Need some clarification

Sam Kemper

Forum Ride Along
I'm 18 and a security officer at a mall located in Cincinnati. I was told that I am not allowed to practice my EMT skills by the security company ( I assume they dont want to be responsible for me). If I am correct, I am still allowed to preform life saving actions that are in my scope of practice since i would be acting under the State of Ohio and not the security company, correct? I realize this is a pretty obvious answer but I would need some clarification because i have heard several different answers.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You are a Good Samaritan. Remember that in class?

Activate 911.
CPR or AED if needed.
Control any bleeding.

You know, the things any normal passer by would do in same situation. The above should be the extent of your life saving endeavors while on the job.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
You know, the things any normal passer by would do in same situation.
This.

First and foremost, heed the policies and procedures that your employer sets forth. In the end, they are the ones that sign your paycheck.

Second, do they provide any equipment? AED? CPR mask? Band-aids? Provide any training how to use them?

I've seen a few sites require EMTs, but only allow the scope of practice of an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR). See this document from ems.gov:
https://www.ems.gov/education/EMSScope.pdf

Reference pages 29 - 31. Maybe you can review these with your site supervisor.

For additional reference, here's the scope of practice for Ohio:
http://www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/ems_scope_practice.pdf

vc85

Forum Crew Member
Also there is a difference between what the state can allow you to do and what your employer can let you do.

The state can say you are allowed to use EMT skills off duty. Your employer has the right to fire you if you violate their policy at work

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Scope-of-practice.png

I think the diagram in the National EMS Scope of Practice Model
document sets things out nicely. It is pretty much universally true that "an individual may only perform a skill or role for which that person is:
• educated (has been trained to do the skill or role), AND
• certified (has demonstrated competence in the skill or role), AND
• licensed (has legal authority issued by the State to perform the skill or role), AND
• credentialed (has been authorized by medical director to perform the skill or role)."

(mod note: change image format so it would display properly)

Last edited by a moderator: