My introduction

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
I am a combat vet that lives in Central Iowa (Des Moines). I was not a medic in the Army, I was a combat engineer (I made things go boom). I was medically discharged for something that will not effect my ability to be an EMT. I am currently going thru the VA to start school for EMT-B. I am hoping to get them to pay for school all the way to EMT-P or CCP.

My decision to become an EMT was based on being a combat life saver. That, and watching two nurses in my legion post jump into action when one of our members had a heart attack. He didn't arrest but, watching them do what they do was awesome.

I am hoping to get on with our local VFD this summer and into a regular EMT position after I get certified as an EMT-B.

One thing I am worried about is, the course is only 6 credit hours and I want to go to school full time. Are there any additional classes you would recommend? If I can get employed as an EMT-B, 6 credits (1/2 time) will be fine for getting my additional certifications.

Thanks in advance for the welcomes.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
6 hours for EMT-B?

:wacko:

Aside from that, welcome to the community!

Gold777

Forum Ride Along
I was wondering the same thing i thought it took a year
But yes welcome to the community

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
I was wondering the same thing i thought it took a year
But yes welcome to the community

A year for EMT-B? Maybe if youre going 1 day a week. Its usually 3-4 months long. Paramedic is usually about a year long.

And in order to be NREMT certified I believe the course has to be atleast 120 hours long. It may well be 6 credits but it is not a 6 hour course. Hell our CPR class was longer than 6 hours lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
A year for EMT-B? Maybe if youre going 1 day a week. Its usually 3-4 months long. Paramedic is usually about a year long.

And in order to be NREMT certified I believe the course has to be atleast 120 hours long. It may well be 6 credits but it is not a 6 hour course. Hell our CPR class was longer than 6 hours lol.

yeah... ours (SBCC) was a 4-6 mo course... but it was a 5 hour lecture and 3 hour lab. the credits/hours gained is i thing 3-6. plus 10 hours of internship work (which I think needs to be higher).

judoka5446

Forum Crew Member
As for additional classes to take. A college level A&P class is recommended for most paramedic programs. As well as chemistry,medical terminology, and college level algebra.

OP
OP
ihalterman

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
It's 6 hours of class per week for 3 months. Plus your clinic time and ambulance time. At least that is how I read the schedule. I will find out more when I go for orientation.