N95 mask for school

ollie

Forum Crew Member
hi everyone im in emt school right now and was wondering my professor asked us to buy the n95 mask but im not sure if its the small white ones that docs use or the hepa mask the big ones could someone help me please :)

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
what you see the docs wear may be surgical masks and look similiar to HEPA or N-95 masks. HEPA(high efficiency particulate air respirator) and N-95 repsirators function basically the same. When you purcahase, on th packaging it will tell you if it is a surgical mask or HEPA

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
N95. They're both n95... I'd buy the cheap one for school..... Why do you even need one for school?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Strange... because I'm willing to bet that the hospitals and ambulances have N-95 masks on board.

OP
OP
O

ollie

Forum Crew Member
oh and he said we need them for practicals in class, thanks everybody u guys are cool yay happy to have met u all now im off to work have a great day everyone and thanks again :)

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
oh and he said we need them for practicals in class, thanks everybody u guys are cool yay happy to have met u all now im off to work have a great day everyone and thanks again :)

i have no idea why you would need them for in class practicals. or in the clinical setting really

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
i have no idea why you would need them for in class practicals. or in the clinical setting really

That is a shame, you do not why you would need them in a clinical setting (TB, even H1N1,etc). Practical for class is asinine and wasteful (instructor is foolish).

Truthfully, a student should NOT have to purchase these items.

OSHA and other similar agencies require EMS, hospitals, etc to provide employees (students would be included as staff members) with PPE. Such items as gowns, gloves, different types of masks.

Most are disposable and as well, one should be "fit tested" to ensure proper size. As well, facial hair has to be groomed or specialized "hood" type mask must be worn if a beard is in place.

R/r 911

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
That is a shame, you do not why you would need them in a clinical setting (TB, even H1N1,etc). Practical for class is asinine and wasteful (instructor is foolish).

Truthfully, a student should NOT have to purchase these items.

OSHA and other similar agencies require EMS, hospitals, etc to provide employees (students would be included as staff members) with PPE. Such items as gowns, gloves, different types of masks.

Most are disposable and as well, one should be "fit tested" to ensure proper size. As well, facial hair has to be groomed or specialized "hood" type mask must be worn if a beard is in place.

R/r 911

uhh, i guess i need to properly phrase my responses. i understand why the use would be neccesary in the clinical setting, i was saying i dont know why the student would need to purchase them, as they have been supplied in every clinical I or others i know have attended

Last edited by a moderator:

arsenicbassist

Forum Crew Member
Sounds to me like the program needs to ante up for them. That's the major problem these days, proper health care and prevention is based on cost....instead of need.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
Agree with that, the program needs to pony up for both the fitting as well as the equiptment.

We just got fit tested last week.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
yeah RID already learned me real good on that. Consider this me edit:
i have no idea why you would needTO BUY them for in class practicals. or in the clinical setting really

We fit test all students with a proper mask in each semester. Not sure why one would be wasted in class but for clinicals, the fit test is just part of preparing students to manage their safety.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
We fit test all students with a proper mask in each semester. Not sure why one would be wasted in class but for clinicals, the fit test is just part of preparing students to manage their safety.

yup. and sorry rescue, if my reply seemed a little curt, that was not my intention. just cant seem to win today:p

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll be with lifeguard on this one. No idea why you would need to purchase ONE mask for clinicals and school. More than likely on clinicals they will be supplied (N95 masks are required in my state for standard equipment).

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll be with lifeguard on this one. No idea why you would need to purchase ONE mask for clinicals and school. More than likely on clinicals they will be supplied (N95 masks are required in my state for standard equipment).

When we fit test, the student gets that mask to keep. Makes little sense to fit one then toss it in the trash. I provide a zip-lock bag and advise students to put it in their back pack when they head to clinicals and rides.

FYI: Masks are available for purchase in places such Home Depot..LOL! Medical supply stores and probably most drug stores would also have them. Ambulances and care facilities, ER's and such, all have masks availabe whenever the need arises. No one should ever find themselves on a ride or clinical without access to PPE.