New EMT and new anxiety

awkwardsprinkle

Forum Ride Along
I just got my first job as an EMT-B, and I'm struggling with this anxiety that I wasn't expecting. It has nothing to do with patient care, communicating with patients, or anything like that, but it's more or less a performance anxiety that is making it difficult for me to feel like I'm progressing with my training. I worked with a pair of EMT's that have been working with the company for 15 years, on my second day they seemed to be more insulting than supportive. I kept my mouth shut, but they kept telling me that I'm not using common sense that I'm anti social, I'm looking for a way that I can deal with that stress and overcome the performance anxiety that comes from having every moment analyzed. Is this a normal feeling to have?

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I just got my first job as an EMT-B, and I'm struggling with this anxiety that I wasn't expecting. It has nothing to do with patient care, communicating with patients, or anything like that, but it's more or less a performance anxiety that is making it difficult for me to feel like I'm progressing with my training. I worked with a pair of EMT's that have been working with the company for 15 years, on my second day they seemed to be more insulting than supportive. I kept my mouth shut, but they kept telling me that I'm not using common sense that I'm anti social, I'm looking for a way that I can deal with that stress and overcome the performance anxiety that comes from having every moment analyzed. Is this a normal feeling to have?

Its not a normal feeling. If you are having problems with the FTO let the supervisor know. There is no reason that should be abusive, their job is to train you.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Its not a normal feeling. If you are having problems with the FTO let the supervisor know. There is no reason that should be abusive, their job is to train you.

Or you could give yourself more time to feel comfortable, while recognizing that you might have a very different perception of your work environment six months from now.

Based on my own experiences, I'd say anxiety is normal when starting a new job.

DVetter

Forum Probie
Anxiety

Dear Sprinkle,

Your main focus is with the patient.
During your career you will work will excellent EMT's and some jerks.
Stay focused on treating Mrs.or Mr. Smith with the respect they deserve and things will work out. You will become more familiar with your skills and environment. Most of all relax and enjoy the ride. Good luck to you and be safe out there.

Diane Vetter.
EMT / Firefighter
16 years

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
If they've been EMT-Basics for 15 years, don't try and emulate them if you want more out of this field. Relax, find a paramedic partner you enjoy, and learn from them while you knock out paramedic school prerequisites. You'll learn together and it will be way more fun.

Learning the ropes from a veteran EMT-B is like mastering the fry cook station at Burger King when you want to be an IHOP head cook somewhere- helpful, but you're going to master EMT-B stuff rapidly anyway.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Do you think they don't like you or something? Do you think they have a personal issue with you, or do you think they're probably like that with everyone who's new?

My first instructor that I had many moons ago was for HCP-BLS/CPR at a nursing home. He turned out to be my next instructor for EMR. Both those classes were required of the CNAs, and the students in Law Enforcement. Students that he would probably never see again because his classes were only a prerequisite for their graduation..

When he found out that I was planning on continuing past EMR, then past EMT then on to Medic school, his whole attitude towards me changed..

He scrutinized every single move I made. He would single me out in classes, he would literally look over my shoulder and watch me while I took tests to make me nervous. He'd critique the proportion of my physiology sketches.. He'd pick on the way I took notes in class. He always made me do skills labs first, and in front of the whole class, while yelling in my ear trying to distract me and make me mess up. Then he'd pick me apart in front of everyone. He didn't do that to anyone else, just me.

He rode me like a *insert vulgar term here* Even the other students noticed.

15 years earlier, I'd probably have taken it personally. I'd probably think he was "bullying" me... I probably would have gone home and cried thinking he didn't like me..

But that's not why he singled me out.. He wasn't being mean to me, he teaching me. He was making me preform under stress, he was seeing if I could follow his orders and do as I was told. He was actually doing me a solid by preparing me. He tough-loved the heck out of me.. :wub:

But there's a difference between tough love and being a straight up butt hole..

There's also a difference between anti-social, and being anti-:censored: hole

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
When he found out that I was planning on continuing past EMR, then past EMT then on to Medic school, his whole attitude towards me changed..

He scrutinized every single move I made. He would single me out in classes, he would literally look over my shoulder and watch me while I took tests to make me nervous. He'd critique the proportion of my physiology sketches.. He'd pick on the way I took notes in class. He always made me do skills labs first, and in front of the whole class, while yelling in my ear trying to distract me and make me mess up. Then he'd pick me apart in front of everyone. He didn't do that to anyone else, just me.

He rode me like a *insert vulgar term here* Even the other students noticed.

15 years earlier, I'd probably have taken it personally. I'd probably think he was "bullying" me... I probably would have gone home and cried thinking he didn't like me..

But that's not why he singled me out.. He wasn't being mean to me, he teaching me. He was making me preform under stress, he was seeing if I could follow his orders and do as I was told. He was actually doing me a solid by preparing me. He tough-loved the heck out of me.. :wub:

You keep telling yourself that. He sounds like a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: instructor.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
+1. His way may have helped you, but it wasn't because he was a good teacher.

He's still my instructor for my practical skills class, he's my favorite. I schedule my field internships for his shifts. Things have changed a lot since the first couple weeks. I never expect to be treated like a special snowflake, but I do expect to be treated with respect --and I have been. Everyone should be.

And now when he slaps me on the back and tells me "good job Probie" it means a world more then if he had wiped my bottom from the get-go..

You have to ask yourself, "Are they trying to help me succeed, or are they trying to make me fail?" Are your mentors holding you to a higher expectation because they know you can be better? Maybe... Or they could just be d!ck$..

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Two things stick out. First off the fact these two have been EMTs for 15 years. The second is that they said you were anti social....on your second day? Of course some people are going to be a little quiet their first couple days on the job. The fact they said something about it makes me question their judgement and professionalism.

I wouldnt take anything personally from these two. If they dont like you who cares. Assuming this isnt just some side job they do, if theyve been doing this for a living for 15 years and havent progressed past EMT, that shows you everything you need to know, and might explain their less than welcoming behavior.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
He's still my instructor for my practical skills class, he's my favorite. I schedule my field internships for his shifts. Things have changed a lot since the first couple weeks. I never expect to be treated like a special snowflake, but I do expect to be treated with respect --and I have been. Everyone should be.

And now when he slaps me on the back and tells me "good job Probie" it means a world more then if he had wiped my bottom from the get-go..

You have to ask yourself, "Are they trying to help me succeed, or are they trying to make me fail?" Are your mentors holding you to a higher expectation because they know you can be better? Maybe... Or they could just be d!ck$..

There's a difference between an instructor pushing you to be better and FTOs that are jerks. The way you respond to that is unique and doesn't work for everyone, if an instructor did that to me I would respond negatively, not wanting to go to class or just feeling negative in general. My instructors where supportive, and taught me the material but didn't hand feed me everything, they made me work for it but they didn't have to put me down to do it. You're right it helped you but a lot of other great students would've responded negatively.

flyfisher151

Forum Crew Member
Keep on keeping on as Joe Dirt would say. My second day of training my "training paramedic" told me "you just suck". Of course I sucked. I had a total of 24 hours experience as a basic. I had never been in an ambulance when I started. Just because you do not have experience, does not mean you are stupid.
Months down the road and MANY hours on the rig....I get scheduled to work with this person. I show up and to my surprise, they called in sick? I think I won that battle by saying nothing and just working hard. I love proving a person like that wrong.
Everyone else has been very encouraging and has helped me learn my way around. I got my street cred. Now that person sees me and goes the other way.
Thicken up the skin and keep going.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Could be the normal (I'm not saying healthy) hazing that folks in EMS seem to love to hit new people with. I'd try and tough it out for a while longer and in the meantime try not to let them rattle you. More than likely that's what they are trying to do is get you worked up.

novemberuniformtango

Forum Ride Along
rYears ago when I started my first job was for a bls c tompany. I had a similar issue with my first FTO. Yrs later I was working for a near by company. I was in charge for a tour and we had a bad house fire. Long story short that same FTO came in for mutual aid. And boy he was a dear in the head lights lol. Just stay relaxed and remember your training. Your are new so you will make mistakes. That is the FTOs job to correct you but not but you down. Be receptive to constructive thoughts from your FTO but don't let him or her be a a** about it.