New Ambu plastic headblocks

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
We got these a few months ago, I like how easy they are to put on and get setup, but they're not very comfortable and seem to hyperextend the neck as they aren't padded. It's nice though that all we have to do is pull the cord on the end and it wedges the head into place.

https://www.boundtree.com/head-wedge-head-immobilizer-group-7731-163.aspx

Anybody else use them?

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
The last private system I was at in San Antonio had them. Was my first time to ever see them. Personally I'm glad I never had to use them, as I really just... don't trust them. Spinal immobilization is already on the not-so-perfect side.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The last private system I was at in San Antonio had them. Was my first time to ever see them. Personally I'm glad I never had to use them, as I really just... don't trust them. Spinal immobilization is already on the not-so-perfect side.

There ain't no such thing. Hopefully these devices will soon become a thing of the past, that one looks especially uncomfortable.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I've used them haha. I don't like them at all.

Anjel

Forum Angel
We have them. Don't care for them. And when it's cold or raining, they don't stick very well.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I use them here at my new service. I try my damndest to only backboard if absolutely neccessary, so I haven't used them yet. But they don't look like they're gonna be my favorites.

Drax

Forum Captain
Had them in my EMT class.

You know that special feeling you get when you use a flimsy piece of plastic that isn't going to effectively serve your needs?

...yeah...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
SO tired of hyperbole.

Top of the web page, and I quote:

"Designed to immobilize the patient’s head instantly and effectively when placed on a backboard. It is applied in just four steps".

Instantly? Or four steps?

Two sandbags and duct tape = three steps. Not that I'm recommending that except as an improv when you happen to be carrying a couple of long four pound bags….

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Top of the web page, and I quote:

"Designed to immobilize the patient’s head instantly and effectively when placed on a backboard. It is applied in just four steps".

Instantly? Or four steps?

Two sandbags and duct tape = three steps. Not that I'm recommending that except as an improv when you happen to be carrying a couple of long four pound bags….

And sand.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Yes, and sand….