New EMS Tribute Video

KB1MZR

Forum Probie
Hello All,

I know you have all seen some kind of EMS tribute video with a whole bunch of cool pics of EMS and stuff and some music playing in the background. I have some experience in working for a full service video production company, so you could say I've done a little bit of editing on the professional level.

If any of you have seen a military unit, or gone through a "mission briefing" every unit I've seen has their own video to kind of show off the unit.

What I'm looking to do is create an EMS tribute video that really shows what EMS is like but less of a tribute and more of a promotional video to get people "pumped up" about EMS. For example, something for instructors to show the first night of EMT class.

What I'm looking for from you:

- Any input
- Pictures
- Videos

I don't want to go to google images find a whole bunch of pics and toss something together. I would like people to submit work to go into the video. Now, I do have to lay the ground rules, nothing definitely copyrighted, NOTHING that violates HIPAA or any patients privacy, and nothing your service wouldn't approve of being in the video, but I'm looking for real pictures and videos of real EMT's doing what we do best.

Thanks in advance!

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Hello All,

I know you have all seen some kind of EMS tribute video with a whole bunch of cool pics of EMS and stuff and some music playing in the background. I have some experience in working for a full service video production company, so you could say I've done a little bit of editing on the professional level.

If any of you have seen a military unit, or gone through a "mission briefing" every unit I've seen has their own video to kind of show off the unit.

What I'm looking to do is create an EMS tribute video that really shows what EMS is like but less of a tribute and more of a promotional video to get people "pumped up" about EMS. For example, something for instructors to show the first night of EMT class.

What I'm looking for from you:

- Any input
- Pictures
- Videos

I don't want to go to google images find a whole bunch of pics and toss something together. I would like people to submit work to go into the video. Now, I do have to lay the ground rules, nothing definitely copyrighted, NOTHING that violates HIPAA or any patients privacy, and nothing your service wouldn't approve of being in the video, but I'm looking for real pictures and videos of real EMT's doing what we do best.

Thanks in advance!

If you are going to use a song, DON'T use the song "How to Save a Life" by The Fray. WAY overused for movies like this.

Also, you might want to consider showing both the good side of EMS and the bad. If you really want to make it a promotional video, show both sides, so that it attracts people who are more suited for EMS. Don't JUST make it show the "good stuff", because than people will be in for a surprise.

Other people from the site with more experience (I have none in EMS at the moment) will be able to help you out more.

Hope this helps!

Eric

OP
OP
K

KB1MZR

Forum Probie
Thanks! Ya, I was thinking of maybe using a short clip from How to Save A Life somewhere, I do agree with you and it has nothing to do with EMS but I'll kind of blend things well and u won't see much of it. But, my personal favorites are Thrice's "Artist in the Ambulance", a song called "Calling All Angels".

As far as showing the good and bad that is something that will definitely go in there. I don't know if you've ever heard of a poem called "The Heart of EMS" but if you haven't it's definitely something to read and I would like to focus part of the video on that. Also, one of the best lectures I've ever seen was the keynote speaker at the CT EMS conference this year Mr. Kelly Grayson and his lecture on "Life, Death, and Everything In Between" (also his outstanding book, I will recommend it to anyone in EMS). I would like to juxtapose things the way he did kind of bouncing back and forth between good and bad.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Thanks! Ya, I was thinking of maybe using a short clip from How to Save A Life somewhere, I do agree with you and it has nothing to do with EMS but I'll kind of blend things well and u won't see much of it. But, my personal favorites are Thrice's "Artist in the Ambulance", a song called "Calling All Angels".

As far as showing the good and bad that is something that will definitely go in there. I don't know if you've ever heard of a poem called "The Heart of EMS" but if you haven't it's definitely something to read and I would like to focus part of the video on that. Also, one of the best lectures I've ever seen was the keynote speaker at the CT EMS conference this year Mr. Kelly Grayson and his lecture on "Life, Death, and Everything In Between" (also his outstanding book, I will recommend it to anyone in EMS). I would like to juxtapose things the way he did kind of bouncing back and forth between good and bad.

Glad to help. I have seen an EMS clip with "Calling All Angels", and I really liked it. Fit really well with the theme.

I have heard of, but never heard, "The Artist in the Ambulance." I will listen to it at some point.

I am going to look up The Heart of EMS after I finish this reply.

Funny you mention Grayson. I am currently in the middle of reading his book (En Route). GREAT read so far.

I like the idea of going back and forth from good to bad.

If you need anything else, let me know. Always glad to help.

Eric

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are going to use a song, DON'T use the song "How to Save a Life" by The Fray. WAY overused for movies like this.
Amen. I would like to hunt The Fray down and kick the crap out of them for recording that song. It ranks right up there with any song from the High School Music series in terms of quality, which means it is just below a club remix of that guy that does the Sham-Wow commercials.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Amen. I would like to hunt The Fray down and kick the crap out of them for recording that song. It ranks right up there with any song from the High School Music series in terms of quality, which means it is just below a club remix of that guy that does the Sham-Wow commercials.

LOL

I don't really dislike the song. In fact, I kind of like it :blush:

But when it comes to movies for EMS, it is getting old.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Too many so called tribute videos use the wrong music to try and "move" the video. Boring fade-ins of EMS images over and over kill the emotion that is meant to be conveyed in the first ten seconds. Then couple that with totally lame lyrics that attempt a parallel to the video's message. The lyrics distract the message of the video.

Try to find something original and it doesn't necessarily have to have lyrics. Look over what's already been done in the past and try to move your tribute in another direction. I can tell you from my perspective and experience, every EMS tribute that I've seen failed to move me.