Mohawk Ambulance- Albany County

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Just looking for some information anybody may have that is not on the website, or google for that matter. Is mohawk a transport company or 911? Is it hell working there? those types of things. Thank you everybody :)

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
I know people that have worked there; in the city of Albany there is a lot of 911, but you serve as a taxi for the fire/medics most of the time, same thing with Schenectady. Rensselaer county is pretty 911 transport heavy from what I've been led to believe. Just like any private, transfers are the bread and butter and (especially as a newbie) you would probably take a fair share, but most of the people i know have been involved with the company quite a few years at this point in varying capacities and don't seem to have any horribly grievous complaints.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

UpstateMedic4459

Forum Ride Along
I work for Mohawk, We do 911 as well as Transports in the City of Albany there are 4 dedicated BLS ambulances (2 from Central Ave, 2 from Quail St) to cover 911 with other BLS rigs dedicated to Transports unless needed to run a call in the city. In Schenectady the city at peak is covered by 7 BLS ambulances (Including 2 BLS rigs from our Glenville station) who share responsibility between running 911 and doing transports. In Albany and Schenectady ALS care is provided by the career fire departments (Albany BLS&ALS and Schenectady is Full ALS), so on a call the FD will respond with an piece of apparatus (Albany is for Brovo through Echo) and if the patient is deemed to need ALS the Firefighter/Paramedic will control care on the way to the hospitals. Northern Rensselaer County is covered through our stations in Troy and Brunswick where there is an ALS rig stationed at each. The City of Rensselaer is covered by ALS rigs stationed in Albany. Mohawk covers all of Schenectady County with the exception of Rotterdam and half of the town of Niskayuna who have their own ambulances there are 3 to 4 ALS rigs staffed in Schenectady County between our Schenectady and Glenville Stations. We have an SCT (Specialty Care Transport) Team which is Based out of Glenville. We have a Pediatric Critical Care Unit in Partnership with Albany Medical Center. We do Transports out of Ellis, Albany Med, St. Peters, Albany Memorial and Samaritan Hospitals. In the summers Mohawk provides EMS coverage for the Saratoga Race Course. We provide coverage for events as well. Mohawk also does a wide arrangement of Long Distance Transports. Since I've worked here the longest I have seen go out is Delaware but we regularly go to Boston, NYC and Syracuse.

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT