New EMT student!!!

Xueyon

Forum Probie
Hi everyone! Well i start my EMT class Wednesday and im really excited. I just had a question about what the difference between EMT-b and EMT-1 is? Also wish me luck at school....

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
well if your asking about EMT-B or EMT-1, they are the Same thing. Basic or first level

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
In California, an EMT - B is registered as an EMT-I or EMT-1. What would be an EMT-I or AEMT in other states is an EMT-II or EMT-2. It's all about California being different.

FF894

Forum Captain
So if someone from California says they are an EMT-I they are an EMT-Basic, not an EMT-Intermediate?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
So if someone from California says they are an EMT-I they are an EMT-Basic, not an EMT-Intermediate?

That is most likely correct, 894. Unless they use this site or those like it and are aware of the various differences.

Oh, and there's not a lot of intermediates in Cal, we just really don't need them. Many of our areas have true ALS available as primary response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Code 3

Forum Captain
That is most likely correct, 894. Unless they use this site or those like it and are aware of the various differences.

Oh, and there's not a lot of intermediates in Cal, we just really don't need them. Many of our areas have true ALS available as primary response.

I think the confusion is that California uses the Roman numerals to distinguish the EMT levels.

EMT-I is meant as EMT-1 not as in the letter i

EMT-II is meant as EMT-2 or what everyone else considers EMT-Intermediate

You shouldn't get this confusion because when someone is actually speaking it they would say it as "Hello, I'm an EMT one" or basic. The hard part is when someone types it somewhere because obviously the Roman numeral for one is also a capitalized i.

:wacko:

wolverine

Forum Crew Member
Emt1 or Emt-B

Best of luck brother EMT1 is the same that's just old school before they changed the name to B=Basic then there is I=Intermediate which is practiced in very few states, not sure which still has it I think Connecticut is one then there is EMT-P=Paramedic

OP
OP
X

Xueyon

Forum Probie
Best of luck brother EMT1 is the same that's just old school before they changed the name to B=Basic then there is I=Intermediate which is practiced in very few states, not sure which still has it I think Connecticut is one then there is EMT-P=Paramedic

Hey thnx alot. Yeah some people were telling me basics were different from EMT 1's so yeah.

wolverine

Forum Crew Member
Hey thnx alot. Yeah some people were telling me basics were different from EMT 1's so yeah.
Just to give you a heads up there are a lot of great EMS people you going to meet, and there are those who will tell you story about giving CPR to big foot<_< take everything with a grain of salt and use your judgment to figure out what to believe and what to discardB)

OP
OP
X

Xueyon

Forum Probie
Just to give you a heads up there are a lot of great EMS people you going to meet, and there are those who will tell you story about giving CPR to big foot<_< take everything with a grain of salt and use your judgment to figure out what to believe and what to discardB)

haha yeah gotcha' thnx

NREMT3138

Forum Probie
Good luck to you! Here's a bit of advice if you want it..... pay close attention in Basic class because having a really true understanding of the basics is going to help you through your entire career - whether you stay a basic or take it on to paramedic or even further. Always remember - BLS before ALS.

wolverine

Forum Crew Member
To Xueyon

Forgot to mention pay attention to Airway it all start&end with ABC

danguitar12345

Forum Probie
Answer

more training more time and also its emt-I ( not to be rude or anything)
just saying

JPINFV

Gadfly

Alaska is the other state that does EMT-I, II, III, EMT-P.

more training more time and also its emt-I ( not to be rude or anything)
just saying

Wrong. In California the official title of EMT-Basics is EMT-I (roman numeral 1), EMT-Intermediate is EMT-II (two). That said, anyone who knows enough about California to understand the EMT-I, EMT-II, EMT-P system (especially since NREMT-B is used for initial EMT-B certification) deserves to be slapped with a wet noodle. They know full well that it's misleading to people who don't understand the nomenclature.

/NREMT-B, California EMT-I.