My Situation

Twix623

Forum Crew Member
So after a lot of debating and talks with my parents, I've decided that I wanted to be a EMT-B. As I'm not the greatest in school, I see the EMS/FF field so right for me, I've always wanted to do it as a kid. I've never been really good academically, but for this, I will try my hardest.

So my options are:
A.) Attend my local Community College (Montgomery College - which I already attend, taking general studies courses.) The EMT program there is county backed, and its off campus. I would train at the Montgomery County Fire Academy. The price tag is $980 in tuition. Training would be from September 3rd - December 17th.

B.) Apply at my local Volunteer Fire station (The Burtonsville Volunteer Fire Department) Which of course, training is provided free, but may take more time in months. And, the training is at the same place stated above.

So I'm kind of at this fork in the road of which option to go with.

But for now, I'm just starting to get in shape, cardio, lifting weights, etc.
Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm nervous about undertaking this job, but I think I could get used to it. I put a lot of thought in choosing my decision to go through with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Since you admitted your not the best academically, I would discuss this with a counselor. The college can assist you in courses and classes that can aid you and improve your general knowledge.

Although, the basic are routinely the same no matter where you attend, it is the foundation you will build upon. So I would research upon how well either is taught, also this will give you an impression if you want to pursue EMS further. Even though you presume that you will like this profession, majority find out even after they finish EMT course, that it is not for them. Just look at the number that posts here after becoming an EMT, never to re-appear.

R/r 911

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
So after a lot of debating and talks with my parents, I've decided that I wanted to be a EMT-B. As I'm not the greatest in school, I see the EMS/FF field so right for me, I've always wanted to do it as a kid. I've never been really good academically, but for this, I will try my hardest.

So my options are:
A.) Attend my local Community College (Montgomery College - which I already attend, taking general studies courses.) The EMT program there is county backed, and its off campus. I would train at the Montgomery County Fire Academy. The price tag is $980 in tuition. Training would be from September 3rd - December 17th.

B.) Apply at my local Volunteer Fire station (The Burtonsville Volunteer Fire Department) Which of course, training is provided free, but may take more time in months. And, the training is at the same place stated above.

So I'm kind of at this fork in the road of which option to go with.

But for now, I'm just starting to get in shape, cardio, lifting weights, etc.
Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm nervous about undertaking this job, but I think I could get used to it. I put a lot of thought in choosing my decision to go through with it.

I'm going to add to what Rid stated. What I am about to say just might piss a lot of people off. It's liable to hurt your feelings. If you don't think you will like what I have to say, then you might want to skip this post.

I am not sure I like your second sentence for a number of reasons.

1. You say you're not good academically so you're going to go into EMS. That denotes a negative connotation. One I would probably want to rephrase.

2. ANY health care profession is not for the feable minded. Not only do you have to learn, but you must also continually learn for the rest of your career. If you don't like school, health care is not the place for you.

3. Saying you are going to take the easy way to a career because you are not good in school is not the way I would go. I am speaking from experience here.

I entered college on academic probation. I probably came a hair's width from being placed in special education during high school many times merely because I just wasn't focused. Then I dropped out of college, found Respiratory and EMS, got focused (actually heard the "click" in my head my dad was telling me about), and now I am not only flying, but I am also one of only about 1000 certified flight paramedics world wide.

Even being clinically diagnosed with a learning dissability is no excuse. I also know of a ground paramedic who is a d*mn good medic. His name is Todd. His nickname is D Dot because he is dyslexic. He also knows his stuff, and I trust him with any member of my family without question. He and I are living proof that it "ain't the dawg in the fight, but the fight in the dawg" that makes a difference. How bad do you want it?

If you choose to enter into this profession, there is a good chance you will be so enthrawled with it that you will want to learn everything you can and not be satisfied with the status quo; that good enough isn't good enough. I sincerely hope you get a chance to experience what it's like to be an integral part in saving peoples lives. It is an awesome responsibility and a blessing that knows no equal.

Welcome to the field. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I would definitely talk to your college counselor about some remedial programs before entering into the study of your future field. There are programs that can help you learn study habits, basic math, science, english etc. If you can't focus on those and learn those skills with the long term goal of entering EMS then how badly do you want the career.

Learning to work towards a long term goal, over the hurdles and struggles of the immediate process is a life lesson. I'd take a year or two of classes to work on that. At your age, there is nothing immediate about your situation. If after getting an AA or at least learning some basic academic skills, you will go into EMS, it will be with some preparation that will take you as far as you wish to go.

OP
OP
Twix623

Twix623

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for everyone's feedback. As for the second sentence about me not being academic; let me rephrase it. I noticed it kind of made me sound like I'm retarded or I'm a special case or something, but I'm not. What I meant was that I really didn't push myself in school like I should have. I have always been in high level classes and took both honors and AP College credit courses in high school, none of that was ever the problem. I always had decent grades as well. I've never been on any probation, and my college counselor thinks its a good idea as well.

I have the smarts and wit to do it, I just want to restate that I just did not push myself to the full potential to what my parents would have wanted me to be or what I wanted to be myself. Currently, I have been fulfilling general studies, Math, English, Biology and etc. Most likely in the end, begin preparing for nursing.

I'm looking into the EMT field because its exciting, I've always wanted to do it since I was a kid. Being EMT for now, would be my priority. Then I'm planning for a few years down the road, ultimately getting into the nursing field. I plan on taking the EMT-B course at night, and take my Nursing classes in the morning. I'm already pretty close in getting into the nursing program in my area. THere are just a few options I have in mind for me at the moment.

But again, thank you all for the feedback.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Good, because it sounded like you were selling yourself short, and that just "irks" me to no end.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
You're welcome. Anything to help.

OP
OP
Twix623

Twix623

Forum Crew Member
If anyone else have any other advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

OP
OP
Twix623

Twix623

Forum Crew Member
Fnish Community College, get some sort of diploma, THEN go into EMS.

I've explained my option already. I want to do this while I'm studying nursing in school. I would just be volunteering with a department for awhile till I continue training and continue nurse classes.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
So do you want to be in nursing or Fire/EMS? Speaking from experience, it's not the easiest thing to do a job of any type while attending nursing school. You mentioned you weren't great with academics. I wasn't either in high school, but everything just kinda clicked in college and now I have all A's so far.

All I'm saying is to just reconsider what it is you really want to do. I think the best place for a nursing student to work is in the ER as a tech. You get the same thrill as EMS (well, sometimes) but you get the hospital experience you need for nursing school. Plus there are tons of nurses you can ask questions and advice. Beware though - many places will take an EMT for that, but often times they want experience - thus my dilemma.

PM me if you have any more ?'s

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Be aware that volunteering may mean that you are on an MVA fatality all night and then have to take an A&P final at 8am the next morning.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If you want to go into nursing, then be a nurse tech by-pass EMS altogether. EMS and nursing are two separate professions, similar to EMT and a radiology tech have in common. Yes, they provide patient care and in certain areas similar goals, but that is where it ends.

As one enters the nursing profession, you can immediately tell there is a difference in the education methods, roles, goals, etc. In fact being an EMT can be just as harmful as helpful. There is a lot of prejudice against EMT's some valid and some not.

My suggestion is if one wants to pursue nursing, then they should do just that. Don't waste time in EMS, or being an EMT. Place your emphasis upon the nursing areas such as medical surgical, psychiatric, pediatric, obstetric, etc. The areas, that is required to be taught in nursing school. Critical and emergency care is NOT part of the curriculum for nursing degree. It is considered an specialty and one obtains AFTER graduation. Again, much different than EMS curriculum's.

When applying for a job in nursing it is much favorable to have hospital experience in and as nursing than in EMS. Vice versa if it was a field position for an EMT. My suggestion is to seek and start working toward your long term goals...now. Don't waste time upon areas that will not be beneficial.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
hmmm waste time?

At a young age, anything which helps a student determine a career path can hardly be considered a 'waste'. So she gets her EMT and then decides that nursing is more her cup of tea, or, after working as an EMT decides that pursuing an RN with a goal towards ER nursing. Or, god forbid, decides to remain an EMT as a volunteer while working for the local mini mart.

Some people pursue a linear path to a specific goal, others prefer a more meandering journey.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One of the major factors on why this profession is still considered a trade not a "real" profession is that it is used too many times as a stepping stone. Compare any other health profession on how many leave to go to another medical career, even in firefighting & other public service professions.

When and it is coming, this job decides to be a real profession and not be used as a stepping stone, then we will see benefits, pay, etc. to those to choose to enter it. Until then, we will still be considered a trade.

As one that has been a Director of Nursing, and ER Manager, I can assure you when looking at applicants, EMT vs. Nurse Tech I will prefer the nurse tech for experience for in-hospital positions. EMT curriculum NEVER was designed for in-hospital profession, nor was it ever designed for adjunct to nursing profession. Again, it would be similar comparing an Respiratory Therapist to X-ray tech. Unless, you understand the methodologies of the instruction, core curriculum, and job performances, you do not see the whole picture.

R/r 911

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
If anyone else have any other advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

i think you're going to be just fine......when you're passionate about something it makes it easier to WANT to learn you know?? take you emt class and you'll be fine since it's something you're interested in........and keep pursing more school and if you want to get into nursing this is your foot step in the door.......GOOD LUCK and stay passionate about it :D

ps. i'm pursuing my b.s in nursing too and i'm starting out as an emt because i want to know all aspects of the ems industry, i'll probably go to paramedic school too, but i'm just ambitious like that.....don't let anyone discourage you

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Wow! All this advice from people that have never been there...

R/r 911

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
Rid,

come on, take it easy....seems like twix is still young, let him get his feet wet :) there are a lot of jobs out there that are 'stepping stones' so people can figure out where they will go from there.....personally i'm starting out as an emt to see how much i want to pursue paramedic school and i want to be well rounded in emergency medicine, even though my major is nursing, i don't want to start out as an er tech (right now).....what's wrong with that?