My Daughter just got on the national registry.

Justin M

Forum Ride Along
My daughter just got on the national registry, and she is now a certified EMT. It is her first job after college and she is going to be taking more classes to become a paramedic, in the meantime she is getting a job as an EMT.

She absolutely loves that she is going to be an EMT and it is all she talks about. I wanted to get her a gift, I was thinking I could get her an EMT bag loaded with tons of first aid gear and supplies. But since she is now a professional, I don't just want to goto Sam's club and get cheap stuff. So I figured that you guys here would be able to direct me to where I can get and bag loaded with supplies that is good enough for a professional.

I thank you all in advance for helping me get a great gift for my awesome daughter.

Justin

To be honest with you, I think getting your daughter a good quality stethoscope would be a better gift than an EMT bag.

OP
OP
J

Justin M

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for your reply. I got her a top of the line stethoscope when she started the EMT class. And it was easy enough to find and buy. And I get her stuff all the time, I love that I spoil her. But this gift, I check Amazon and it's just so hard to tell if it's good or if it's just crap. Also there are survivalist sites and I just don't think it's the right kinda thing. I just figured you guys would know a site or something.

Thanks again!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
@Justin M Having a fully stocked personal medic bag for a new EMT or Medic can give the impression of being a Ricky Rescue, someone who is "looking to save the world". There are many more practical items that in the long run will serve her better.

Stethoscopes, boots, a good quality but small flashlight, a decent bag to pack her personal stuff on a shift (laptop, tablet, chargers, books, etc.), a high quality tumbler/drink holder, a fun lunchbox, a good protective case for her phone, and gift cards.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
First aid bag isn't really needed. If she is at work she will have one and if not she has a cell phone. A good backpack, mug, stethoscope, boots, socks are probably the big things I want. Books, something to watch movies, and things like that are also nice. Gift cards would be a great thing to have as well.

OP
OP
J

Justin M

Forum Ride Along
Everyone, thank you. Seems like good solid advise. I like to buy her things that will stand the test of time. As far as work shoes, boots, etc.. she has her footwear more than covered. Gift cards are too impersonal.

So I will buy her a solid backpack and pack it with:
a Hydro Flask
a Rugged phone case (with the built-in extended battery)
a flash-light. Any suggestions for what kind? you said small, but I don't really know. Is there a specific type that is good for the work?
(edit: added this) A travel Pillow (Thanks NomadicMedic)

And anymore suggestions you guys have, so far you have all been great, and I want this to be the coolest backpack ever for a new EMT!

I am going to get her on this site, too!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Everyone, thank you. Seems like good solid advise. I like to buy her things that will stand the test of time. As far as work shoes, boots, etc.. she has her footwear more than covered. Gift cards are too impersonal.

So I will buy her a solid backpack and pack it with:
a Hydro Flask
a Rugged phone case (with the built-in extended battery)
a flash-light. Any suggestions for what kind? you said small, but I don't really know. Is there a specific type that is good for the work?
(edit: added this) A travel Pillow (Thanks NomadicMedic)

And anymore suggestions you guys have, so far you have all been great, and I want this to be the coolest backpack ever for a new EMT!

I am going to get her on this site, too!

As far as backpacks go, we just had a long discussion about these in a different group and the general consensus was the LAPG 24 hour pack. (http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-bg-24h-pack-atlas.html) very similar to the 5.11 pack at less than 1/2 the price. I love mine. I know @TransportJockey has one too.

OP
OP
J

Justin M

Forum Ride Along
LAPG 24 hour pack. Check. Thanks again.

I am still adding items (Maybe 1 or 2 more things), so any and all suggestions will be considered.

THANKS!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
LAPG 24 hour pack. Check. Thanks again.

I am still adding items (Maybe 1 or 2 more things), so any and all suggestions will be considered.

THANKS!
fenix or surefire flashlights are the best IMO. (I use them for the SORT/SWAT team all the time)

fenix or surefire flashlights are the best IMO. (I use them for the SORT/SWAT team all the time)

+1 for Fenix, and Surefire, but I'd also recommend Streamlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
+1 for Fenix, and Surefire, but I'd also recommend Streamlight.

My stream light broke and they didn't replace it :(

OP
OP
J

Justin M

Forum Ride Along
Thanks again guys/gals.

The flashlight I ordered is "Surefire P3X Fury with Intellibeam Technology", I hope that is not the wrong one.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
It's a flashlight. There really isn't a "wrong one", unless it doesn't produce light.

I feel the need to warn you about a potential complication of your generosity. First day EMT's who show up with every gadget and doodad under the sun tend to catch flak from their more experienced co workers for being all hat and no cattle. I would recommend that you don't take it personally or as a sign of being unappreciated if you find out in a week or a month that a lot of the stuff you bought her is in her closet. Don't get me wrong, it will all get used eventually, but she might get razzed a bit if she shows up with an excessive amount of kit on her first day.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I loved my fenix flashlight..... but I've lost more flashlights over the years than I care to admit.

I used to be a huge maglite fan, but I have since switched over to the Defiant brand flashlights, purchased from home depot, and own two of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-350-Lumen-LED-Flashlight-HD-1570/206525463

One stays in my car next to the driver's seat, and the other one sits in my EMS bag.

They might not help with a patient assessment, but they will light up whatever you want to see.

I would suggest letting her get the job first, and then ask her what she thinks she needs after she has been there for a few months. that would be better than getting her stuff she doesn't need.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a nice jump kit that I use when I work with the Boy Scouts, probably only pulled it out of truck other times maybe twice. (in 20+ years); I keep in in my truck because it fits nice under the back seat. Easier than getting it out of storage everytime

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
A nice, small, insulated lunch tote, and/or a small thermos. I have a small personal-sized thermos and it's the greatest for taking hot food to work. My lunch tote & thermos are small enough to fit in my backpack, so it doesn't create more 'stuff' to haul around but I like being able to take my own food to work so I'm not subject to finding something to eat. Finding time to eat is hard enough, having to find the food too can be hard! :)

edit: personAL size thermos, not person-sized. That would be entirely too big.. Also insulAted not insulted. No need to call the lunch tote names. I hate spelling auto-correct sometimes.

OP
OP
J

Justin M

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all of your various advise. I will pass it along to her, and she can bring in things she needs over time or as she needs them. But that's no reason to not get her stuff now. She will enjoy getting it and if she needs to sit on it for awhile, she will be ok. She is just so excited about it, I want to get her some stuff. I am sure ti will be ok. @hometownmedic5: And i would never be upset, I mean over her lifetime I am sure I have bought her plenty of stuff that never left her closet.