Michigan Reciprocity

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone.

I am a paramedic in IL (Chicago area.) And there is a possibility I may be moving to Michigan. I do have my National and from what I understand MI will grant reciprocity through that. I was just curious if anyone knew the process of getting a Michigan license. On form I am filling out there is a "Michigan Education Program Sponsor" section. Does this mean I need to have some sort of employment promise (for Con-ed maybe?) before they'll grant me a license?

On that note, I am moving out there to maintain a relationship, but I am continuing my schooling at Eastern Michigan University, so I would like to find some sort of employment by Ypislianti/Ann Arbor area. (Although I will be not overly far from the Detroit-metro area so that works, too.)A google search showed Huron Valley as an ambulance company around Ann Arbor, and I know Detroit has companies like Superior, Universal, Medstar, etc, but I was curious if anyone knew anything more about opportunities for paramedics closer to the Ypsi area.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Anjel

Forum Angel
HVA or Livingston county EMS is.probably the best that Michigan area has to offer. HVA is huge and.competitive.

As far as the licensing goes, it is pretty quick and easy once you meet all requirements. Im not exactly sure the steps though.

Stay away from most genesse county companies. Stay away from Universal. Medstar is a great company, but far from ypsi.

Superior is pretty far too, and not many 911 contracts. And do not go to Beaumont.

If you can I would fight hard for HVA or Livingston.

They have crazy tests to get in, but not impossible. Livingston is the only place around that has RSI.

I live in the general area. PM me with any other questions you have.

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
HVA or Livingston county EMS is.probably the best that Michigan area has to offer. HVA is huge and.competitive.

As far as the licensing goes, it is pretty quick and easy once you meet all requirements. Im not exactly sure the steps though.

Stay away from most genesse county companies. Stay away from Universal. Medstar is a great company, but far from ypsi.

Superior is pretty far too, and not many 911 contracts. And do not go to Beaumont.

If you can I would fight hard for HVA or Livingston.

They have crazy tests to get in, but not impossible. Livingston is the only place around that has RSI.

I live in the general area. PM me with any other questions you have.

HEY!! I used to work there! lol... (but yes, probably good advice nonetheless)

Achilles

Forum Moron
HVA covers all of Washtenaw which includes A2 and Ypsi. I know the old director of LMS and it's a pretty reputable company, then you've got Community, health link, and Concorde.

OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
Hey, thanks everyone. (A special thanks to anjel for his help in PMs.)

I don't know if I could ever work for community, only because I used to date a girl (before either her or I worked in EMS) who, last I heard, worked for community. Granted, this was years ago, so who know whatever happened to her--as she may not even be there anymore--but if she is i'd rather continue my life without ever having to interact with her aain haha.

Although if it came down to it and it was the only place I could get hired i'd still take it.

I intend on applying at a couple places out there, soon as I get my MI license through reciporcity. This move isn't 100% for me yet, there are still some things I gotta figure out. And talk over with my girl. But if it happens it's gonna happen fast, so I'm lookin into it now.

Also, why would I want to avoid beaumont? I thought that was known as a good hospital. (Or am I remembering wrong?) Are there many hospitals out there that hire paramedics?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Im a girl :rolleyes:

And beaumont medical transportation is owned by community.

They pay well, but it is ALL IFT. Thats it.

All of the hospitals hire medics as techs. And pay well. Look at urgent cares too.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Im a girl :rolleyes:

And beaumont medical transportation is owned by community.

They pay well, but it is ALL IFT. Thats it.

All of the hospitals hire medics as techs. And pay well. Look at urgent cares too.

You are a very pretty girl.

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant

If you are looking to use this job as a "stepping stone", do not do this... being a tech is not something a future employer is going to be thrilled about seeing (unless you plan on becoming a nurse or something)... try for the 911 experience somewhere.

As said earlier, i settled for disgustingly low pay for the experience over decent pay somewhere that does transfers or tech work... just my 2 cents..

side note: most hospitals that i worked with while i was in that area hired people with basic CPR training and then did on the job training for tech work.

Last edited by a moderator:

jgw1981

Forum Probie
If you are a paramedic and are moving to the Detroit Area... and you want to do rescue. Try Huron Valley (Ann Arbor), Star (Pontiac) and Healthlink (Taylor). All do mostly rescue as medics with the BLS side picking up the IFT load. You will do ALS IFT work with monitor, vent and pump but they all do lots of rescue. Livingston is a great system but hard to get into. Superior is also trying to get into the rescue game especially the city of Detroit. I second (or third or fourth) avoiding Beaumont. Great hospital, not so great run ambulance service. They are half owned by Beaumont Hospitals and half owned by Community EMS.

As for licensing, go to the following site:

www.michigan.gov/ems

that should help!

Anjel

Forum Angel
If you are a paramedic and are moving to the Detroit Area... and you want to do rescue. Try Huron Valley (Ann Arbor), Star (Pontiac) and Healthlink (Taylor). All do mostly rescue as medics with the BLS side picking up the IFT load. You will do ALS IFT work with monitor, vent and pump but they all do lots of rescue. Livingston is a great system but hard to get into. Superior is also trying to get into the rescue game especially the city of Detroit. I second (or third or fourth) avoiding Beaumont. Great hospital, not so great run ambulance service. They are half owned by Beaumont Hospitals and half owned by Community EMS.

As for licensing, go to the following site:

www.michigan.gov/ems

that should help!

Im pretty fond of Star myself :)

OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
If you are looking to use this job as a "stepping stone", do not do this... being a tech is not something a future employer is going to be thrilled about seeing (unless you plan on becoming a nurse or something)... try for the 911 experience somewhere.

As said earlier, i settled for disgustingly low pay for the experience over decent pay somewhere that does transfers or tech work... just my 2 cents..

side note: most hospitals that i worked with while i was in that area hired people with basic CPR training and then did on the job training for tech work.

I’m not so much seeing this as a stepping stone as much a “make enough money to provide for myself while I continue toward my BA. (I’m currently at Lewis University in IL and was just accepted at Eastern Michigan University.) While I never intend to let my paramedic license lapse and want to keep it up, what my career may wind up being is nothing related to the medical field whatsoever.