Need info about AmeriCare Ambulance and drug testing

ParamedicLifeEZ

Forum Ride Along
OK so before I start let me make it clear, I do not do any drugs---not even OTC or Prescription. I just need to know if AmeriCare Ambulance draws blood for drug testing. I hate blood draws. I don't mind other peoples blood, I just hate needles going into my arm.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Most places do a pre-employment urine, either 5 or 12 panel. It's a cheap, quick screen. Post accident will probably require a blood draw and a urine.

If you don't like needles, you'll have a hard time with EMS. Between vaccines or titers and a PPD each year, you're in trouble.

I'd rather have a straight stick blood draw than a gram of Rocephin any day. It's really not a big deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

ParamedicLifeEZ

Forum Ride Along
OK thank you. I have no problem with vaccines but blood draws get me. Oh well, we all gotta do it someday anyways.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I didn't know they were still around. I don't think they did one when I was hired. Typically most companies won't resort to blood draws unless you fail a urinalysis.

Also, how do you feel about annual/ bi-annual TB skin tests?

OP
OP
P

ParamedicLifeEZ

Forum Ride Along
I didn't know they were still around. I don't think they did one when I was hired. Typically most companies won't resort to blood draws unless you fail a urinalysis.

Also, how do you feel about annual/ bi-annual TB skin tests?

I don't mind at all. TB tests are nothing. I hate the big needle sucking out my blood.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah I'm not personally aware of any companies that routinely do invasive blood tests for routine drug screens, even the Army and when I worked as an AO for a Fire Dept where such things are zero tolerance it was all just urinalysis unless you give them a reason to do blood draws.

OP
OP
P

ParamedicLifeEZ

Forum Ride Along
Yeah I'm not personally aware of any companies that routinely do invasive blood tests for routine drug screens, even the Army and when I worked as an AO for a Fire Dept where such things are zero tolerance it was all just urinalysis unless you give them a reason to do blood draws.
Thank you. Thats good to know.

CaptCanadia

Forum Probie
I used to work for AmeriCare, they do a urinalysis at a chiropractic place. The hiring process is quick and easy. And yes, AmeriCare does still exist under that name, they are just currently owned by Ambulnz.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Same diff, different paint schemes.

CaptCanadia

Forum Probie
Still completely seperate policy, rules and regulations, dispatch, uniform, and scheduling. If you didn't tell an AmeriCare employee they are owned by Ambulnz they wouldn't know. Weird I know..

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I worked there too, for a very brief stint. A few months of my life I won't ever get back. It even gave me a sense of respect and gratitude towards the notorious "evil empire". There's hardly any difference with the gazillion fly by nights down there; these two are no different.

It led me to greener pastures, literally, this year has yielded greener pastures than the years past, but per my norm, I digress...

Reactions: NPO

CaptCanadia

Forum Probie
I must agree with you, that time in my life is rather...gone. Glad my stint there is over! However to OP, not to scare you out of this employment, as you will still get good patient contact and will be compensated rather well (up there for the highest compensation for LA county). If you are new, enjoy this as a learning opportunity both as looking for employment in EMS and with patient care. Best of luck to you!

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Idk, I smell a "KCC" thread hijack...

@NPO, @CodeBru1984, @gonefishing what's say y'all?o_O
Agreed.

I've never worked there so my experience is limited to here-say, but I worked with a medic who quit because he couldn't stand being a medic, working as an EMT, crapped on by Fire, and staging on TCs because the big red truck wasn't on scene yet.

But can't confirm.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Americare is now owned by the same group that owns Ambulanz. Listen your just starting out, if your looking at just becoming a fireman, enjoy your miserable time doing dialysis and psych transfers. If you want to stick around LA county go the majors
AMR
CARE
SCHAEFER
MCCORMICK
If you can move and want to do REAL ems,
Kern county at Hall Ambulance where they will pay you and pay for your paramedic school.
You'll also get to be a real emt not a gurney jockey.
Amr san bernardino and riverside countys are also great places. Be better than a fire jock passing his time waiting for that 1 in a 1000 spot in line to ride big red.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Can confirm ^^ However as a medic you will only be running IFT BLS, sorry. Did not realize OP is a medic.
If hes a medic than yes. Just a glorified emt with a monitor running psychs, dialysis and bls.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yep, easiest medic money one can make. Mind numbing psych transfers and the occasional "ALS" IFT. They did pay generously and the checks never bounced on me, so there's that.

Either way, I'll let the other Pirates of the KCC entice the OP as to why and where there are definitely greener pastures without wasting thier time further, you too @CaptCanadia.

Reactions: NPO

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
To the OP, I spent 10 years of my career in LA county. Granted my sensi VentMonkey alot longer than I, heed the warning and stay clear. You want to use your medic skills head to Kern. Cheap living, good pay, good people, great boss. If its mind numbing and loss of skills you seek, go to LA county. The land of mother may I.