Motorcycle down on the Freeway

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So you're working a BLS ambulance (dual EMT.....though if you happen to work 1+1 Medic/Basic or dual Medic I wouldn't mind hearing how that changes from the dual EMT in the scenario!). It's evening rush hour in a big city. You get dispatched to a reported motorcyclist down on the Freeway (think Los Angeles area freeway, 4 lanes jammed with rush hour traffic all inpatient to get home). As you pull onto the freeway at the entrance before the reported location, just as you're in the gore point just before the onramp actually meets freeway lane you see the crash off to your left almost immediately perpendicular to you....and there's a small curb in the gore point (and the curb ends passed the crash location). The crash is in the far left lane, and from where you are at you can see one person is down on the pavement underneath a pickup truck. There's at least one Police car parked on scene but down stream of the accident....you do have ALS fire department responding on initial dispatch but a) they are nowhere in sight yet, and b) due to the unexpected location it's actually in another department's jurisdiction....and go!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Is the patient pinned underneath the truck? If so, wait for the FD to arrive and do their thing.

While I wait (P/B), my partner can set my stuff up in the back while I try and get a primary on the patient, make base, and tell them we'll be coming in with a (most likely) Step1 Trauma soon as fire frees them, and that I will recontact as needed, and/ or once en route.

FFWD to fire arriving, freeing said patient, do a rapid trauma, enlist proper airway management (BLS is fine for now), cut clothes, look for any major "kill zone" injuries, and/ or major bleeding, enlist SMR, load, and start transporting.

En route cardiac monitor/ SPO2 with waveform pleth, take a rider in back, reassess V/S and GCS q 5 minutes, grab a BGL. Time permitting, 2 large bores, one being a lock, if not both (if patient is normotensive), recontact base as promised and update findings, vióla.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
First thing for me is to get him out from under the truck. Is there clearance to where we can just carefully pull the truck back or are we going to need to jack it up? Is he responding or moving at all from under the truck?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
For me as a B/CC-P rig that i work on, i think it would go something like: after scene safety and all that EMT-B school stuff
If the patient is pinned wait for fire, I would get gear for the medic(while he is making primary contact with the patient(s), and contact base with the trauma code(xyz), assuming fire has come and freed said patient if need be, load and go, do any BLS airways/ bleeding control we needed then, we would then get the transport going, i would assist my medic partner with anything he may need while he is doing is assessment, then proceed to assist with interventions he started/asks me to start(vitals, bvm, ect). I would then update MC/base with what we have, the vitals, ETA, ect. and done :p

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
As for what I would do after he is out from under the vehicle is dependent on what is going on. All we know is he is under a truck. We don't know if the truck hit him or even ran him over.

It's LA so the freeways are packed which means the rider was probably not going over 40mph while splitting lanes.

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok so I guess my first question from y'all would be how would you go about securing scene safety on the freeway? You are in the merging lane on the far right and when you locate the collision it is nearly even with you on the far left with a curb in the gorepoint.....do you cut a hard left and hop the curb and park perpendicular to the scene (since you otherwise have no other room to maneuver) or try to pass it and loop around, or even get off at the next exit, hop back on the opposite way and loop around the far way....or another option?

Anyway, so you get over and start assessing your patient. You find an adult male laying supine almost completely underneath the pickup truck. His hips are pressed up against the driver side front tire with his legs sticking out and his head under the middle of the truck, kind of curled up against the tire (as opposed to laying flat and straight like in EMT class scenarios).

He is wearing a thick leather jacket and does have a helmet on, not a full face helmet though. It's dark and you can't see much of anything without the aid of a flashlight.

However, your patient is alert and talking to you in full sentences with a patent airway, but cannot remember what happened, does not know where he is. He does know his name, but not his age. The cop on scene says he has been asking the same questions about what happened to him several times now.

You do not see any immediately obvious bleeding, nor any obvious fractures, but can't rule them out yet due to the awkward positioning of the patient under the truck combined with his full motorcycle clothing.

You're laying down under the truck with the patient holding C-spine, your partner can't access more then the patients legs and left arm, he says you should remove the helmet and place a collar on, and wants the two of you to try to get the patient on the board by yourselves.

Do you remove the helmet or keep it on? Since you're holding C-spine and have only your partner and one cop with you at this point in time do you try to move the patient onto a backboard or wait for incoming fire for assistance? What else would you be trying to do or assess in the meantime?

BTW, you have your local community hospital 2 miles away....though your local Level II trauma center is 5 miles away....both straight down the freeway in the same direction as traffic flow.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Ok so I guess my first question from y'all would be how would you go about securing scene safety on the freeway? You are in the merging lane on the far right and when you locate the collision it is nearly even with you on the far left with a curb in the gorepoint.....do you cut a hard left and hop the curb and park perpendicular to the scene (since you otherwise have no other room to maneuver) or try to pass it and loop around, or even get off at the next exit, hop back on the opposite way and loop around the far way....or another option?
Use the gutter lane, then swing hard and block all traffic with the unit; too bad, so sad, yaaay LA traffic. Bottom line for me? We'll get there when we get there, safe and efficiently. I don't think I need to ovet think this. At least like I said block with the unit, at most park directly in front of the scene.
Anyway, so you get over and start assessing your patient. You find an adult male laying supine almost completely underneath the pickup truck. His hips are pressed up against the driver side front tire with his legs sticking out and his head under the middle of the truck, kind of curled up against the tire (as opposed to laying flat and straight like in EMT class scenarios).
How long has he been pinned? I'm guessing not long? But more importantly, if we can't get him out without the help of the "big burly firemen", you can ask for Bicarb orders juuuust in case; next question...
He is wearing a thick leather jacket and does have a helmet on, not a full face helmet though. It's dark and you can't see much of anything without the aid of a flashlight.
Cool, use my lights, any and all. Unit lights, LE's mag light (I know they're holding), my partners, and of course my trusty Surefire; either way, again not a huge issue...
However, your patient is alert and talking to you in full sentences with a patent airway, but cannot remember what happened, does not know where he is. He does know his name, but not his age. The cop on scene says he has been asking the same questions about what happened to him several times now.
So, clearly at the very least a concussion. High flow O's for the TBI, and keep em' talking until he can be freed.
You do not see any immediately obvious bleeding, nor any obvious fractures, but can't rule them out yet due to the awkward positioning of the patient under the truck combined with his full motorcycle clothing.
We can cut/ remove clothes once freed, again, no bigs...
You're laying down under the truck with the patient holding C-spine, your partner can't access more then the patients legs and left arm, he says you should remove the helmet and place a collar on, and wants the two of you to try to get the patient on the board by yourselves.
Cool, if we can, we'll safely and gently remove it (it's quite simple and given his repetitive questions, better safe than sorry). Also if I have time to kill a quick set of V/S with the freed arm and and IV, again, whilst awaiting fire; moving on...
Do you remove the helmet or keep it on? Since you're holding C-spine and have only your partner and one cop with you at this point in time do you try to move the patient onto a backboard or wait for incoming fire for assistance? What else would you be trying to do or assess in the meantime?
Helmet removal, especially most motorcycle helmets, are fairly straightforward. If we can we will. Too much pain, stop and try once the boys arrive with their "manpower"; not gonna stress over this either. See reply above re: the second part of this question.
BTW, you have your local community hospital 2 miles away....though your local Level II trauma center is 5 miles away....both straight down the freeway in the same direction as traffic flow.
Patient is considered a "yellow tag" at best in my area, he goes to the the Level ll. What else you need, Jimbo?

Also, may I ask: how bad (or good) did the squaddies do?...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It sounds like you would be able to back the truck up safely unless I am not reading that correctly.

Lay him on his back. Remove the helmet. Cut the gear off and do a full trauma assessment. C-collar and depending on protocols backboard. If you are allowed to transport then you might as well load the patient in the ambulance and wait for the medic to get on scene. If not and the transporting unit is not very far away then just chill out on scene.

Record vitals and reasses mental status.

Really the only thing I am going to do as an ALS provider for this patient is start an IV or 2 depending on if I'm feeling froggy or not.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Any potentially critical patient keeps me "froggy", so two locks time permitting.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My last motorcycle down (well one of them) was pretty similar to this patient so far. Only injury was a Fx clavicle. Altered with repetitive questioning. Met up with another ground unit to transport to the trauma center (motorcycle down at 80mph is automatic trauma center transport). I was surprised to see him 4 hours later with just a sling on after being discharged

VentMonkey

Family Guy
My last motorcycle down (well one of them) was pretty similar to this patient so far. Only injury was a Fx clavicle. Altered with repetitive questioning. Met up with another ground unit to transport to the trauma center (motorcycle down at 80mph is automatic trauma center transport). I was surprised to see him 4 hours later with just a sling on after being discharged
Understandable, nonetheless, from all I have been taught, and the simple fact I try and help our trauma team out, that's my "thankin'"...

Heck, I've had RSI's get extubated, but at the time of our arrival it was much safer for everyone (crew, and patient), so I say, let 'em hash it out at the ED; truly not that big a deal though:).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Understandable, nonetheless, from all I have been taught, and the simple fact I try and help our trauma team out, that's my "thankin'"...

Heck, I've had RSI's get extubated, but at the time of our arrival it was much safer for everyone (crew, and patient), so I say, let 'em hash it out at the ED; truly not that big a deal though:).
I used to hate motorcycle down calls. Since I have been on our racetrack team we get way more than our fair share of riders down. Luckily they are required to wear around $2,000 worth of gear so the majority of what we get are broken long bones, abrasions, and concussions.

The going price tag for flights from the track to the trauma center currently is $42,000. So we ground transport a lot of them. If they are out for more than 5 minutes or have any seizure activity then we will fly (unless airship is too far out).

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I used to hate motorcycle down calls. Since I have been on our racetrack team we get way more than our fair share of riders down. Luckily they are required to wear around $2,000 worth of gear so the majority of what we get are broken long bones, abrasions, and concussions.

The going price tag for flights from the track to the trauma center currently is $42,000. So we ground transport a lot of them. If they are out for more than 5 minutes or have any seizure activity then we will fly (unless airship is too far out).

Apparently when they first started the track, they could buy flight insurance through the air companies. Not sure if they still do that.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's been a while since I've done one of these. My last lmotorcyclist down was wearing full protective gear. Hit something and went underneath a vehicle, prone. We got him slid out and rolled over, entire front of the helmet was full of blood. He was unconscious, responsive to painful stimuli with a groan. Got his helmet off, suctioned out his airway, jaw thrust airway and a board/collar.

He became fully awake and alert shortly after we got him in the truck, turned out he had bit his tongue when he hit the ground.He did get 2 large bore lines and uncomfortable ride to the hospital.

When we got him to the trauma center, they spun his head and his neck. Nothing wrong with him aside from his tongue. Discharged two hours later. Thank god for Kevlar suits.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Apparently when they first started the track, they could buy flight insurance through the air companies. Not sure if they still do that.
Reach air still has a program where you pay per year and if you get flown you are not charged. However at the track you have about a 25% chance of getting Reach. Could be Mercy, Reach, Native Air, Careflight, or CHP.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I was almost so proud of my last motorcycle crash. Dude had an awesome helmet and a thick jacket. Some hand abrasions due to crappy gloves. Upper body was fine, barely anything. Wore freaking khakis though and got a nice scrape on his *** and legs though. I remember looking at him going "dude, kudos on the helmet, but why the khakis?"

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I was almost so proud of my last motorcycle crash. Dude had an awesome helmet and a thick jacket. Some hand abrasions due to crappy gloves. Upper body was fine, barely anything. Wore freaking khakis though and got a nice scrape on his *** and legs though. I remember looking at him going "dude, kudos on the helmet, but why the khakis?"
Good protective motorcycle pants that aren't baggy and grungy are expensive. Imagine wearing oversized BDUs over your regular pants.

There are a crazy few who will wear all leathers though.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Reach air still has a program where you pay per year and if you get flown you are not charged. However at the track you have about a 25% chance of getting Reach. Could be Mercy, Reach, Native Air, Careflight, or CHP.
How close to the AZ border is this racetrack?

Back on topic, again, as far as getting to the patient, I am no extrication expert, so if they're pinned there's not a whole lot I can but wait for them to be safely extricated. You can approach the scene several different ways, but as long as you're safe and you protect yourself, your crew, and your patient, then you'll be able to treat them when they're treatable. I guess the bottom line for me is that it's trauma, so treatment-wise it seems pretty straightforward, and there's no reason to rush to try and figure out how to get the patient from underneath the vehicle if it can't be done safely without heavy extrication equipment.

Again, the biggest thing here being the safety of everyone involved on these types of incidents.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Interesting. I'm guessing the CareFlight airship would be coming from Havasu.