Need help in using a stryker gurney...

MyownPrison

Forum Ride Along
I had a job interview that I failed because I did not demonstrate the proper lifting/releasing of this gurney. Can anyone tell me of a place I can practice with it? Or is anyone an emt in the Modesto/Sacramento ca area that can help me out?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Have you tried contacting the company, specifically who ever is either in charge of hiring or in charge of training and try asking for advice or if they would let you practice a few times before testing again?

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I had a job interview that I failed because I did not demonstrate the proper lifting/releasing of this gurney.

Doesn't seem quite right that they should evaluate you on an unfamiliar piece of equipment. Was your problem Stryker-specific, or was it your lifting technique in general? Either way, I would hope you would be able to try it again. Good Luck!

OP
OP
M

MyownPrison

Forum Ride Along
Have you tried contacting the company, specifically who ever is either in charge of hiring or in charge of training and try asking for advice or if they would let you practice a few times before testing again?
The job was in la. A 6 hour drive for me lol. They gave me 6 tries to do it correctly. So I need much practice. But I cant drive 6 hours to go back there to do it.

OP
OP
M

MyownPrison

Forum Ride Along
Doesn't seem quite right that they should evaluate you on an unfamiliar piece of equipment. Was your problem Stryker-specific, or was it your lifting technique in general? Either way, I would hope you would be able to try it again. Good Luck!
They only tested me with the stryker gurney so I dont know.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Are there any companies near you that you applied to? I am kinda of surprised as normally gurnery function is something covered during field training or orientation, especially since there are several different models (for example, I would be lost if someone threw a one man gurney at me and told me to load it).

...and, yea, 6 hours is a long drive.

OP
OP
M

MyownPrison

Forum Ride Along
Are there any companies near you that you applied to? I am kinda of surprised as normally gurnery function is something covered during field training or orientation, especially since there are several different models (for example, I would be lost if someone threw a one man gurney at me and told me to load it).

...and, yea, 6 hours is a long drive.
Yeah I applied at places here. None of which had such a test. Ive tried contacting fire departments but they say it would be a liability to let me practice on their gurneys.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah I applied at places here. None of which had such a test. Ive tried contacting fire departments but they say it would be a liability to let me practice on their gurneys.

How about your EMT school? Or one in the area...

emtfarva

Forum Captain
it sounds like you are lifting wrong. I don't know why they failed you. lifting is also covered in field training. you can't come out school and lift perfectly either.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Are you used to Fernos?

I've used both and prefer Strykers by far, and are the more prevalent ones out here.

What exactly did you not know how to do?

OP
OP
M

MyownPrison

Forum Ride Along
Are you used to Fernos?

I've used both and prefer Strykers by far, and are the more prevalent ones out here.

What exactly did you not know how to do?
Ive never used a gurney. We didnt cover that in my emt class. Ive called a few schools in my area for their help but was turned down. Every time i lifted the stryker gurney i either didnt pull the lever at the right time and lifted the wheels off the ground or on releasing, dropped down to fast. and one aother time i didnt life my end at the same time as my partner.

if i went on an emt ride along with amr or another company, would they help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

MyownPrison

Forum Ride Along
Did you do any ambulance time in class?
None, I went through a class that didnt stress the skills. They said Id learn those on the job. But seems like that not the case. I did spend 12 hours in a hospital rotation where I learned nothing though.

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Well, Here in the Western North Carolina, some counties have it easy. They have the new battery powered gurneys that run off a car battery. Worst part is they have to carry an extra battery in the ambulance cause they die easily!!! :p

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Heres some stryker tips;

If it's red, it causes movement.

Pull red before moving, release before stopping movement.

Good luck next time.

reaper

Working Bum
Well, Here in the Western North Carolina, some counties have it easy. They have the new battery powered gurneys that run off a car battery. Worst part is they have to carry an extra battery in the ambulance cause they die easily!!! :p

Not car batteries and they don't die that easy.;)

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
None, I went through a class that didnt stress the skills. They said Id learn those on the job. But seems like that not the case. I did spend 12 hours in a hospital rotation where I learned nothing though.
Is this school accredited or is it one of these medic mills that i keep on reading about in the forums.

MGary

Forum Probie
Dunno if it's specific to the exact make of the gurney, but on the strykers here, there's only a couple of things to remember, as Linuss already touched on.

Unloading

Step 1. Push the red and/or black handle forward. This will release the latch that is holding the gurney in place. Using the top handle, pull the gurney out towards you. For heavy patients, have your partner and/or FFs help. Be ready, as much of the weight of the patient will transfer to you at this point.

Step 2. As you pull the gurney out, hold the red handle by your right hand. the wheels will automatically drop to the ground.

Step 3. If they come flat to the ground, have your partner swing the bar in the back up to clear the safety catch, and you're off.

Step 3a. More often than not, the wheels won't land perfectly. In this case, hold the red button with the plus on it until the wheels are flat on the ground. Then move on to step 3.

When putting it in, its best to have it at the highest level or near highest level.

Step 1. Push the front wheels in until they're flat on the ambulance floor.

Step 2. Lift the back up (Team lift may be necessary for heavy patients) always use the bottom bar when lifting the gurney up (Bottom's up). I know the bar above it is only about two inches higher, but when you're lifting a 300+ pound patient, it really does make a difference. Just a good habit to get into.

Step 3. Push the gurney in until one wheel is in each groove of the W-Shaped wheel holder.

Step 4. Swing the back end (the end you're still holding onto) over until it clips into the bar thing on the side. This bar is only released back when the bar on the gurney hits a little button on the inside of the latch. If the latch doesn't lock, you can either try to swing it in again (usually works if you use a little more force) or you can try to bring the gurney back towards you just a bit, which essentially makes the bar on the gurney rub against the bar on the latch and usually hits the little button. If all else fails, EMT shears or a pen can be used to hit the little button manually.

Couple of basic tips:

Plus means up, Minus means down.

Haven't ever tried pulling the red handle while it was raised up and the wheels were on the ground. However, I probably wouldn't suggest it.

The batteries have a "Memory" as some of the guys (and gals) put it. When changing batteries, it's easiest to do it while the gurney is on the ground, and do it at the LOWEST LEVEL. If you change batteries while the stretcher is raised, you are creating a bad situation for yourself. It can be fixed, but it's an annoying little quirk of the gurneys that is best avoided.

Do NOT release the safety catch (bar), nor let anyone else release the safety catch, before the stretcher is firmly planted on the ground. It looks funny, but it IS there for a reason. Not fun to learn the hard way.

If I'm leaving anything out guys; tips, tricks, or steps, feel free to add on to this. I'm just going off of my limited experience here, but my limited experience is enough to help out someone with no experience.

Hope this helps. ;)

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Not car batteries and they don't die that easy.;)

Well considering thats what I was told by the paramedics that use them, I assume they were right...MY BAD!!! Forgive me. :p