New EMT

emt for life

Forum Crew Member
Wassup guys, I have just completed my EMT Certification with an 81 on the written test so i did very good considering the test was nothing like the tests in the book. I am just seeking advice on how to be a good emt and make an impression on many different people any suggestions, advice, or critisisms for me in the new world of life as an EMT.. thanks for any comments.:)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wassup guys, I have just completed my EMT Certification with an 81 on the written test so i did very good considering the test was nothing like the tests in the book. I am just seeking advice on how to be a good emt and make an impression on many different people any suggestions, advice, or critisisms for me in the new world of life as an EMT.. thanks for any comments.:)

Never stop learning and always be willing to learn new things. Be open to different ways of doing things.

OP
OP
E

emt for life

Forum Crew Member
thanks man this helps alot. I will definately keep an open mind and not let just one simple thing get me down like death or something like that .. thanks for the comment

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi there,

Welcome to the forums and to the world of EMS. Good luck and we look forward to your contribution and hope that you can learn some things here to help you in the field.

As an aside.....I am amazed that your screen name wasn't taken already. ^_^

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Also if you do run a call that bothers you talk about it. If you don't talk about it, it builds up alot of stress.

OP
OP
E

emt for life

Forum Crew Member
haha ikr i was very suprised also.. and we have cism where im at so thats a plus but i will for sure talk about it .. thanks for all the comments.

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
Welcome, and good luck in your EMS adventures. There are a lot of joys and pains in this field. Learn to enjoy and learn from both.

Also if you do run a call that bothers you talk about it. If you don't talk about it, it builds up alot of stress.

Very big point!! Some people find it hard to talk about this stuff "Face-to-Face" This site is a great outlet as well. There are many very helpful, seasoned vets here.

Some of the things I've noticed from new EMT's are:
1. Failure to learn their service's protocols for their level.
2. Failure to learn their service's protocols for the levels above and below them.
3. No willingness to learn or think they know everything. EMS schools don't make good providers, they make adequate providers. Time/experience makes them good.
4. Making excuses. Don't do it. If you did it admit it. This goes for not doing things as well. Your integrity MUST REMAIN INTACT to be taken as a professional.
5. Failure to trust their skills. You are at least adequate.

Things I recommend:
1. Learn the map for your response area/s
2. Listen to the patient even if you think you know what's going on.
3. TALK to your patient even if they don't need any intervention, the back of an ambulance can be a lonely place. Conversation can be powerful medicine.
4. Learn that running lights and sirens is dangerous, NOT FUN.
5. Look twice move once. Keep an eye on your scene.
6. ASK for HELP when your not sure about something.
7. Don't be brave, be smart. If your uncomfortable in a situation, TELL someone.
8. Keep the ambulance shiny side up.

Good luck

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Dont be surprised how much time passes and you are still learning something new everyday. I know we all strive to learn something new everyday, but when it comes to the many ways patients can present you will truly see a lot of patients before something becomes routine. I am pushing two years and have not had many "typical" patients. They all teach me something new.

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant

I too am an EMT-B in Virginia. I am getting ready to bridge from B to I in beginning in August.

The post regarding always learning something is 100% accurate. Don't just lay your EMT book down and think to yourself, "now I'm an EMT, so I don't have to study as much". If you want to be like everyone else, take that approach, but if you want to stand out, constantly read and learn something. You can get stuff off of EBAY for little of nothing and there are a bunch of videos on youtube.

As an example, the other day on duty a paramedic was talking to an EMT-E about "Cushing's Triad" and I spoke up as an EMT-B and explained it to him. Don't you think I got the attention of the paramedic? I'd be willing to bet he trusts me just a little more.

Here's how to tell if you want to learn as much as you can.. When you read the words "Cushing's Triad" in my post, did you wonder what that is, and Google it to find out? That's what it takes, and do it everyday....

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emt for life

Forum Crew Member
i hear ya man.. i was always the one in the emt class to try to answer first and if i got it wrong then it was very close... i read the chapters 3 times each to learn the material enough to make a good test grade.... i actually have a learning disability and thought i would have a touch time in the class but i definately did not have any trouble because i studied alot and i really am passionate about it and love to be in the rush and help people in the community

OP
OP
E

emt for life

Forum Crew Member
ik its crazy. i was a ride along for a year and some months and i learned alot about myself and the people around me in the community. i really like the fact that i learn something new everyday and that i get to help everyone in the back of that ambulance and mabye save someones life.:)