Most memorable patient?

lissa304

Forum Probie
Bored, who is your most memorable patient/situation?? GO!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I have had a few... Not going to tell in a public forum. Sorry.

cprted

Forum Captain
Definitely had a couple, each for different reasons.

One in particular ... got tagged with a transfer home in the middle of the night, not too impressed with dispatch, but anyhow ... get the pleasant old fella loaded up and away we go ... his home was in the next town down the highway, about 25 mins away. I minimally engage in typical smalltalk and mentioned that it was unusually cold that night. He looks at me and asked, "have you ever heard of a place called Stalingrad?" Ok, now you have my attention! As a young Lt. in the Wehrmacht, he was part of an engineering regiment and spend 2 weeks in Stalingrad during the thick of the fighting before his troop got evacuated (by plane, they were valued a little more than the average Jerry). Later on he told me about setting demolition charges on bridges along the Oder river as Soviet tanks were coming over the horizon. When we got him home and tucked into bed, he was still a little uneasy on his feet and asked if he was going to be ok at home with just him and his wife. He reached over and patted a 30-06 that was tucked behind his night stand and said, "I'll be fine." I believed him lol. God help the sh*trat who tries to break into that house!

Not everyday you get to meet a veteran of the Battle of Stalingrad!

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I have had a few... Not going to tell in a public forum. Sorry.

I have a few as well. Unfortunately, I'm not going to discuss them in a public forum either :sad:

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I've had some memorable bystanders, those are the ones that stick in my mind.. Regular people, with no medical training, who have gone completely out of their way to help a total stranger in need because it's the human thing to do.

The one that I think about often is a guy on the street who literally took the shirt off his back to wrap an old man in, and was cradling him when we arrived.. Another was a 15 year old kid who saw an elderly woman in need and he, too, was cradling her in his arms and stroking her hair when I arrived.