Motion Sickness

EHerrera

Forum Ride Along
Whats up guys! Been working as an EMT for about a month now and I was quick to realize I get very bad motion sickness. I love every aspect of the job...the patients, the help involved, etc...It is my dream to become a paramedic FF but with the crippling effects of motion sickness I'm not sure of that anymore. I've been taking dramamine but it doesn't work fully sometimes. Not sure if I'm "cut out" to he a medic or if this is something that can be worked with. Anyone else struggle with this? If so, can you share advice/food for thought. Thanks!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
There's a lot of home remedies. A lot of people say ginger helps. Ginger Altoids seem to work for me. I also have a prescription for Zofran ODT and I keep a couple in my pocket. They seem to work pretty well

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Have you tried meclizine (AKA non-drowsy Dramamine, Bonine, Antivert)? I find it much more effective than dimenhydrinate (AKA regular Dramamine).

OP
OP
E

EHerrera

Forum Ride Along
There's a lot of home remedies. A lot of people say ginger helps. Ginger Altoids seem to work for me. I also have a prescription for Zofran ODT and I keep a couple in my pocket. They seem to work pretty well
I need to try this! Havent tried ginger altoids. Where can I buy them?

OP
OP
E

EHerrera

Forum Ride Along
Have you tried meclizine (AKA non-drowsy Dramamine, Bonine, Antivert)? I find it much more effective than dimenhydrinate (AKA regular Dramamine).
I currently take non drowsy dramamine 30 minutes before shift. Does bonine and antivert work?

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Ever hear of these? Worth a try. Odds are, this will pass with time. A multi-modal approach is best.

Attachments

• sea-band-window.png
    sea-band-window.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 160

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I currently take non drowsy dramamine 30 minutes before shift. Does bonine and antivert work?

Non-drowsy Dramamine is the same active ingredient as bonine. If you find that the active ingredient (meclizine) doesn't work, maybe try dimenhydrinate.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Good suggestion about meclizine, although I wouldn't call it non-drowsy. Also, Bonine and Antivert are brand names for meclizine.