New EMT, don't understand a couple of calls.

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
wow I was thinking the same thing... What kind of little leaguer gets a concussion from being hit by a pitch lol. 999,990 out of 1,000,000 times that happens the batter is ok. Sounds like you need to cool your jets a little bit there turbo. LOL almost every single kid that gets hit by a pitch falls down because they are a kid, plain and simple. Also, I didn't know IV O2 and monitor were BLS skills...?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, I didn't know IV O2 and monitor were BLS skills...?

The person mentioned they are from Canada, where they have a different scope of practice.

Out here in CO, with two classes post-EMT, an EMT-B can start IVs and do very basic monitoring. Can't treat any arrhythmias... the training is to properly set everything up and recognize arrhythmias.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Irish: The other wrinkle in this is, how many Paramedics have formal education in evaluating concussions, especially with respect to athletics? I know a few that do... a very, very few. Unfortunately, doing those evaluations and making the appropriate play/no-play decisions is outside any Paramedic Scope of Practice that I am aware of.

UsualSuspect147

Forum Probie
With the oxygen, that totally depends on your protocol. Where I did my ride-alongs, you had to put oxygen on nearly every patient. It was more of a courtesy then anything else.
Do happen to know what her SP02 was at? That should be what you would determine if the patient needed oxygen or not.

Yeah that's what I was going to post. The fact that her pupils were PERRL or not doesn't really matter... her SPo2 does. And I don't see why blood loss would require 15LPM at all. If anything a NRB tends to freak people out, especially children. NC is fine... but 6 is a little excessive for a NC, tends to dry out the nose and hinder more than help.