Mutual Aid Equipment Use Policy?

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
This probably hasn't come up very often or maybe not at all, but does anybody have any specific policy in regards to medics/emt's using another department's equipment during mutual aid?

For example, let's say you are on a call and all your ambulances are in use, so you call for mutual aid from another department. That ambulance shows up. Do you have any policies that cover you using their medical equipment/supplies or vice versa?

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
No, the company would typically cover their own costs for each call as part of the agreement. I haven't heard of something like this either.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
No, the company would typically cover their own costs for each call as part of the agreement. I haven't heard of something like this either.

Thanks for the reply. I think what I meant was: Is there any policy your department has that allows you or authorizes you to use another company's equipment during mutual aid? Let's say you have a critical patient and you have to ride in the back with the other ambulance, do you have a policy that allows you or dictates what equipment you can use of the other department's?

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
Yes. With fire departments I have worked with in the past as a dual response, usually it's like we use your epi or tube and replace it with ours.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
No. I haven’t heard of anyone having such a policy in my area. Really the only equipment that I will not use from another department or agency is their monitor if it’s a different brand simply because I don’t know how to use them and I much prefer my LP15.

OP
OP
B

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
No. I haven’t heard of anyone having such a policy in my area. Really the only equipment that I will not use from another department or agency is their monitor if it’s a different brand simply because I don’t know how to use them and I much prefer my LP15.
Thanks for the response. I figured that. The obvious part everyone should know is don't use something your not trained/certified in. Sounds like no service will really have a direct policy as it probably doesn't come up a lot

twistedMP

Forum Crew Member
Us and the local FD share equipment here. When we got our new power stretchers at the beginning of the year they received training on those so they could use our stretcher and help us load patients in the truck but other than that if we work an arrest or anything they just dig into our bag just like us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's not really an issue for us, although if I were going to run an ALS call on another department's ambulance, I would bring my own drug bag and monitor.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It's not really an issue for us, although if I were going to run an ALS call on another department's ambulance, I would bring my own drug bag and monitor.
In NJ (and TBH, in most of the tiered systems I have worked in), while BLS might be the transporting entity, if ALS is treating and transporting in their truck, they always bring their own drug bag (with IV setup equipment), monitor, and advanced airway kit (has the CPAP and some other stuff).

As a general rule, a collar is similar regardless of the brand. ditto a 4x4. It isn't really rocket science.

Do you have any policies that cover you using their medical equipment/supplies or vice versa?
What type of stuff are you talking about? if their ambulance shows up, shouldn't they be using their equipment? shouldn't they be trained in their equipment, and be able to use their equipment? If it's a sick patient, and you are going with the M/A ambulance I would imagine you would be using mostly your equipment, but if you need some of there, it's all within your scope of practice. and if you are unsure, you can just have them use their equipment.

I mean, if you intubated the patient, are you expecting the M/A crew to pull the tube, because "they weren't trained on that particular brand of equipment?"

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Here we just use whatevers in the ambulance. If I find myself in the back of a mutual aid ambulance (rare but it has happened), I'm just going to use their supplies.

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
Other towns often call us for mutual aid and then proceed to steal everything we have in the back on the ambulance. We're on our fifth stretcher.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Us and the local FD share equipment here. When we got our new power stretchers at the beginning of the year they received training on those so they could use our stretcher and help us load patients in the truck but other than that if we work an arrest or anything they just dig into our bag just like

In the past we've conducted a "touch the truck" just for agencies/departments. Ambulances gave tours, showed where the backboards/stair-chairs were, what each cabinet held, etc. Fire showed where the extra air bottles were, how to assist with changing bottles, etc.

Other towns often call us for mutual aid and then proceed to steal everything we have in the back on the ambulance. We're on our fifth stretcher.

How does one steal a stretcher?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
OP
OP
B

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
In NJ (and TBH, in most of the tiered systems I have worked in), while BLS might be the transporting entity, if ALS is treating and transporting in their truck, they always bring their own drug bag (with IV setup equipment), monitor, and advanced airway kit (has the CPAP and some other stuff).

As a general rule, a collar is similar regardless of the brand. ditto a 4x4. It isn't really rocket science.

What type of stuff are you talking about? if their ambulance shows up, shouldn't they be using their equipment? shouldn't they be trained in their equipment, and be able to use their equipment? If it's a sick patient, and you are going with the M/A ambulance I would imagine you would be using mostly your equipment, but if you need some of there, it's all within your scope of practice. and if you are unsure, you can just have them use their equipment.

I mean, if you intubated the patient, are you expecting the M/A crew to pull the tube, because "they weren't trained on that particular brand of equipment?"
Im not expecting them to pull out a tube or anything like that, no. I simply wanted to know if any agency has a policy that directly dictates that their crew can or cannot use another agency's supplies, as long as they are certified to. Obviously, your not going to use supplies/equipment you aren't certified to use.
On that same note, what is your agency's policy on a MD who has credentials using your equipment?