My brother is getting made fun of at the EMS company I work for

Josh4010

Forum Probie
Hi, I am having some issues with some of my co workers. Here is some background information on myself and my brother. I work for a private EMS company, we mainly do 911 in multiple counties that are rather large. I am a medic, and I have been in EMS 5 years. All the new EMT’s start out doing BLS until they eventually are evaluated and comfortable on a ALS truck. My younger brother got his EMT basic about a year ago. Just like me, my brother is a very humble, non confrontational type of person. He also suffers from ADHD. He is on medication, but sometimes he just doesn’t pay attention. For instance if he is with a group of co workers sometimes he will ask the same questions that someone else just asked. I heard from other co workers that sometimes he will take longer routes, he has to be told more things more than one time, and that he just does not pay attention. I understand all these issues can be critical in EMS. So I talked to him to see which issues he was having and I tried to help him. I heard a lot of things about him from my co workers when he was new. But recently I heard from one of my co workers that he is doing better and starting to get the hang of things. But recently my partner called out and I worked with this girl who knows my brother and she said somebody said that my brother “wasn’t just slow, but tax write off slow”. I dug a little further and heard people call him, “retarded” “special needs kid” and so on. He came to me recently and said his partner told him that “you know that no paramedics here like working with you right”? He seemed very depressed. I know that he has problems with his ADHD and EMS is not the place for that. I understand that. So they placed him back in BLS primarilary and he only does ALS every now an then. I understand where other medics are coming from and not wanting to work with him. But it makes me angry that people are making fun of him calling him all of these names and that it’s getting around the whole company that he’s “retarded” etc. I feel really bad for him and I don’t know what to do.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
It would be helpful to know if your brother experienced similar situations before this, at what ages, and what the outcomes were. All that aside, I don't think there's a quick fix for what you're describing. Maybe your brother would do better in another job, or maybe he and his coworkers just need more time to adjust. It's certainly not unusual for new employees to go through some awkwardness as everyone gets to know each other.

If it were my brother, I think I'd ask myself, "Can he get through this by just being himself, without any lasting harm to his self-esteem or reputation?" Perhaps you can offer him some suggestions about that.

OP
OP
J

Josh4010

Forum Probie
It would be helpful to know if your brother experienced similar situations before this, at what ages, and what the outcomes were. All that aside, I don't think there's a quick fix for what you're describing. Maybe your brother would do better in another job, or maybe he and his coworkers just need more time to adjust. It's certainly not unusual for new employees to go through some awkwardness as everyone gets to know each other.

If it were my brother, I think I'd ask myself, "Can he get through this by just being himself, without any lasting harm to his self-esteem or reputation?" Perhaps you can offer him some suggestions about that.
He has experienced similar situations. He is 26 right now and has pretty much experienced this all his life.He used to work Papa John’s as a delivery driver. He ended up getting fired because was taking to long on deliveries and just couldn’t get the hang of it. I also think he would be better a different job. But have no clue what he would do? He went through the EMT program twice and worked so hard for his license and loves EMS, I knew it would just destroy him and his self esteem if he was not able to do EMS. I don’t know what to tell him.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
He has experienced similar situations. He is 26 right now and has pretty much experienced this all his life.He used to work Papa John’s as a delivery driver. He ended up getting fired because was taking to long on deliveries and just couldn’t get the hang of it. I also think he would be better a different job. But have no clue what he would do? He went through the EMT program twice and worked so hard for his license and loves EMS, I knew it would just destroy him and his self esteem if he was not able to do EMS. I don’t know what to tell him.

Why did he become an EMT?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
From what you are saying he never should have become an EMT. One of the primary jobs is driving the ambulance and being unable to consistently take the shorter routes isn't good. If he was taking too long to deliver a pizza that should have been a huge indication that he needs to work more on his route planning abilities and possibly accept that any job requiring driving may not be appropriate for him.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
So ADHD is fairly common in EMS. I live with it, I can name half a dozen coworkers who do as well. But like any medical condition, if it's affecting your daily life you need to speak with your doctor. While I was younger and in school, I needed to take Dexedrine in order to focus. Age and practice with focusing techniques (and the ability to recognize when your focus is free-wheeling) has allowed me to function off medication. This may not be possible for everyone. The proper dose of meds used to treat ADHD should have a huge effect on his day to day ability to function and focus. However, it sounds like there may be more at play than simple ADHD as well.

It's affecting his life and work, so he needs to see a professional about it. I had to try 3 different ADHD meds before finding one that worked, so it may take time to find the right stuff.

Squirrel!

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm sorry to hear that you and your brother are going through this - I feel like I was a misfit and not all that well-liked at my job too, so this hits home a bit.

It sounds like your company does mainly 911 with Paramedic+Basic staffing... It's a lot to ask of ANY new/inexperienced EMT-B to jump into a job like that, nevermind someone who might need a bit more time to learn the ropes. Maybe he would be better off at a company that focuses more on straight-up BLS IFT?