Motorcycle helmet removal questions

Dennhop

Forum Crew Member
So bored, sitting at home, and figured I'd ask and see what kind of responses those of you with far more experience than I have with motorcycle accidents.

I know what they taught us in EMT school, but I also realize that what they teach there and what happens in real life is often far different. That all being said, those of you who have had to remove a motorcycle helmet while maintaining Cspine, what tips or tricks do you have to offer? Being a motorcycle rider myself, I know how tight fitting some of the full-faced helmets can be ( I'm not really worried about the halfshells, 3/4 or the flip up face guards, just the one piece full-faced helmets. Haven't had one yet, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to pick the brains of you all who have had to remove one, before I ever run into that situation.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It is very hard to take a helmet off without placing any extra pressure on the cervical spine. The way that is taugh in most books that I have seen is to have the patient lay supine. Provider 1 will grab the helmet and pull the sides outward as much as possible and he is slowly sliding it up and off as provided 2 will be holding c-spine.

My unit carries the eject helmet removal system. So I just slide a plastic bag between the patients head and the top of the helmet and then fill it up with compressed air and the helmets simply pop off.

The majority of Shoei helmets have red tabs or a red strap on the bottom padding of the helmet that when pulled will release some of the padding on the bottom to make removal much easier. Here are some pictures I made for our race track team recently:
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

OP
OP
D

Dennhop

Forum Crew Member
Also, not sure why this ended up in the forum suggestion area...I think I meant to post this in the BLS section

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Like @DesertMedic66 said, most full face helmets have a way to remove the cheek pads while the helmet is on. Then have someone in front of the patient slide their hands into the helmet on the sides and hold c-spine while another grabs the helmet, pulls it away from their cheeks and up and off their head.

Or you can cheat and use the little helmet remover airbag doohickies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dennhop

Forum Crew Member
Good to know...I didnt realize the shoei had that, and I'd guess the others have something similar...I always used icon full faced, and tbh, I dont think I ever looked into that. I'll have to pay attention to that.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Good to know...I didnt realize the shoei had that, and I'd guess the others have something similar...I always used icon full faced, and tbh, I dont think I ever looked into that. I'll have to pay attention to that.
Icon have it. I know my arai and shoei both had ways to remove padding as well. So did my old HJC and KBC lids

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk