More basic clinicals during medic program??

bigdude

Forum Probie
I completed my EMT-B training at a community college in Michigan (OCC). I am currently a state licensed EMT-B. I wanted to go on to medic school because I want to become a PA and the HCE is the only requirement I need before I can apply. Anyway, part of the medic program at OCC is doing another semester of clinicals as a Basic riding with other Basics, 3 days per week 8-12 hours per day. So I would be in an ambulance with two other basics who hold the same licensure as me but I would be a basic student….again. This doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, so I asked the program director at OCC the point of this requirement, he said it reinforces your basic skill set.

Does this sound right anyone?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Never heard of that before. Seems mildly pointless to me, but each program is different...

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
I completed my EMT-B training at a community college in Michigan (OCC). I am currently a state licensed EMT-B. I wanted to go on to medic school because I want to become a PA and the HCE is the only requirement I need before I can apply. Anyway, part of the medic program at OCC is doing another semester of clinicals as a Basic riding with other Basics, 3 days per week 8-12 hours per day. So I would be in an ambulance with two other basics who hold the same licensure as me but I would be a basic student….again. This doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, so I asked the program director at OCC the point of this requirement, he said it reinforces your basic skill set.

Is a 911 unit? That may be helpful for that have never run 911 calls at all. Then the ride outs as a medic wouldn't be so stressful for first time 911 runners.

OP
OP
bigdude

bigdude

Forum Probie
Is a 911 unit? That may be helpful for that have never run 911 calls at all. Then the ride outs as a medic wouldn't be so stressful for first time 911 runners.

No 911 unit.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

You can satisfy the HCE requirements for PA school while working as a basic too. If you're end goal is to be a PA, why bother stopping at paramedic?

Anjel

Forum Angel

That's not howq it works FYI. I went through the program and took the class last semester.

You do 6 more ER rotations and 5 ambulance rotations on an ALS unit. It helped me a lot actually. Getting to ride with ALS and see what I would soon be doing. I don't think it should be mandatory but it was definitely helpful.

OP
OP
bigdude

bigdude

Forum Probie
yeah this makes no sense at all, have you checked into other programs?

Yes but OCC is the cheapest, academy's are too expensive.

You can satisfy the HCE requirements for PA school while working as a basic too. If you're end goal is to be a PA, why bother stopping at paramedic?

In my area there are only 2 PA schools, so competition for admission is high, EMT-B would not make me a competitive applicant.

That's not howq it works FYI. I went through the program and took the class last semester.

You do 6 more ER rotations and 5 ambulance rotations on an ALS unit. It helped me a lot actually. Getting to ride with ALS and see what I would soon be doing. I don't think it should be mandatory but it was definitely helpful.

Did you take EMS 1400? That is the class I am talking about where I would be with other basics. I asked Mrs. Martin about it, she confirmed it.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Yrs I took 1400 and I promise you ride Als

OP
OP
bigdude

bigdude

Forum Probie
Yrs I took 1400 and I promise you ride Als

Well thats a relief. I wonder why Mrs. Martin told me othewise? She said the only way I would be on ALS is if a basic truck is not available. Thanks for the information!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Well thats a relief. I wonder why Mrs. Martin told me othewise? She said the only way I would be on ALS is if a basic truck is not available. Thanks for the information!

Mr myers is the one in charge with that. So if you still have questions email him.

But ya I never stepped foot on a BLS ambulance during that class.