National EMS Preparedness Initiative: Zero Hour game

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone heard of George Washington University's NEMSPI project, and the game they have developed - Zero Hour?

Zero Hour: America's Medic

NEMSPI is using Game-Based Learning (also called "Zero Hour") to give responders the opportunity to construct and implement complex strategies within a safe, virtual environment in order to train and exercise for the multifaceted situations encountered in real life. Zero Hour is recognized as a valuable tool in training and exercising personnel in high-risk, "high-stakes" professions because they provide an opportunity to practice and refine essential skills without the life-threatening consequences encountered in the field....

EMS providers playing the game will be tasked with completing a wide variety of missions based on the National Planning Scenarios and designed to push players' skills to the limit. Both new and experienced EMS providers are likely to find the missions extremely challenging because their complexity mirrors that which is seen in real disasters and large-scale events.

Players must deal with chaos, panic, large volumes of patients, and needs that far exceed available resources. Each time EMS providers play the game, they'll have different resources to work with, different scene hazards to deal with, different patients to treat, and different resources they can call upon. As EMS providers know all too well, there are no "winners" in a disaster - all you can do is the best you can do with the resources that you have.

Due for release this month.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
That sounds sweet. I'll try to remember to keep up on this, managing MCI's is really breezed over in school due to how rare they are but the magnitude of responsibility when they do occur warrants a little more training.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow. Looks pretty cool! I love first person games.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, that looks awesome, I wanna play!

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it!

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
Never heard of it before but that looks great. Hope it's a decent simulation.

I'll buy that as soon as it's released.

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
That sounds awsome will someone send out a reminder when it is released and where it can be purchased. Thanks

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
It will be available for purchase online only, I believe. I'll keep checking on it and post here again once it's available.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I am downloading it right now. As far as I know, it has been fully released. And for some reason, so far they haven't charged me. I would be happy to pay the fee, though.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Looks awesome, if it's not too expensive I will definitely buy it and use it.

Where are you downloading it from? Their website says it's not yet available?

Aidey

Strange, when you follow the link in the OP it says the game isn't available yet.

Aidey

Yeah, I am to, so obviously it is. The main website just says it isn't.

Aidey

Thus far I've noticed a few problems with the pre test such as the letters for the questions don't correlate to the questions in the explanation. I picked D for one question, and it told me I was wrong, and the answer was B because the patient started breathing after their airway was opened. However, Patient B was AOx4, and breathing 20 times a min, so the test was a lil confused I think.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Gah, this really irks me.

I cant log in to the user account, so I have to go in as guest. But thing is, if you go in as guest, it doesn't save your progress.

I played for a long time and now it's all lost!

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Thus far I've noticed a few problems with the pre test such as the letters for the questions don't correlate to the questions in the explanation. I picked D for one question, and it told me I was wrong, and the answer was B because the patient started breathing after their airway was opened. However, Patient B was AOx4, and breathing 20 times a min, so the test was a lil confused I think.

We'll probably see updates and fixes 'n such come out as time goes on.

Right now though, I'm going to go find a download!

btw, anyone know a coupon code?

Last edited by a moderator: