Middle School EMS Club Advice Thread

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've thought about it, asked you for suggestions, and now am proposing a middle school EMS club. I have the school and ambulance service's approval, now I just need to think of content and do some planning. I have lots of questions that I'm going to offload on you over the next few months, and I hope you'll be able to provide me some direction.

Club Goals:

• To create an environment where students may explore the career of EMS.
  • Through exploration and learning, students gain life-long skills and knowledge from the program, and will have a greater understanding of the role of EMS in their community.
  • Students are encouraged to experience positive leadership from both adult and youth leaders in the community and to seize opportunities to take on leadership roles.
Format:
Students would meet for two hours per week after school. Part of this time would be spent learning, part actually doing hands-on activities.

Topics:
  1. Introduction to the EMS system
  2. Basic First Aid
  3. CPR
  4. Use of AED
  5. Patient handling
  6. Patient assessment
  7. Communications
  8. Mass casualty incidents
Special Considerations:

• Age-appropriate (11-13 year olds)
  • Students may practice splinting and non-invasive first aid on each other
  • Students will be supervised and instructed on proper use of medical supplies and equipment.
  • Certain training (CPR/AED) carries mandated minimum course time requirements.
  • This club will find a way to accommodate students with learning and physical disabilities.
This is all I'll keep in this post, but I have many more issues or questions posted below.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Getting Started

Okay, now it's time for my questions. I'm seeking any feedback or ideas you may have. Some of you've known me for a long time, others only a few days. This club means a lot to me, and I'd really like it to succeed. Many of you have had experience in explorers and other similar clubs, which I have not, so I really need your advice on direction!

1. What do you think about the format. I figured two hours once a week would be good. It would allow us an hour or so for academic parts, and an hour or so to play around. Any thoughts?
  2. What type of supplies should I be securing at this point?
    • I figure I want enough supplies so each "team" can run a drill that night. Would a BLS jump bag work?
  3. How many people should I aim for in the club? 10? 20?
  4. Do you think the topics we've covered are good / engaging? Do you have any suggestions?
  5. Do I need to take anything else into consideration?
I have a lot on my mind, and right now it's coming out in pieces. Any advice you may have on this is appreciated. If you've been in the explorers, and would be willing to chat via the room or IM, please PM me and let me know! I'd love to hear your experiences of what did and did not work.

Thanks!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I would also suggest sections about Scene Safety and BSI. Looks good, and let us know how it goes. I also agree that a BLS Jump Kit would probably suffice for equipment needed.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Maybe you can also get your local 911 dispatch center to come in and talk about the 911 system and EMD

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
ffemt8978 said:
Maybe you can also get your local 911 dispatch center to come in and talk about the 911 system and EMD

I thought of that, but our dispatch center is outsourced to a place 30-45 minutes away. I thought it was awesome just walking through the place. I'm thinking I may do a video.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
When it comes to First Aid training kits, let me know if I can help. We have little training packages that we use for our first aid classes.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Chimpie said:
When it comes to First Aid training kits, let me know if I can help. We have little training packages that we use for our first aid classes.

Two cravats, a roller gauze, two gauze squares and a pair of gloves?

I bought five cases of them on ebay, had 2,000 Cravats... :p

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Anyone have any ideas for cheap nitrile gloves? I'm thinking latex wouldn't be a good choice.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
MMiz said:
Anyone have any ideas for cheap nitrile gloves? I'm thinking latex wouldn't be a good choice.

Check your local hospital for expired/possible donation of vinyl or nitrile gloves. You may be able to reuse them (for training purposes only) to help cut down costs.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
ffemt8978 said:
Check your local hospital for expired/possible donation of vinyl or nitrile gloves. You may be able to reuse them (for training purposes only) to help cut down costs.

Also check your local Veteranary offices, they're usually happy to help out.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
My only advice after looking at the outline is to not make it too rigid and structured. In EMT class, you have to set up the basics first and build up.

11-13 year olds don't have a really big attention span and might not want to stay after school instead of going to a friend's house if it's not "cool" and "exciting". You have to do half really cool and half basics each session.

Throw in "cool" topics...environmental emergencies tend to be cool to kids (snakes, poison ivy, spiders). Keep mentioning the upcoming cool events like ambulance visits. Bring in (appropriate) pictures for the different topics/injuries you guys are discussing. They needs hands-on, interactivity, visuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
AnthonyM83 said:
My only advice after looking at the outline is to not make it too rigid and structured. In EMT class, you have to set up the basics first and build up.

11-13 year olds don't have a really big attention span and might not want to stay after school instead of going to a friend's house if it's not "cool" and "exciting". You have to do half really cool and half basics each session.

Throw in "cool" topics...environmental emergencies tend to be cool to kids (snakes, poison ivy, spiders). Keep mentioning the upcoming cool events like ambulance visits. Bring in (appropriate) pictures for the different topics/injuries you guys are discussing. They needs hands-on, interactivity, visuals.

So what are some cool topics? I have:
  • Full cardiac code
  • Ambulance tours / info
  • Opticoms / MIRT / MDT / Radio Communication
  • Patient handling (backboarding, etc)
  • MCIs
Any other ideas?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
they'll create ideas for you MMiz, their minds churn a tad faster ...

good luck

~S~

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
On the same thought, you should have the last half hour of the week leaving them "in charge". Dedicate the time to answering thier questions, going over whatever they want to. This will also show you thier progress and let you know where the heaviest interest is, and will encourage them to be more involved.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This would brought up before and immediately shot down. I have to bring it up again because it just sounds like too good of an idea.

What about having students trained in CPR/First Aid act as first-response type units in the middle school? They would have the CPR/First Aid/AED supplies along with an 800 MHz to EMS dispatch / units.

Thoughts?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
good one.

we go down the elementary school every year. we've asked the group of kids in the past, after show & tell, who'd like to be the patient, and the rest play emt

they do a great job really, we set them up with anything non-invasive

but it's all just play time to them, to have to deal with 250 lbs of coded janitor ...well...i just don't know what ages are able to cofront such mortality

~S~

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Stevo said:
good one.

we go down the elementary school every year. we've asked the group of kids in the past, after show & tell, who'd like to be the patient, and the rest play emt

they do a great job really, we set them up with anything non-invasive

but it's all just play time to them, to have to deal with 250 lbs of coded janitor ...well...i just don't know what ages are able to cofront such mortality

~S~

It really does sound like a great idea, but your dealing with ages that may not even really understand death yet (some I said, not all). Not to mention dealing with parents, some might freak out at the thought of thier 10 year old performing CPR on an MI. Playing with dummies and other kids is great practice and good learning but in no way prepares them for the 250lb janitor.

For example, my first code...I was 26, was no young chicken or very green in the field. I handled the code textbook, even got a sinus rythm back. The ER took over, I asked the medic how he thought I did...said I did great, then told him I HAD to have a cigg, I'd brb. Had a full on panic attack once I was alone and lit up. And of course I had to hide that I was having a panic attack from the medics, but I didn't calm down until I got back to the station with my xanax.

This is just a for instance, but definitely take it into consideration. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but be REALLY careful it's a delicate situation.

(and I apologize, I didn't mean to shoot the idea down the first time)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercedeslove

Forum Ride Along
Are you actually serious? 12-year-olds? That's a joke. A 12-year-old shouldn't touch an AED, yet alone preform CPR on anyone. They can't handle the mental stress of CPR. They also don't have the strength to handle compressons on an adult.

Really lady it's a bad idea. I'd soon rather die then allow a 12-year-old to do cpr on me or a family member.

Most 12-years-old can't go to the movies alone, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to do anything like that.