need advice

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I've been wanting to get into the medical field for quite some time but was never able to due to money, time, etc. Now I'm at a point in my life where I can get into it, but I'm wondering what is the best way to go about it. I am 43 and have a good career in a completely unrelated field, but I feel very unfulfilled. I live around the corner from my town's rescue squad and am thinking of joining. It's strictly volunteer, but would getting my EMT-B be a good way to break into the field? I thought about nursing, but the nursing schools here only seem to be interested in kids right out of high school and I'm certainly not in that category.

Also, I haven't been to school in many years so is the EMT-B course very intense? Is it possible to go through the course while working full time?

Thanks

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
I got my EMT-B in CA in 2000 when I was 32. I worked full-time as a security guard at the time. I'm not sure what the class is like now. I'm 42 now and find that Generally we have an advantage over people that are younger by way of our maturity and the fact that we will put in a maximum effort with few distractions.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been wanting to get into the medical field for quite some time but was never able to due to money, time, etc. Now I'm at a point in my life where I can get into it, but I'm wondering what is the best way to go about it. I am 43 and have a good career in a completely unrelated field, but I feel very unfulfilled. I live around the corner from my town's rescue squad and am thinking of joining. It's strictly volunteer, but would getting my EMT-B be a good way to break into the field? I thought about nursing, but the nursing schools here only seem to be interested in kids right out of high school and I'm certainly not in that category.

Also, I haven't been to school in many years so is the EMT-B course very intense? Is it possible to go through the course while working full time?

Thanks

The EMTB course is not a difficult course. It may also be just the step someone such as yourself needs to decide whether a pre-hospital job is right for you. Start early..get Anatomy/Physiology for Emergency Care. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Simusid

Forum Captain
Wow did I accidentally write and submit this same question a few months ago? I could have, because I'm almost in the same boat! About 5 years ago I was asked to be on the volunteer board of directors for the EMS in my relatively small town. I was only concerned with the business end of things (computer geek etc). I really enjoyed it BUT I always felt disconnected from the medics and the operational side of things. In short, I really didn't know anything about what the EMTs actually did!

We have a very strong training group that is partnered with a local company that holds classes from AED/heartsaver through Paramedic. We contracted with them to hold an EMT-B class at our office and even though I was very hesitant, our staff was insistant that I consider taking it. And my excuse that I was too old (46) fell on their deaf ears.

Long story short, I love it, and I'm VERY glad that I didn't chicken out. I would say the class is not "hard" but it does have a few challenges. If I can do it, you can too...seriously !

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP

Thanks

There are those your age and older in medical school. The point is you are on the path to finding out your "calling". And this is one unwavering truth. If you abandon or ignore your calling, you cease becoming the person you're destined to become.

In the words of Rocky Balboa, "Go for it". Good luck.

OP
OP
N

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
Thanks everyone for your encouraging responses! A little history on me--I was very sick when I was in my mid 20's and spent a lot of time in hospitals and around medical staff. I told myself then that if I was ever cured, I would give back to the medical community. I was very fortunate that a surgery came about that cured me of the problem about 10 years ago and I have been healthy ever since. I think it's now or never for me and although I doubt I'd go to medical school at this point, I think becoming an EMT would give me what I'm looking for and if I want to go further with it, I can. I think my experience as a patient would help a lot too.

Simusid, Good for you! I live in an area where there are many EMT classes to choose from so I'm going to call my local rescue squad and see what steps I need to take.

Thanks!

Silver_Star

Forum Crew Member
some volunteer squads will let members ride as an "ambulance attendant"
when i took the emt course it was just a lot of reading. i thought the state test was a joke, it was so easy.

OP
OP
N

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
some volunteer squads will let members ride as an "ambulance attendant"
when i took the emt course it was just a lot of reading. i thought the state test was a joke, it was so easy.

Yes, I think my local squad lets people ride along even if they haven't taken the EMT course yet.

Glad to hear the course isn't hard, although that's also a little disappointing in some ways. Did you take the national test too?

surname_levi

Forum Crew Member
emt-b is no career job. im suprised by your response to the nursing school...i have a feeling if you got the cash, they will let you in

8jimi8

CFRN

Thanks

i took my emt-b while in full time nursing school.

There were at least 5 people in my graduating nursing class that are older than you. You only "can't" do something, if you believe you can't.

Silver_Star

Forum Crew Member
Yes, I think my local squad lets people ride along even if they haven't taken the EMT course yet.

Glad to hear the course isn't hard, although that's also a little disappointing in some ways. Did you take the national test too?

no, i haven't, i'd rather not only because its a buttload more CEU's to keep up your cert. btw if you don't have the money, some squads will send you to EMT school using the emt training fund (or whats left of it)

OP
OP
N

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
no, i haven't, i'd rather not only because its a buttload more CEU's to keep up your cert. btw if you don't have the money, some squads will send you to EMT school using the emt training fund (or whats left of it)

That's interesting. I guess there's no reason to take the national test unless you're planning to move out of state, which I'm not doing.

I thought if you hooked up with a squad the training was automatically paid for. I didn't know the training fund was in poor shape.

wvditchdoc

Forum Crew Member
Some squads will pay for you to go to class, not all. Some that do will require a commitment from you (2 years for Medic Class for me) to "repay" them, this is especially true for rural Vollie Squads. For me I did the first two months as a Vollie (I was working other squads) and then was hired on as paid. So I fullfilled my requirement and got paid. Pretty sweet deal actually. :)

Course this was almost 15 years ago in BFE West Virginia.......:ph34r:

OP
OP
N

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I live in a small town that is sandwiched between two very large towns, so I'm not quite sure how the training fund will work. I called the squad yesterday and left a message saying I was interested in joining but haven't heard back yet. I think there's only about 20 people on the squad and they are all volunteers so I realize I might not get an immediate response.

Theo

Forum Crew Member
I returned to school at age 35 to get my degree in Emergency Medical Services.

Better late than never.

You are on the path to finding out your "calling". And this is one unwavering truth. If you abandon or ignore your calling, you cease becoming the person you're destined to become.

Loved this quote by the way.

TotowaEMT

Forum Probie
NJ has the EMT Training fund which lets you take the EMT course and all CEU's at no cost if you are a member of a volunteer first aid squad. Since the squads themselves dont pay for it, they usually dont "require" anything, the money for the fund actually comes from moving violations, 50 cents from every one i believe. The squad will give you a voucher which you give to the school. Lots of squads give prospective members the voucher before they even finish the new member process, but again this varies. The course is about a semester long, usually consists of 8 or 9 "modules" with a test after each. Then you take the State Exam. Attendance is pretty strict as there are a set number of hours you must attend to be able to be licensed. In Passaic County, they have 2 fall classes, one is weeknights, and they also have a weekend only class. Yes its possible while working full time, I did it myself. If you are interested in the material, you will do fine. Also, BLS for Healthcare Provider (American Heart) is usually a prerequisite for the class.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
NJ has the EMT Training fund which lets you take the EMT course and all CEU's at no cost if you are a member of a volunteer first aid squad. Since the squads themselves dont pay for it, they usually dont "require" anything, the money for the fund actually comes from moving violations, 50 cents from every one i believe. The squad will give you a voucher which you give to the school. Lots of squads give prospective members the voucher before they even finish the new member process, but again this varies. The course is about a semester long, usually consists of 8 or 9 "modules" with a test after each. Then you take the State Exam. Attendance is pretty strict as there are a set number of hours you must attend to be able to be licensed. In Passaic County, they have 2 fall classes, one is weeknights, and they also have a weekend only class. Yes its possible while working full time, I did it myself. If you are interested in the material, you will do fine. Also, BLS for Healthcare Provider (American Heart) is usually a prerequisite for the class.

Thanks for the info. I live in Union County near the American Red Cross and they have a couple of classes coming up in CPR for healthcare providers so I'm going to sign up for that. I also found out that there are plenty of options for taking the class around here. The local CC has a class that meets on 2 nights a week and that would be best for me. What is the new member process?

TotowaEMT

Forum Probie
Thanks for the info. I live in Union County near the American Red Cross and they have a couple of classes coming up in CPR for healthcare providers so I'm going to sign up for that. I also found out that there are plenty of options for taking the class around here. The local CC has a class that meets on 2 nights a week and that would be best for me. What is the new member process?

it would vary by squad. For us, new applications get read at the monthly business meeting, then they meet with the officers for an interview, check references, background check, etc. If a class is starting in the area before we read the app at the meeting, we will usually give them the voucher so they can get started.

OP
OP
N

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
it would vary by squad. For us, new applications get read at the monthly business meeting, then they meet with the officers for an interview, check references, background check, etc. If a class is starting in the area before we read the app at the meeting, we will usually give them the voucher so they can get started.

I went over to the squad today and met with a LT. He looked really young, but he's also a firefighter and seemed to know a lot, so maybe he just looks young for his age. He said the procedure is the same as what you said above. I told him I was going to sign up for CPR for the pro rescuer at the Red Cross and he told me to hold off until he has the Captain call me. He said the squad usually does their own training for that which is free so he didn't want me to have to pay for it myself. He also said as soon as I clear the background check, I can start riding with them which really surprised me. So he gave me an application and I'll fill it out and take it from there. I'm excited!