Need a book recommendation!!

Sublime

LP, RN
Hey so I just finished the 6th book in the "Game of Thrones" series. These books have consumed my non-school / work related reading for the past two years. Now that I'm finished (till the 7th comes out) I'd like to read something non-fiction.

No medical textbooks I'm getting guytons phys. for Xmas, but I want a book to read for fun. I like books about science, history, sociology/anthropology , good true stories ect. Just want to read something enjoyable and learn something at the same time.

Appreciate the suggestions!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Have you read Kelly Grayson's book? Enroute? I read it in one day.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Have you read Kelly Grayson's book? Enroute? I read it in one day.

Great book but I did the same, read it from cover to cover in one shift being the standby car at the ski resort. Too short, or maybe it was just that good? Who knows :p

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
The House of God is pretty enjoyable!

intellectualfish

Forum Crew Member
From an EMT who currently moonlights as a bookseller while finishing medic school...

Some great books I have read recently:

"The Last American Man" by Elizabeth Gilbert (2002)
A fascinating biography about Eustace Conway--the ultimate outdoorsman. Discusses the positives and negatives of every red-blooded American man's dream of "returning to nature." I read it cover-to-cover in about a day.

"The Heart and the Fist" by Eric Greitens (2011)
A most-excellent autobiography of a Rhodes-Scholar-turned-Navy-Seal. Talks about his adventures working in humanitarian aid to his rigorous Seal training and missions. A good mix of fast-paced action, humor, and thoughtful reflection.

"Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work" by Matthew Crawford (2009)
A look at the joys of working with your hands in a world where book smarts often are valued more than practical knowledge and hard (often physical) work. Introspective and filled with entertaining and interesting anecdotes about the author's journey from think-tank hot shot to motorcycle mechanic.

I hope these give you some ideas. Let me know if you would like more/different suggestions!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Have you read firetender's books?

Chuck Klosterman or Hunter S. Thompson.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
How about Robert Henlein? Moon is a Harsh Mistress? Starship Troopers?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I also like reading old Louis L'amore. Kinda light, but fun.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

Anjel

Forum Angel

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
How about Robert Henlein? Moon is a Harsh Mistress? Starship Troopers?

+1 million.

If you like Heinlein, you might like Spider Robinson. Pun filled sci fi. The Callahan stories are great.

OP
OP
Sublime

Sublime

LP, RN
Thanks for the help.

I now have a small reading list that should keep me busy for a while. I'll have to bookmark Enroute, House of God, Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work, and a couple others mentioned.

Also a book I found I plan on adding to the list is "A Short History of Nearly Everything". It's a science / history type of book but looks really interesting, in case others might be interested.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I also like reading old Louis L'amore. Kinda light, but fun.

Agreed! How could I have forgotten. Definitely easy reads but great books.

I used to read a lot of Tom Clancy. Lately books haven't been able to hold my attention but he has some good ones.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
+1 to House of God

Backblast

Forum Crew Member
My most recent reads have been Killing Lincoln and No Easy Day. Both are excellent books. Next up is Killing Kennedy.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I just finish reading Linux Network Administrator's Guide and NMAP, and have now started Wireshark Network Analysis.

Yep...I'm a geek.

SSwain

Forum Captain
Damned double tap....

Last edited by a moderator:

SSwain

Forum Captain
Author Gary Paulsen

Books
In this order....
Hatchet
Brian's Winter