Most glutose administered to a patient

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I wanted to see how many of you have administered more than 2 (15g) oral glutose to one person.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I've only ever done 1 tube to a patient. Typically they get a mix of glucose (or D50, or Glucagon) and then when able... real food / orange juice / soda.

Tommerag

What day is it?
I've only ever done 1 tube to a patient. Typically they get a mix of glucose (or D50, or Glucagon) and then when able... real food / orange juice / soda.

Same here

Sam Adams

Forum Lieutenant
Generally only give one. Typically administered while someone is making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or something. I have given three a LONG time ago. Never again though. It upset their stomach so much they vomited, and let me tell you, oral glucose vomit is not, NOT easy to clean.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I gave three last night over the span of 1 hour without any vomiting. Then pt ate a meal and drank fluids. It took more because initial CBG was 19 after 10 minutes it was 41 and another 30 it was 63.

reaper

Working Bum
Why not go to D10 or D50? That is a long time to sit with a BGL that low.

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
I've seen three given before. No IV sites available. Pt still alert but not oriented. Able to protect airway and had no trouble consuming the first tube. Initial BGL was in the 20s. We made it as high as the 50s by the time we got to the hospital but the pt was fully alert and oriented.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I've seen three given before. No IV sites available. Pt still alert but not oriented. Able to protect airway and had no trouble consuming the first tube. Initial BGL was in the 20s. We made it as high as the 50s by the time we got to the hospital but the pt was fully alert and oriented.

yeah my patient was like this, alert but not oriented and it was coming up. my patient did not want to go to hospital.

Three IV attempts failed, pt alert enough to say paramedics always fix me and pt had dr. appt in a couple of days.

Family also adamant on not transporting.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
yeah my patient was like this, alert but not oriented and it was coming up. my patient did not want to go to hospital.

Three IV attempts failed, pt alert enough to say paramedics always fix me and pt had dr. appt in a couple of days.

Family also adamant on not transporting.

Why no Glucagon?

StickySideDown

Forum Crew Member
I've given three tubes over the course of 20 minutes without vomiting.

Pt was AAOx3, First BGL was in the low 20s, gave one tube, waited 5 minutes and then we were in the upper 40s. Gave one more tube, dropped back down into the 20's. Gave a third tube. Arrived at the hospital.

Medics unable to get an IV started anywhere after multiple attempts in the arms, hands, and feet throughout the whole process.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Glucagon?

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
I never have given tube glucose. The only time I needed some PO glucose, my EMT helped the man with some orange juice, I made him a nice fat turkey and swiss on cracked wheat, with purple onion and mayo and watched him eat the whole thing. He was fine in 20 minutes.

C-4 PRS AMA.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I never have given tube glucose. The only time I needed some PO glucose, my EMT helped the man with some orange juice, I made him a nice fat turkey and swiss on cracked wheat, with purple onion and mayo and watched him eat the whole thing. He was fine in 20 minutes.

C-4 PRS AMA.

You don't have a lot of experience then do you? ;)

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
What is Glutose? Is that a trade name or just a case of a medic not knowing the medication he's providing?

I've never had to give more than one tube of glucose. If the patient has an altered LOC they get transported. Glucagon if they're unable to take anything orally.

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I've given two, then the medic showed up and gave a third, and the pt was drinking orange juice during the whole thing.

Pt ended up vomiting, But she did so late enough that most of the sugar was able to be absorbed.

---
- This post brought to you by Tapatalk

medic417

The Truth Provider