MVC Medic program process

ScouterMedic

Forum Ride Along
I have read all the old posts about Moreno Valley College Paramedic program, so I'm looking to see if anyone has any updates? Specifically, how does the selection process go? Almost every other nearby program has the selection process outlined on the website, but MVC has very outdated info on theirs. I was first licensed as an EMT-B (yeah, i'm old) back in 2001 and I have a letter from my original employer from back in 2004 when I first was going to go to school. Things didn't work out, and I went into management.... fast forward to last June when I got a while hair to register for class and missed the deadline by 4 days.... Anyways, I have all of the prep courses completed with straight A's and all of the other program requirements, so acceptance I can not believe would be a problem... But, as has already been pointed out, I'm old and now very concerned that I might not make it... So, Anyone have ANY insight?

OP
OP
S

ScouterMedic

Forum Ride Along
Let's start with the selection process... All the other courses in the area have listed how they select the candidates.... MVC does not.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
So I had taken the prep courses at Saddleback, which was ACLS, a basic ECG class, A+P for EMS and a medic prep, which was pretty much the 1st semester of medic school. That helped me a ton. The selection process consisted of a week of class, refreshers on all your EMT stuff, then you took the RCC EMT written final(300 questions), followed by skills testing. You then came back in the morning for your results. Keep in mind I was in Class 9. They are now on class 22. I also had to retake A+P with a lab since RCC didnt accept the BS Saddleback one for medics. Your age shouldnt be an issue I had an intern from there who was 45. Plenty of older guys have gone through it. I would get an updated letter with your experience.

OP
OP
S

ScouterMedic

Forum Ride Along
An updated letter will be an issue... I missed the deadline for last year, so I took this year to do all of the AS degree work. I was looking at taking the EKG, ACLS, and PALS classes before the June deadline. My cert is up for renewal in April, so I had just started on the online CEs from Recert and was looking at FOAMFrat for the live classes. I'm guessing that I can wait on that if we do that during the orientation.. So a little more history, I was recently reinstated after a 12 year lapse. I went to work for a private FD and did not need to keep my EMT. I let it go, and now no longer work for them... The rules changed and I was able to get reinstated without retaking the class. Passed the NREMT in 70 questions in 32 minutes. I do not think that I will have a problem taking the EMT Final. If that is still the format, then I will be ready. My current position is at a non-emergency company in Management, so I HIGHLY doubt that they would accept a letter from here. I have applied to work for an ER as I can't exactly work for a competitor... I really appreciate your feedback.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
You have to have 1000 hours 500 of which must be prehospital. It doesnt say 911 so if you work for an IFT company see if you can get some hours. The prep courses im talking about were at Saddleback College, for their medic program, I didnt end up going there. Dont worry about ACLS and PALS. The ECG course and A+P will be good.

OP
OP
S

ScouterMedic

Forum Ride Along
Great! I took the A&P class over summer and I am taking the med term class this semester at MVC and I have a class lined up for ECG out of the Desert. I should be well prepared.

OP
OP
S

ScouterMedic

Forum Ride Along
@jgmedic Your info is spot on!! I was able to submit my app today in person and had a great chat with Professor Fontaine. My app and letter was accepted and I'll be going to orientation. I picked up the Rapid Interpretation of EKGs book and am working my way through it. Fontaine suggested pharmacology as well so that will be next. I think that I have decided to go ahead and do a bunch of CEs just to have the info fresh in my head leading up to the orientation.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I'm biased but go to Crafton Hills College.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Crafton is solid too. I was a preceptor for MVC and NCTI, honestly, the school matters way less than the student.

I mostly agree with this statement. Curriculum and teaching wise yes I would agree. Application and how the school(s) conduct their business in regards with their students are vastly different.

I'm specifically looking at the community service hour requirement and the academy style program that is MVC. I do not think that you should require already taxed (mentally, physically, and financially) students to do extracurricular hours of community service. Also, its a paramedic program, not a fire academy. The 0700 class A uniform raising the flag is a little overkill for a medic program IMHO. Also to add I do not agree with the split internships. 20 on an ambulance and 20 on an engine. Changing a preceptor in the middle of their internship is a disservice to the student again IMHO.

Not saying that CHC was perfect. Substantially better vs other programs in the So CAL area in my eyes. But hey, to eat their own. Curriculum wise every program produces solid medics and crappy medics. Its up to the student.

OP
OP
S

ScouterMedic

Forum Ride Along
@jgmedic and @CALEMT I absolutely agree with both of you. The school only gives you the opportunity to succeed, it is up to the student to learn. My original letter was from 2003 when I first tried to go to school. I was young, only an EMT for a couple of years doing 90% IFT in LA. The Owners at the time were AWESOME! then they let their kid take over who sold it, then they sold it and not it is AMR... I acted like a kid who knew everything and in hindsight I didn't. Now I'm older, wiser, know that I do not know everything, and have been reinvigorated to get my Medic.

Sadly, I found my Dad in full arrest and started CPR. We worked him for an hour before calling it. He was in bed, lying down, warm to the touch with no lividly or pooling... After working him for an hour I picked up his phone to discover that he had passed an hour before I arrived. He was a Medic, and retired Calfire Southern Region Chief. I started down the fire path before I got out of High School but chose a different route than Calfire... My gamble didn't pay off and now, I'm returning to the original path that we had laid out. My goal is to learn all that I can to be the kind of Medic he was. I owe it to him, and my kids. MVC just happens to work out well for me and my family, I got Pell grants to cover the majority of the costs, and Cal grants for the cost of tuition... The Academy aspect would be good for me so I view that as a plus, and I am a Scout leader so volunteer hours are just my thing... I am a Servant Leader. A year ago when I woke up a decided to go to Medic School, I have been singularly focused on that. I have done all of the gen ED work to get the AS with the Medic Cert, reading every prep book and watching every prep video I can. Literally everything in my control I am doing to succeed.

I was able to submit my app two days ago and Professor Fontaine accepted it. I'm going to the orientation and prep course. I will be ready. Hopefully I can perform well enough to get into the program. I'm sure I will have some Ricky-rescues to compete against.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
The academy style is not as bad as it seems. Not even remotely close to a basic fire academy. Congrats @ScouterMedic , it depends on how many people are in your prep class. They have had years where they had more spots than applicants.