Moving to NYC as a Paramedic

RockPaperShank

Forum Ride Along
What is the process to get onto FDNY EMS as a paramedic?

If FDNY EMS only puts EMT’s through their academy how long does it take to get promoted from EMT to Paramedic after finishing their EMS academy?

Would it be better to work at one of the private or hospital services instead of FDNY?

I’m a paramedic in MA, I have 911 and transfer experience spread over the past 3+ years that I’ve been a paramedic.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
There is a really long nyfd ems thread with a lot of people in it that might be able to answer your question as I don't usually see them post anywhere else but there. So I don't think they even look at the rest of the forum.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Would it be better to work at one of the private or hospital services instead of FDNY?

Possibly.

Why limit yourself? There are several hospital-based systems that pay more and will let you do 911 (same protocols as FDNY), transport, and critical care.

Last edited:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If you cross the Hudson, you find yourself in NJ.... you'll get paid more, work fewer days per month, and have lower taxes. and only treat ALS patients.

unless your looking to become a firefighter, or already live in NYC, FDNY isn't a highly regarded EMS career.

And potato medic is right, if you want to know anything about FDNY EMS, check out https://emtlife.com/threads/fdny-ems-candidates.35404/