speed. I guess we’ll go with blunt and unfiltered.

You are presumably going to be working as an EMT, your field of study. You asked what to study to be successful. My suggestion would be, hold on to your hats kid, EMT stuff. You might start with your textbook. What else would you have expected to be told?

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
Realisticly though? Learn how to operate a gurney, drive and know routes or have a good garmin GPS.

thats the bulk of your job. Learn where everything is in the ambulance so when its needed in a REAL emergency your not fumbling around for it for your medic. Like, when he wants a 7.0 ET Tube its DONE and your not like OMG OMG WHERE IS IT GIMME 2 MINUTES cause thats like way too long.

Uhm, Radio codes if your system uses that. I dunno.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
As far as specific EMT stuff...yeah there's always your textbook. College level semester length full Anatomy and Physiology is always a super popular suggestion for self-study as well. Especially if you intend to move on from EMT to Paramedic or Nurse or PA or MD/DO or whatever.

Specific local protocols are always good to know...

But really, the joke about studying Particle Physics is less a joke than you think...cuz the sky is the limit. Just cuz you're on an ambulance doesn't mean everything you do has to revolve around that. If you have a passing fancy for Underwater Basket Weaving, by all means, pick up a book on that. The only limit is your own imagination.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Learn where everything is in the ambulance so when its needed in a REAL emergency your not fumbling around for it for your medic.

Its nice to know too if your medic prefers a certain ET tube size and it he/she is a Mac or Miller blade kind of person. Also those IO sharps things that always get lost as soon as you break open the package... keep that handy.

OP
OP
T

Tyrogrs94

Forum Ride Along
Lmao Ik emt school is way different from the field, that’s all I was asking. Just like the military I know that **** was different from mos school to the fleet