Need advice about disclosing past drug use

Millich

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

I'm applying to be an EMT in an area that 1) polygraphs and 2) has a pre-polygraph questionnaire that asks you to disclose past drug use.

Years ago I smoked marijuana here and there. I've been clean and intend to remain clean because I really want to be an EMT. My question is, if I admit on the pre-polygraph questionnaire that I used to smoke, will that disqualify me? I don't want to lie because I want to be able to pass the polygraph. It says on the form that they want honest people and they understand it's near impossible to hire people who have never experimented with drugs.

Thanks for reading and any advice in advance.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Different departments have different policies, but generally, marijuana use "years ago" will not disqualify you.

What likely WILL disqualify you is to fail the polygraph. So unless you know how to beat it, you really have no choice but to tell the truth.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Hello,

I'm applying to be an EMT in an area that 1) polygraphs and 2) has a pre-polygraph questionnaire that asks you to disclose past drug use.

Years ago I smoked marijuana here and there. I've been clean and intend to remain clean because I really want to be an EMT. My question is, if I admit on the pre-polygraph questionnaire that I used to smoke, will that disqualify me? I don't want to lie because I want to be able to pass the polygraph. It says on the form that they want honest people and they understand it's near impossible to hire people who have never experimented with drugs.

Thanks for reading and any advice in advance.

It usually depends on how long ago and how frequent the use is. If it was more than 5 years ago and only occasionally, it's fine. If it was more recently, it probably won't be a deal-breaker but they MIGHT be a little less forgiving.

I don't think it will be a major issue. Be honest. Good luck!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I merged two threads and cleaned things up a little bit for easier readability. Carry on!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Millich

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the responses and encouragement! I tried to close one of the threads actually but it seems you can't self-delete.

Last edited: