Michigan question regarding MMR

computerpro1

Forum Ride Along
Sorry if the question sounds dumb....but I'm kind of new to the pre-hospital scene......
Why do most people rag on MMR? Are they below the other services in the state?? Thats all we have in the Mid Michigan area.

I noticed in another thread regarding Paramedic schooling.... most people said to stay away from MMR???

I am in their EMT-B program now. They seem fine to me..??? Is there something I should know about????

OP
OP
C

computerpro1

Forum Ride Along
guess no one knows????

Did I word the question wrong?? I just heard MMR mentioned in a negative way on this forum and wondered why.. thats all. Please PM me if you cant post it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
What is MMR? The only MMR that I know is the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Mobile Medical Response (http://www.mobilemedical.org/) is really like any private EMS provider in the region. You'll be hard pressed to find any service that is universally respected. Having said that, I believe that EMS education belongs at a community college and not at a private institution.

Good luck at MMR!

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Mobile Medical Response (http://www.mobilemedical.org/) is really like any private EMS provider in the region. You'll be hard pressed to find any service that is universally respected. Having said that, I believe that EMS education belongs at a community college and not at a private institution.

Good luck at MMR!

Where it is promptly run by people straight out of private education/EMS companies and FD's. It isn't the school but the people who run the programs that makes or breaks them, regardless of the learning institution. Just my 2 cents worth of experience.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Where it is promptly run by people straight out of private education/EMS companies and FD's. It isn't the school but the people who run the programs that makes or breaks them, regardless of the learning institution. Just my 2 cents worth of experience.

Agreed! Most of the colleges around here have EMS programs run by the private EMS company down the street. The staff is what makes or breaks the program - wherever they come from.

I've had the opportunity to interact with many that have gone through MMR's programs that have like the program and done well. I've also heard the opposite. Probably depends on the instructor and what you put into it, as it does anywhere else.

jsoelberg

Forum Ride Along
MMR employee

People are going to rag on any company, and MMR is ragged on a lot because they are one of the largest private ambulance companies in the nation (#5 I believe). I got my Basic license from a community college w/ no private company involvement and loved my experience, but it took a full year, where MMR trains you in 4-6 months. I am in the Paramedic program at MMR and I love it. It is very thorough and gives you a great deal of clinical experience in one of the busiest systems around, Saginaw, MI.